Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does anybody know......?

Poster: A snowHead
I've just been in the Snow and Rock website, and see there is a massive sale on.

I fancy some new skis. Volkl 5* are £349 but 6* are £329.

Can anybody enlighten me about the difference. The 6* were originally £549, so this represents a bigger saving than the 5*s, that were £499. There's no point in saving money though if the ski doesn't suit me.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter B, much has been written about your quandary. You can read some of it here:

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=23787&highlight=VOlkl

About the 6*:
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=24132&highlight=VOlkl

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=25379&highlight=VOlkl

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=24848&highlight=VOlkl

The name of those skis doesn't lend itself to searching. You might, however, seek out spyderjon's experience.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
have a look here
http://www.volkl.com
the German site gives a bit more info on construction. the 6 star seems to be stiffer and more race oriented for a more agressive/faster skier.

No matter which ski you get, Voelkl rule.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Who's Voelkl?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marc gledhill, Voelkl = Vo(umlaut)lkl

The umlaut is the pair of dots over the o, pronounced "ur" rather than "o"
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was told by an ex French national squad coach that the 6* was a "ridiculous" ski which was far too stiff even for some lighter racers - his advice was to go with the 5*'s which i did, and i love them.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marc gledhill, Plake, like this:- ö
I don't know, so much computer so little knowledge wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowman wrote:
the 6 star seems to be stiffer and more race oriented for a more agressive/faster skier.

I am going to attempt to finesse a point here, probably without too much success.

I don't think it is a question of agressiveness or speed, rather precision and a commitment to carve every turn. I have seen one of our local club racers ski the 6* amongst trees, 150cm at 140lbs and at speeds anyone could catch by straighlining. Every section of his path was an arc, and his style was to be extremely light on his feet with delicate but fast edge changes, ice skating rather than anything else.

It takes a bit of retraining to find the line that skis like that, and it requires a higher awareness of the hill.

YMMV
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque wrote:
marc gledhill, Plake, like this:- ö
I don't know, so much computer so little knowledge wink

There's a couple of Firefox add-in that make it very easy to add special characters like ö.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque, that's just an open mouth smiley wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skanky, It's on your keyboard if you learn where to look! You don't need any add/plug-ins rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter B, I bought the 5* last year and it is a superb ski, but I have also skied the 6* last easter. The 6 is very stiff but extremely responsive (But can catch you out !) I wouldn't want to ski too much off-piste with the 6.
I ski approx 70% piste and the 5 is a good alrounder for this, you find that you are unable to ski too leisurely on these ski's though, they really want to be pushed to get the best from them.

Both are very good prices ! (May be tempted myself !)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
M80euf wrote:
I was told by an ex French national squad coach that the 6* was a "ridiculous" ski which was far too stiff even for some lighter racers - his advice was to go with the 5*'s which i did, and i love them.
Your coach has a disappointing opinion. No, more than that, he's wrong. 5* is a great ski, though. 6* isn't a problem for any accomplished skier. Balderdash!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmm. IMHO there is no "right" or "wrong" in this matter. He was referring to the first incarnation of the 6* and maybe they have made it a little softer this year. I think the advice from the thread is pretty clear - unless you are an extremely accomplished technical skier, don't bother with the 6*. Many recreational skiers over-estimate their abilities and are mis-advised and mis-sold skis by shops. Don't forget (at list prices) that the retailer makes a better margin on the 6* than the 5*, and in turn the 4*. Why is S&R selling the 6* at a lower price than the 5*? Because they need to shift that stock and are hoping to attract the sort of skier who thinks having a more expensive ski makes them a better skier. That's why independent advice and an honest test is the ONLY way to buy a ski. The fact remains that the majority of people want a ski that flatters their ability and allows them to have as much fun and ski as much of the terrain as possible on their holiday. Just my view Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone for your comments. It looks like the 5*s will be the safest bet. I just need to decide the length now before I go to S&R tonight.
snow report
OT (sort of). HTML code can put in all sorts of special characters easily, and it's fairly intuitive
Code:
ö, Ö è
gives ö, Ö, è etc. The complete list is here: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/entities.html
ski holidays
Peter B

What's your height, weight, aggressiveness and what type of skiing rocks you?

BB
ski holidays
I'm 188cms, about 95 kilos and about ability level 7 on the S&R scale. I ski 75%on piste although dabbling off piste has just begun in the last 18 months. I presently ski 3 year old Salomon Scream 8s length 180cm. I ski reasonably quickly, but seldom go flat out - must be an age thing now that I'm the wrong side of 40.
snow conditions
Pete Horn, OT (sub topic?) use ASCII key sequences, much shorter route to the 256 character font set.
snow report
Peter B

I'd only put myself at a level 8 so take what I say with a pinch of salt. But if I were you I'd go for the 182cm if you can get them, if not then perhaps the 175. The problem with the 175 is that with your size and the narrow waist of the ski you're gonna find it difficult to dabble in the off piste with them - that said your Scream 8's have a narrow waist too so if you've been able to live with those off piste then who knows?

I'm sure someone more learned will step in now...

BB
ski holidays
Sorry BB but I disagree. I am a big lad (>100kg) and around 6ft and I ski on the 175, which I have used off-piste quite a lot with no problems. I am BASI 3 level skier, whatever that makes me on the S&R scale. The 5*'s certainly have less flotation than say, a B2, but Peter B has indicated that he does most of his skiing on piste.

Peter B, if you want a more "all round" ski for off-piste use there are plenty of previous threads on the subject and the consensus suggests trying the B2's and the Stockli Stormriders, which S&R apparently also have on sale. My advice would be to go no longer than the mid 170's and think seriously about one length down from that. Plenty of instructors, large and small are skiing on 155's for their piste/slalom skis. Don't forget, the shorter the ski, the narrower the radius, and IMO the more fun!!
latest report
Thanks folks. I'd thought the 175s would probably be my choice. I can always take my Screams for off piste days if the 5*s aren't as good.
snow conditions
Peter B

I think that you've got to ask yourself is what do you see yourself trying to do over your next years skiing? If you are going to stick to the piste and not go too fast then perhaps the Supersport 175 seems like the one for you.

I have Scream 8's myself in the 170 size and I've skied them for 12 weeks. IMHO a great piste ski at slow/medium speeds, you can really carve it up but start pushing them fast and they get twitchy (too flexible) and off piste (even though they were marketed as a freeride ski) I found the ski heavy and too narrow therefore really hardwork unless you could cane it and get the flotation.

When you said that you'd started dabbling in off piste recently I took this as an indication that's where your aspirations lie, that's why I reckoned on the longer length if you were dead set on the Supersports.

Playing Devil's advocate...
So although the Supersports are better than the Sceam 8s - will you be pushing them hard enough on the piste to notice the difference? Is it worth shelling out the cash?

Playing the Angel on your shoulder...
Get the Supersports in a 175 they're a top notch ski and if you fancy playing in the powder then just rent a pair of fatties for the day.

Cheers

BB
snow conditions
One final point on this subject from me - I saw Prince Edward skiing last year and he was on 5*s. I'm not sure what sort of an endorsement that is. Then again I suppose it makes sense he bought German... Laughing
latest report
Peter B,

As you know, I've got 168cm 5*'s (I'm 175cm, 85kg & also S&R level 7) & I love em for high speed on piste carving etc but my first proper off piste ventures last week in La Rosiere weren't pretty. And, before you say anything, according to my instructor it wasn't all my fault either!

I think that bucking bronco is right in that you have to ask yourself what you want to do in the next year or two. I want to do more off piste whenever possible but at best that's probably still only going to be 50% of the time - and I don't want to have two pairs of skis for on-piste and off-piste use. Afterall, you normally still have to ski out & back on piste etc, unless you can afford a helicopter (how is the lawyering business anyway?)!

My instructor recommended either the Atomic Metron M11 or the B5 to me as a great allrounder. These are wide and heavily side cut and you ski them really short. Prior to going to France I had heard of these from ssh as he and a bunch of the guys on epicski.com ski them. I tried the M11 out there and really liked it both on and off-piste. Incidentally, I also tried the B2 which was much better than my 5*'s off-piste but god it was boring on-piste - I now know what the ski testers mean when thay describe a ski as 'damp'!

Anyway, I've taken the plunge & got a great deal from S&R on the Metron B5 (it's a bit more ski than the M11 with better edge hold on ice I'm told) in 162cm at 40% off list price, that's £359 versus the list price of £599. I know you're thinking that a 162cm ski will be crap off-piste but it's sidecut is 127-76-114 & it has a 11m turning radius - radical carving with loads of float or what! The B5 has the same sidecut as the M11 I tried and I reckon that is nearly as quick edge to edge as my 5* for a ski that's 76mm underfoot compared to the 68mm of the 5*.

My instructor (a Brit) reckoned that these skis are the best kept secret in the UK as they were largely glossed over by the ski press at the start of the season for some reason, probably as they don't really fit neatly in to the industries 'categories' etc. - S&R list the B5 as a 'piste prestige' ski when it's really is a true freerider. Add the fact that it's hard to believe that you ski it so short, that they're pretty heavy & at the top end of the price scale & you can see why they had a few left at a high cost to them, hence the heavy discount. Apparently many of the other manufacturers will be copying this shape next season.

If you fancy a pair then S&R only had 6 pairs left in 162cm (trust me, you'd also ski the 162cm) in the UK & I think that Newbie50 has just taken the plunge so you'd better be quick.

If you don't believe me ask ssh for a second opinion.

Say hi to Beanie from Deb's and me.
latest report
spyderjon, I, too, ski the 162, and this past Saturday had it off-piste in Copper's bowls. Last Tuesday, it was off-piste on Vail with WTFH and crew. All I can say is that the b5 is the best all-around ski I have ever had the joy to ski. It handles transitions from 18" of powder to cut-up to bumps to Colorado hardpack all in one turn without missing a beat. Saturday, I skied the bowls and really openned up my turns to get more speed and they planed right up towards the surface of the snow. Then, I could lay down arcing carves on the groomed, dance through the trees, and on and on!

Given the deal that they are offering in the UK, if you think you can handle a high-end ski like the 6*, the b5 is definitely worth a look. I think it is a considerably more versatile ski then the 5*/6*. It's only downside is it's weight. You don't notice it when skiing, and I don't notice it when I have only skied the Atomics recently, but when I pick up my Fischer RX8s next to the b5s, the latter feel like they are lead-filled!
snow conditions
ssh, first outing on my B5's planned for this Sunday. A UK indoor snowslope in Castleford isn't exactly Colorado but it's better than no skiing at all. One benefit is that the consistent conditions there allow will me to see how the B5's compare to my old 5*'s when going through my regular practice drills.
snow report
Masque, I can't remember the codes to type "AlGr +xxxx" for example. If they exist elsewhere typing, then I will have known them, but I use them so rarely that I've already forgotten the key combination(s) for umlauted characters more than once so anything that requires me not to have to remember is fine. I know the "AltGr+vowel" for the acute accent, and I know about dead keys in French, German, Swiss, Belgian, etc., etc. keyboards, but I don't recall any UK ones. Of course, I could use Character Map, but the FF extension means that the app. required is already running and I don't have to waste time starting a new one.

wink

http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/utilities_fonts.html#visual
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello Peter B, I've just finished 10 days in the Banff area on a pair of 6 stars, 168cm. I'm 6ft and a although heavy at a few pounds off 16 stone, I'm quite fit and I reckon an 8 on the S&R scale

I found them to be pretty good off piste (surprisingly), where I skied all the bowls and chutes I could find, but on piste they're incredible. Be warned however, that you have to ski them hard and keep working with them, get lazy and they bite back.

You may also like to consider the 724 Pro, which may be a little more cooperative off piste.

Sounds like a good deal.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy