Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are online ski selectors any good? (was: Preparing for accidental ski buying)

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Val Thorens in a couple of weeks and thought it might be a good idea to prepare myself for 'accidentally' buying some skis wink

I tried out the ski selector at www.forskiers.com and it suggested these:

Atomic Tweak, 172cm
Rossignol Scratch Mogul, 178cm
Atomic c:9 puls, 170cm
Rossignol Zenith Z5 TP, 170cm
Atomic m:8, 175cm
Rossignol Bandit B1, 170cm

These are a bit longer than the skis I've rented recently (all 160cm), so I'll probably start off by renting some 170cm skis. I'm about 170cm tall and weight 87kg, I'll be ski-ing mainly on piste. I'm happy on blues and fairly happy on reds.

Any suggestions or advice?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 23-03-05 9:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wait for next season's models unless these are going cheap as end of season deals?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
forget that site ? Very Happy looks like nonsense to me, I thought that seemed an odd list, I just tried and it produced nonsense for me.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Embarassed I hadn't actually checked the site. Came up with B1's at 176 for me Puzzled I don't think so... maybe if I mate them with these B3's that I can't get rid of, I'll end up with B2's Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've just checked that site as well, and I think that the recommendations that it came out with for me were not very good.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
no good for me either
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
B1s for me? - nope - just plain wrong.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, well, well... B1s or Atomic M:8s for me. Both in a 182. Ah... nope! Ian Hopkinson, time to tell us what you're really seeking!

What terrain and conditions do you favor?

What speed and turn shape do you prefer?

What kind of feel do you like from the skis?

And, for my sake, if you post again, can you post your height and weight in English measurements so I don't have to go find that blasted conversion site, again? (I love it when folks post their weight in stone!)

I've got some thoughts, but I'd like the answers to those questions, first.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think it lists the skis THEY have for sale, not the ones you need.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Okay, so we've established that I shouldn't trust that online ski selector Shocked, any you would trust?

ssh, at the moment I'm an on piste skier - favourite terrain / conditions: I don't think I have a strong preference here - I like some steep stuff for a bit of challenge, but I'm also happy gliding down broad gentle blues. I don't like piles of soft snow towards the end of the day, I don't head towards patches of ice with enthusiasm but not particularly phased if they should appear.

I generally take a broad zigzaggy path down the slope, although as I'm getting more experience my amplitude is getting smaller and I'm starting to go a bit faster without panicing. Tend to leave tighter turns for tricky situations.

Ski feel - that's an interesting questions - I ski intermittently (1-2 weeks a year) and I'm not confident about what is ski feel and what is condition feel. I've had skis flap around a bit and I didn't like that. My impression of the Streetracers I was using a couple of weeks ago was that they were easy to roll over onto their edges - and that was nice.

Now you've done the conversion I won't need to tell you again unless I lose weight or put on a very late growth spurt... wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alan Craggs wrote:
Embarassed I hadn't actually checked the site. Came up with B1's at 176 for me Puzzled I don't think so... maybe if I mate them with these B3's that I can't get rid of, I'll end up with B2's Laughing

It seems to suggest B1's no matter what you enter Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ise, It stumbled all over itself when I tried. At least I didn't get B1s? Wink

Aha, nothing from 2005. At least it got the Head Mad Trix Mojo (181cm) right.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I got the same list as you.Ian Hopkinson, B1 s at 180+? no way. I think my 170s are a bit long! I do like B1s though, but I think they are a bit on the pricey side. snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex wrote:
ise, It stumbled all over itself when I tried. At least I didn't get B1s? Wink

Aha, nothing from 2005. At least it got the Head Mad Trix Mojo (181cm) right.

Puzzled I thought the Mad Trix Mojo only came in a 166, 176 or 186cm length. The Mad Trix (without Mojo in the name) which has the same topskin comes in a 181 - I know this because I nearly f'ed up and bought the wrong ski from ebay Confused
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB, you're absolutely right, the ski selector does only say Trix.

Well.

Thanks for pointing that out.
latest report
It's the classic Internet tool isn't it? No matter what question you ask you get one of the same two or three answers, it could replace 95% of posts really ....
snow conditions
anyone who DOES want B1s can find them going cheap at Snow and Rock - £164 when I last looked, without bindings.
snow report
ise wrote:
It's the classic Internet tool isn't it? No matter what question you ask you get one of the same two or three answers, it could replace 95% of posts really ....

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Volkl *series
Salomon Xscream or 1080
Rossi/Quicksilver B1

I think that should be in the FAQ.
latest report
comprex, you seem to have missed the pocket rocket there Very Happy
ski holidays
In a word, No!

You would be better off getting the views of people on this board.
snow conditions
Complete ballox.

Purely as an example I entered -

Skill level - 9
Aggressive rating - 3
expected terrain - hard pack

And one of the options was the Stockli Coredo TT in a 140. (My 6 year old godson skis on a 140 fer pete's sake) Catch the description, "Coredo TT is an all mountain free carve ski, designed for the beginner through intermediate who wants to improve and have fun doing it."

So how does that reconcile to an ability level of "blah blah expert, blah fastest on hill, etc". Complete nonsense.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, One of my better friends skis a 2002 Stockli Coredo TT on Maine ice and in Nastar gates. In the longer lengths (175cm for his 180lbs) it is quite a reasonable ski for hard pack terrain and absolutely brilliant for a direct line on completely frozen bumps. He only had trouble with them attempting to float in Utah powder- that was _not_ going to happen. I would still pick that ski over any Streetracer at all.

I think the ski selector outfit is actually writing their own descriptions based on factory marketingspeak and then drawing up the correspondence to their stock based on their description. 2 levels of circular erroneous argument, that would be, not counting errors in mapping real humans to ready answers.

Ian Hopkinson, the gentleman reviewing gear on www.ts2003.com has the most of my trust for ski type evaluation. It is not an online selector, but he will (for a membership fee) work with you individually in addition to the reviews he provides for everyone. Notice that the reviews have expected ability and terrain marked, independently of factory marketing niches.
snow report
Yes, my intention was to get the views of the snowHeads on my ski dilema snowHead I thought the ski selector would be a good opening position - as it turns out I was mighty wrong about that rolling eyes But I did learn something.
snow report
Ian Hopkinson, do you have a demo list? I think you're far more likely to find cogent relevant advice if you ask specific questions. Has ssh been able to help you already?
snow report
comprex, I don't think I've reached demo list stage yet! I think I'll start another thread...
snow report
Ian Hopkinson, When you do start your new thread I'll be delighted to see what people reply as apart from H/W ( I'm 180/82 Kg) , the way you describe your abilities sounds how I SHOULD describe mine. I also would like to buy skis in end-of - season sale .BTW - not sure how this fits in but both the Good Lady and I tried Atomic SX-10s last week and they were magic --- not seen any comments on here but give you amazing feel and bite (and pace) on those frosty mornings, also carve like the devil (IMHO)....
ski holidays
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
Okay, so we've established that I shouldn't trust that online ski selector Shocked, any you would trust?

ssh, at the moment I'm an on piste skier - favourite terrain / conditions: I don't think I have a strong preference here - I like some steep stuff for a bit of challenge, but I'm also happy gliding down broad gentle blues. I don't like piles of soft snow towards the end of the day, I don't head towards patches of ice with enthusiasm but not particularly phased if they should appear.

I generally take a broad zigzaggy path down the slope, although as I'm getting more experience my amplitude is getting smaller and I'm starting to go a bit faster without panicing. Tend to leave tighter turns for tricky situations.

Ski feel - that's an interesting questions - I ski intermittently (1-2 weeks a year) and I'm not confident about what is ski feel and what is condition feel. I've had skis flap around a bit and I didn't like that. My impression of the Streetracers I was using a couple of weeks ago was that they were easy to roll over onto their edges - and that was nice.

Now you've done the conversion I won't need to tell you again unless I lose weight or put on a very late growth spurt... wink
Been out skiing the past couple of days, so haven't gotten back to the forums to see this until now. Sorry for the delay...

By "feel" I mean largely the amount of energy that the ski returns to you and the feel for the snow that it offers. The extremes of these, from my perspective, are:

energy: extremely energetic skis (usually a result of a stiff tail, but there can be other design parameters to accomplish it, certainly) tend to "rebound" at the end of the turn, especially. As a result, one can feel like the ski is tossing one around. An extreme lack of energy in a ski can make the ski feel "dead" under foot.

feel: skis with high "feel" transmit the snow's texture through the ski to the foot, allowing the skier full tactile experience and response. The downside is that the skis may seem to "throw one around" due to the feel.

Personally, I prefer high energy and reasonably high feel, and I find that the Fischers and Atomics that I've bought this year offer this. At the other end of the spectrum are skis like the Rossis that so many enjoy: they tend to offer less feel and less energy, but as a result tend to ski more smoothly for many.

Does this help? Let me know your thoughts on feel, but I'll offer my thoughts once I go find that conversion site, again...
snow conditions
The semi-colons separate the groupings (lower skill demands on the left):

Higher feel, high energy (Fischer highest): Fischer RX6, Elan S8; Fischer RX8, Elan S12

Higher feel, mid-energy: Atomic M:10; M:11
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy