Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is a Telemark ???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just spent last week skiing in Pas de la Casa, and as usuall the only thing we watched on t.v. was Eurosport.

One night me and my mate watched the ski jumping for a couple of hours or so. Not having watched ski jumping before, we were not sure what a telemark was. We then started to get really frustrated as the commentator was saying it all the time, but never explained what it was.

I had a feeling it was something to do with the style of the jump, but my mate did not agree.

Can someone please tell me exactly what a telemark is???
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Telemarking is free heel skiing. I'm no expert on ski jumping but I'd guess a telemark is something to do with the binding, or maybe the way they slow down after landing (resembling a telemark skier) perhaps?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
now I am no expert in the art of chucking myself off high hill's in snow.... but, I think a telemark in this instance relates to the positioning of the jumpers feet on landing. I may stand corrected but I think their feet are to land in a staggered postion in landing ie: one foot further forward than the other.

But as I say I am no expert wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski jumpers do indeed land in the 'Telemark' position - Looks like you're doing a curtsy !

I believe that they get extra points for style in the jump and on the landing, where they should execute a perfect Telemark. The reason they do this is that they have free heel skis and you get better front - aft stability on landing by lifting the heel of one ski and dropping the knee, otherwise they would probably do a very good face plant if they got it wrong!

Hope this makes sense!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also, I believe ski jumping bindings are free-heel like telemark bindings - at least I assume that's how they are able to lean so far forwards.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
that'll be why ski jumping is a nordic event then Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lennon, Telemark is a method of skiing developed in the 30's I think it was, in the Telemark region of Norway using skis with free heels. You may also have seen skiers turning by pushing one ski way forward. Many of such skiers dress in retro fashion clothes as there is a growing community of skiers who are using this old method of skiing.

When they say telemark on jumping they are referring to a telemark landing. I think the further the skis apart the more exaggerated the telemark landing, the more the points they get (jumping is decided partly distance and part subjective style points)

Oh and partly on degree of lobotomy carried out on the jumper Razz
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Telemark: a long stain. What a ski jumper exhibits on landing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's an old war film, plenty of hero's IIRC.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy