Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The great single room debate...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@CaravanSkier, and @dogwatch, We occasionally get enquiries from 'lone travellers' and, if they sound 'okay', have offered them our spare bedroom (on the basis that renting a whole apartment would be too expensive for them, at least during the ski season). So far it's been very successful - no weirdos, they get cheap accommodation and some social interaction - with us and our other guests - and free ski/apres-ski guiding, and Mrs TT gets to have a rest while I show them around.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had a really great experience last season in Austria. Small hotel outside of the main village, lowish season (but still on the ski bus route). A double room to myself, with no single supplement. I guess having some occupancy is better than having none.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I spent a goodish amount of time last year trying to sort out a single holiday. I didn't find that there weren't any single rooms available and the supplements weren't unreasonable. Snow and Sunshine had rooms without supplements. Total had really low prices so that the supplement was effectively swallowed up. And Admin was the dearest!

I used to have to share rooms with my work years ago and I did it again a couple of years ago. It made me uncomfortable. Habits that seem normal to me and my family were suddenly embarrassing and there was a sense that I could never relax. I was always in social mode, thinking about other people and how to behave (I don't think I'm naturally polite!). So although I'm married I do understand the desire for people to have their own space.

Overall, I guess my experience was that there was a market out there, with some variety and flexibility, and it wasn't massively more expensive. I tended to look at it as a discount for doubles rather than a premium for singles.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
[b]@admin[/b yes my experience is that some TO`s are just a bit silly. Last Xmas, on the Sat after Xmas I wanted to book single rooms for the New Year week starting that day! Snow had been bad but more was falling, so for the right price we would stay on. We were already in the Alps with the car so did not need transport! I mean really .... if you have rooms free on the morning before the night the weeks holiday starts why would you not offer single occupancy?? Why would you still be quoting the surcharge?? Fortunately the smaller companies are more realistic and I got a good deal.

In my case, non of the family will ever share with my husband, me included, he just snores so loudly in the Alps these days that he needs to be isolated for everyone's sake!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tatman's Tours thats very generous of you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

he just snores so loudly in the Alps these days that he needs to be isolated for everyone's sake!

Watch out for avalanches after heavy snow! Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@CaravanSkier, don't give my family ideas.

What we've done in recent years is booked a room for my wife and daughter and another for my brother and me. and then when we get there the family shares one room and my brother gets his own room. We've done this with the agreement of the TO staff.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@henzerani, yep that kind of scenario has worked for us on occasions, but when your grown up children have their own partners with them ...... the situation becomes more complicated Laughing

Tatman's Tours. I shall indeed!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@queen bodecia, Bit late to the debate, but I, like you, have a preference for selfish space . . . but when it comes down to going away with friends it surely can't be feasible that there is no one that you can't be compatible with for a week or two? Is there no one with whom there with mutual respect, you can share a room with? I've shared with both male and female companions (sometimes in the same bed) where this is just a small and inconsequential (thank BOG for spillchuck) part of being in a close society.
Yes, if I'm traveling solo I will always look for my own space . . . but if I have no friends that I can trust or find space to share with . . . I will have to examine mine own reasoning for that.

Sharing our private space is defined by just two criteria . . . Love & Trust . . . sometimes both are 'one' but even when is broken you can still rebuild the other and stay platonic.

Bit rambling, bit pished, bit angry that @queen bodecia seems to project an 'all' men are predatory Typhoid Malcolms . . . bit sad that there is a dearth of single space available in many resorts and sadder that it's seen as a cash cow for others.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Did I write that? . . . Oh Bog I'm puddled . . . but I think my heart is there
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Masque, the original debate was years ago!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque wrote:
have a preference for selfish space . . .

Yeah. So I can do what I like, when I like. Which I'm prepared to pay for by having a single room. But I now realise this is sheer selfishness on my part.

Now I've a bit of a tendency to wake a bit early, maybe around 0400, and I generally get some work done because, of course, in our lovely "always available" work culture a fixed line between work and holiday no longer exists.

I'll make a cup of tea. Probably use the bathroom. I'll try to be quiet but I have been known to mutter frustration at some more idiotic emails. Even use the kind of words Snowheads censors.

I trust you wouldn't be so selfish as to object to this part of my routine if we happen to be sharing a room.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dogwatch wrote:
Masque wrote:
have a preference for selfish space . . .

Yeah. So I can do what I like, when I like. Which I'm prepared to pay for by having a single room.

I thought this was the point. If you are prepared to pay for the room then this thread is not for you.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy