Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solos holidays - a personal experience

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ihave just returned from a ski holiday with a Solos. Kuwait Ian has asked me to write my experiences of this company and here they are.

Basically its is a singles holiday company and based in Harrow, UK. All ages are catered for and holidays are geared towards different standards of skiing. For example the Grindelwald trip was for intermediates/advanced.

They generally use hotels of 3/4 * category. No chalets holidays, so comparisons with other chalet-based companies not possible.

They require a minimum number to go ahead with a holiday - roughly 8 - or it is pulled. Our group was quite large at 18.

Ski resorts tend not to be the bigger ones because of the difficulty of finding single rooms.

I have been on four of their ski holidays and can confirm that they have been predominately good although standards do vary and based on the 80/20 pareto principle things are OK most of the time. The main benefit is a ready made group to ski with during the week. Usually works well as everyone has skiing in common ( unlike summer holidays which the company also does ) and conversation flows freely. One disadvantage is that some people over estimate their ability so incorrectly book themselves on the wrong holiday ( where did we hear that before!! ). Last week it was not too bad - there was just one such person, who basically could'nt ski and gave up after the first day, thankfully. Although our group was 18 it broke into about three standards of skiers - fast, and those wanting to go easier to varing degrees. So everyone ( apart from one person ) got to ski with a few others. The first day sorted them out!. Solos, unlike Club Med (CM) does not provide a guide so we had to do our own thing which was fine by me but others would have struggled without assistance from the Solo's rep who was very helpful to those requiring it. I tried, insofar as possible to link up with the SC rep in the resort but last week we just could'nt link up for various reasons.

Solos holidays are expensive because of the in-built single supplement. Probably better value for money are Club Med which are all-in price inclusive of wine/bear with meals, plus guide, a uniform standard of accommodation/food ( a french company of course ). I can thoroughly recommend CM in my three experiences of staying at their hotels ( Wengen, Val D'Isere and St Moritz ) but Solos can be a bit hit and miss. When it goes right ( eg Madonna di Campiglio ) it is brilliant but their resorts are not the main ones, their prices are higher for a similar product with CM ( a good comparison vis-a-vis Tesco v Sainsburys ). Solos is British-oriented whilst CM is cosmopolitan ( every nationality ). Each has it strengths and weaknesses. Solos is probably more friendlier as you get to know your fellow group members - I have just this morning got an email from one of our group who is organsing a BBQ for June. In the future I have no problem with using either.

Specifically on the Hotel Eiger, Grindelwald - a good standard of accommodation but badly situated on the high street with a lot of noise coming from a disco across the road on the first night mainly. Do not take the front of hotel rooms!. Food was adequate, nothing special. Would argue that its not really a four star hotel, probably a good three. Walking distance to both lift stations - about 5 minutes.

Any specific questions please ask snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just out of interest what was the age range/average age of the clientele?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hibernia, thanks very much for the report. Just stick in one ] bracket after 76 in the sig and all should be well. snowHead
Last time I looked at a Solos brochure most of the hols were either very early or very late season - again because of the difficulties of booking single rooms without prohibitive extra costs at busier times of the season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Knee Deep - basically from 25 to 55 - click on my photo gallery to view group.

The brochure categorises age group for holidays as follows : 25-45; 28-55; 45+ and all group combined. The ski holidays tend to be for all groups combined.

www.solosholidays.co.uk
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kuwait_ian wrote:
hibernia, Last time I looked at a Solos brochure most of the hols were either very early or very late season - again because of the difficulties of booking single rooms without prohibitive extra costs at busier times of the season.

Yes I think that is the problem that they continously encounter. I was in Morzine last year with them ( end of Jan 2004 - a decent sized resort linked withe the Porte de Soleihl ( spel? ) but the resort has now been pulled from the brochure this year presumably because of the problem of the single room procurement.

A perennial good one is of course the Hotel Lorenzetti ( keep it a secret ) in Madonna di Campiglio which features every year. It gets rave reviews brecause of the food qulaity ( 6 star + ). I always want to go back there ( been there in 1998 ) but they go in January each year, a closed month work-wise for me beacuse my clients' will not cooperate and submit their tax returns by the end of January so I have to work right to the end of the month.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy