Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach/ Hinterglemm

Poster: A snowHead
Any tips on this resort please ? I'll be there from 26th March for a week.

Snow reports looked great last week, when I booked - though the current temperatures will not help. I have always wanted to visit the place.

I have read up on it in 'Where to Ski' and 'Good Ski Guide'

Any Snowheads information or advice gratefully received.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do a search. Loads of information. One of the nicesest Austrian resorts around. Good size, good runs and fasntastic night life scene, especially at Hinterglemm end. I think the size does make it stand out as the two sides of the valley are decently linked. Don't forget you got Leogang to cover too.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Latchigo, I was there for Christmas and will be going back this year. We stayed in Hinterglemm, in the Hotel Dorfschmeide, and had a brilliant time. The skiing is excellent, although not all the runs were open then, but we still covered miles and miles of runs. Everything is very well linked and convenient, mountain restaurants excellent, service so friendly, and the whole area is very pretty and most of the skiing is within the tree line.

Apres ski is stomping, the bar outside the Dorfschmeide in particular, in fact so good that after dinner we didn't really go out again. Actually that should read: couldn't really go out again!

Have fun, it's a great ski area.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Had 3rd hand word from a friend of a friend that they couldn't ski for 4 days week before last because of the snow fall during the day, plus the road up to Sallbach was closed due to avalanche. However, also heard that it was very warm there last week, so who knows? Hope they got plenty the week before, my friend's out there this week. Very Happy

Wish I was Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Latchigo, this is probably one of the best resorts in Austria, ranked in Top 5 every year. It is true that avalanche killed a father last week.
He made an awfully stupid decision to ski with his kids and an instructor off piste when avalanche warning was high. They were buried by the avalanche, but the kids and the instructor survived. But it is absolutely safe to ski on the marked pistes.

Saalbach-Hinterglemm is usually not the surest choice at the end of March in terms of snow quality. Usually the temperature in the morning is around the freezing point and by the afternoon it gets too warm. You find the pistes in perfect condition in the opening hours, but in the afternoon snow gets wet. In the past days the snow shrunk by 50 cm.

But it is surely fun to ski as much as you can in the morning and enjoy the sunshine and the Hütte life in the afternoon.
And if you do not mind wet snow piling up everywhere in the afternoon, then you will have a great time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Latchigo, probably my favourite resort so far! Ski on the south side of the valley in the morning and the north in the afternoon to enure the best snow conditions. The Hinterglemm end is better for more experienced intermediates but there are some long warm-up blues in and around Saalbach. All lifts and links are excellent and it is easy to ski up and down the valley. There are ski buses if you don't have time to ski back to wherever you are staying.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds good. We are going there for Christmas 2005, instead of our usual date with Kitzbuhel.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another voice declaring the virtues of Saalbach/Hinterglemm here. It's a superb resort. It's only just over an hour from Salzburg. There's 200 kms of piste, brilliant for the stronger intermediate and the atmosphere is better than anywhere else I have been.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Bish, I'm sure you won't regret it! We're going to Bad Gastein on 31st Dec and they usually share transfers with those to Saalbach so if you were going on the same date or maybe the same flight, I might see you at some point.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sadly, hayley t, I suspect we'll pass in transit. We are flying on the 24th and come back on the 31st. It was partly your recommendation that made us go for S-H this year. Well, we'd skied all there was to ski at Kitzbuhel, but made a lot of friends there and may well go back in the summer.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

partly your recommendation that made us go for S-H this year

Chris: Then I definitely hope you like it! Where are you staying?

PS: Sorry to hijack this thread - I'll keep it brief.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chalet Julienne. It's by some famous apres ski place apparently. It was recommended to us by Hayley the Neilsen's manager in Kitz as she had worked there previously. Do you know it? Hmm, we do seem to have hi-jacked an info thread. Any tips for the resort??? snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have a good look here. Hayley and I had an exchange of info. last year.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=6585&highlight=saalbach#6585
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Bish, if two Hayley's recommended it then it must be good!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quite! Smile Smile Smile snowHead
snow report
Chris Bish, Your hotel is in a good location. To get this thread back on topic - the Bauer's Ski Alm is probably the second stop on the apres ski route next to the Kolmais lift. Basically, everyone starts at the Hinterhagelm Bar at the top of the nursery slopes, where ski boot stomping and cheesy music is mandatory. THen you ski the short run down to the Ski Alm and then you stagger across the road to your hotel Chris!

Note: please be careful skiing the last part down the Ski Alm.
snow conditions
Thanks, so looking at the piste map, That's the first lift in the village on the right? Looks as if the challenge is to get right up the valley and back down the other side, but hey, we've got all summer to talk about this and I'm off to Val d'Isere in the rain on Saturday! snowHead
snow report
Chris Bish,

I personally find going Saalbach Hinterglemm in a complete loop round the two sides of the valley particularly interesting and rather unique among resorts. Going anti-clockwise can avoid the difficult black at the Hiterglemm end. The two ends of the valley is so far apart that one cannot estimate even the position of the opposite points. The nice thing about the complete loop is one can always cut short to hop to the opposite side of the valley if time is running out.
latest report
Chris Bish, The Hinterhaglam is at the top of the Turmlift - T bar and the Bauer ski alm at the bottom. I think that the Kohlmais gondola is just to the right of these as you are facing up the mountain. Both are marked on the interactive piste map (both bars and lifts that is).
snow report
I'm looking forward to it already. I just know that from the end of November I'll be watching every snowflake heading that way and fretting about it with Skanky!

The rain in Val d'Isere looks a little colder today. snowHead
snow conditions
Chris Bish,
Quote:

from the end of November I'll be watching every snowflake

Me too!
ski holidays
In 2003, I was doing the same. There wasn't a flake of snow until Decmber 14th, but it then chucked it down for a week solid. By the time we got there on 21st January, they had superb conditions. Conditions over Christmas were still good despite the late arrival of the white stuff.

The message is that there will be snow - do not panic.
snow report
Peter B, hayley t, It's great to chat to fellow enthusiasts/nutters (delete where not appropriate). I feel pretty confident about Austria at Christmas. It's mostly Russian snowflakes I'm tracking you see. Good enough for Napoleon. .. Madeye-Smiley Mad laugh.
ski holidays
Following this thread is very interesting, we have also earmarked these 2 resorts for 2006, having read the Which ski guide. We loved Austria the first 2 times we ever skied, but have been to Italy the last 3 years in search of more snow sure resorts, and wouldn't you just know it, this year Austria had tons of the stuff and Cervinia in Italy, high though it is, got very little after its initial dumping in December, and it was bitterly cold. So we are going back to Austria because the standard of food and hotels seems so much better there, and we miss the 'dancing on the bars in your boots" Aprè Ski. Can anyone tell me though, what these resorts are like for a timid intermediate who likes long, wide, crusey blues and reds? Am I looking for them in the wrong resort?
ski holidays
sharon1953, long wide cruisy blues and reds: Saalbach does those, as does the Ski Welt (Hopfgarten, Brixen, Soll, Itter plus a few others). Kitzbuehel is good for all levels. The Sportwelt Amade is also good for what you are looking for. Come to think of it most places have a reasonable share of wide blues and reds. The only notable exception being St.Anton, which I would advise beginners to avoid. Unless of course the main emphasis is on dancing on the tables in ski boots, in which case go to St.Anton!
snow conditions
Mike Lawrie, thanks. I have been checking out Schladming, and Solden too which also seem ok. I guess what we need to do is watch the snow next year and go for a last booking! As we at that time of life when quality hotel rooms, good food, chocolate box scenery, and something to do other than just ski, is nearly as important to us as the skiing itself, we think Austria fits the bill.
ski holidays
RachelQ wrote:
Latchigo,
Apres ski is stomping, the bar outside the Dorfschmeide in particular, in fact so good that after dinner we didn't really go out again. Actually that should read: couldn't really go out again!

Yes that 'Gute Stubl' bar seemed to packed after skiing finished. Later in the night it moved on to the Ausenaur or whatever it was called - the place that had all the reserved parking along the side of the road.

What a difference two weeks makes. When I booked there was lots of snow in great condition. Last week there was still enough snow to ski down to the village but it was very heavy. No frozen corduroy in the mornings until the last day though. There did not seem to be much piste machinery in operation. Maybe because it was towards the tail end of the season - I don't know. B2s did very well in that soft ungroomed snow.

I did like the area. There was plenty to ski. It was reasonably challenging. It's not expert terrain - but there are no terrors. On the first day I did not put my watch forward,so I forgot I was two hours behind time. On a glorious sunny day, I ended up on the Leogang side when the lifts were closing. I got back to Saalbach, but I had missed the ski bus. So I ended up on the post bus back to Hinterglemm.

Mountain restaurants were great and reasonably-priced. I pigged out on spaghetti bolognese for less than I would pay in London. Germknodel with vanilla sauce was also memorable. Bars were plentiful and beer affordable and it is a relatively short distance from Salzburg. I would definitely go back.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy