Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Keeping my goggles on my ski helmet

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Has anyone got any ideas on how I can keep my Smith I/O goggles safely stuck to my R.E.D. helmet.

Unfortunately the R.E.D. helmet's goggle clip is on the back, in exactly the same place where the goggles' strap clip is (Smith goggles have a quick release clip as part of the strap).
So I can't clip the goggles into the helmet and the goggles' strap does not have any silicone or rubberised coating on it and the R.E.D. helmet doesn't have anything grippy on it either.

I wondered if there was a rubberised spray I could buy or something to put on the inside of the strap of the goggles? Or any other idea would be greatly appreciated?

Many thanks for any help,
Matt
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lilolad, I use smith goggles. Once they are on my lid they stay there for a week. So the soft goggle clip on my Giro fuse goes over the top of the buckle. If your RED helmet actually has a single hard plastic clip which the strap is meant to slide into, then you may be screwed. I had a dainesse helmet with a similar arrangement - but with a plastic clip at each side. What has worked quite well on our kids helmets when clips have broken off, is a strip of gaffer/duct tape at the back of the helmet over the strap.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The smith goggle straps adjust from both sides. So what you do is adjust them so one is long & one short. That way they don't interfere with the helmet strap clip. Simples!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
frank4short, wish I had a head small enough to do that with a lid...

another option might be to fit a different companies strap on the goggles...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you wear your helmet all the time the duck tapes works well.............I use it when doing GS as my helmet clip is broken and never have any problems with the goggles slipping! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You could try supergluing a rubber strip at the back of the helmet that the strap rests on. It worked for mine when the strap kept coming out of the clip.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
frank4short wrote:
The smith goggle straps adjust from both sides. So what you do is adjust them so one is long & one short. That way they don't interfere with the helmet strap clip. Simples!

They do, but when using them with a helmet the strap is at full extension, so not Simples!
The goggle buckle sits exactly under the retainer on the helmet, not good.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tillywhim, I wouldn't be putting superglue anywhere near a helmet.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lilolad, stoatsbrother, also use Smith with giro. My phenoms came with a different colour strap, the strap clips off next to the visor. Have you checked yours does the same and, if so, can it then be threaded through the helmet clip?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
i also use smith goggles and i do what frank4short, does so my strap can be clipped to my helmet...

okbye
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got a red helmet with one of the clips that sticks up and attaches between the shell and foam. Unfortunately this is probably the crappest design in the world hence my delight when I got off a cabin with my helmet clipped to my rucksack to discover the clip and my goggles gone! With my new goggles I dont use a clip as I couldn't get a replacement, I have the strap tight and high enough so it won't drop off and not so high it will pop off the top, no probs. If I take the lid off I pull the goggles round my neck.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You caould get some liquid latex and put it around the inside of the goggle strap?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
frank4short wrote:

^this.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
You caould get some liquid latex and put it around the inside of the goggle strap?

This can also be done by giving the strap a very good stretch, over some board of something that will keep it stretched. Rub a small amount of silicon in to the strap - just household bathroom / kitchen sealant will do. Let it dry, when you take the strap off it will have a nice grippy surface to it...

(Never had to do it as I use real goggles & real helmets Wink This is a joke I'm after some I/Os)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lilolad, are either the goggles or helmet new and did you buy them in the UK? If so, take one or the other back and exchange for compatible equipment before you wreck either the goggles or the helmet trying to make them compatible.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 11-03-10 18:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
How about unclicking the strap and putting some rubber elastic bands over it in several places? This might just be one of my half baked ideas, but its just lanced into my mind and might be worth a try. Its a nice easy solution and might be less messy than messing around with latex glue or silicone bath sealant
ski holidays
lol

"so how did you lose your goggles off a chair lift"

"well, I was having trouble with the helmet clip so I unhooked the strap and used rubber bands to keep it in place"

"....."

Use goggles much do you Megamum ?
ski holidays
Dr John, I don't think Megamum was suggesting doing the operation on the chair. She was suggesting equipping the strap in advance of use with rubber bands oriented North-South around the East-West oriented goggle strap to give extra grip.

I won't be doing it, because my goggles fit my helmet perfectly, but it might work. You might not want to go out in public like that, but there is a trade-off between that and taking your existing stuff with you when you are buying new.

David
ski holidays
DJ, I didn't think for a second she was suggesting that, but the idea of going up on a mountain with essential equipment secured by elastic bands is ever so slightly absurd.
snow report
Dr John wrote:
DJ, ... the idea of going up on a mountain with essential equipment secured by elastic bands is ever so slightly absurd.

Agreed. Perhaps there is a market for stick-on goggle clips, which you could mount on the sides or the back. You could mould them for about £0.005, double that for the adhesive pad, add 12p for packaging and sell for £2.50 a pair. I know somebody who could do this, but the tooling would cost £50k, so we would have to sell a lot of them.

David
latest report
Dr John, what's your problem? Chill man - and get yourself a drink Toofy Grin Re-read the post. the goggles have a clip at the back. If you were to unclick it you could slide rubber bands over the goggle strap which might provide resistance to the goggle strap slipping over the helmet, the idea is then that you re-click the goggle strap and slide them over the helmet in the usual fashion. To suggest anything else is ludicrous.

I was suggesting exactly as DJ, suggests. The OP wanted a mechanism which would help in preventing the elastic strap from sliding off the helmet. Other replies have suggested that silicone plastered on the inside of the helmet strap or onto the helmet would work. If the helmet strap had some elastic bands wrapped round it in the way DJ, finally explains for me, then to my mind, if they were the right sort of elastic band then they might help to grip the helmet to the strap in the same way that silicone would. You could even get some bands colour coded to the goggle strap to make them less obtrusive.

Another option might be velcro - sticky sided velcro on the helmet and sticky sided or possibly better stitch on opposite velcro on the goggle strap. Though it might be possible to get sticky sided to adhere to the plastic mid clip on the goggles.

Of course all options might depend on the finish of the helmet - some of which have a shiny finish and others have a matt finish which might affect what will stick to it.

Another alternative might be some nifty needle work at the point where the helmet shell joins the fabric at the front sides of the helment. A loop could be stitched onto each side of the helmet that through which the goggle straps could be passed. I'm thinking perhaps a flat profile sewing elastic about <1/4" wide. White or black to match the goggle strap (other colours might be available), the slight stretch should enable it to pass over each end of the plastic clip of the goggle fastening. I am a veteran of slight adjustments to helmets - OK it invalidates the guarantee, but providing you don't do anything that would compromise the helmets strength and how it functions I never see a problem.

You can also buy various non-slip pads for putting under breakables on the sideboard for example - strips of these might also sew onto the goggle straps.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 11-03-10 22:14; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Megamum, velcro is a cracking idea.

You can get self-adhesive velcro patches - and with a little super glue to really bond the hook (stiff) pad on the helmet and then sew the softer bit onto the goggle strap I think you would be sorted - one patch each on the rear left and right hand side.
latest report
stoatsbrother wrote:
Megamum, velcro is a cracking idea.

You can get self-adhesive velcro patches - and with a little super glue to really bond the hook (stiff) pad on the helmet and then sew the softer bit onto the goggle strap I think you would be sorted - one patch each on the rear left and right hand side.

Just be careful about the superglue affecting the helmet's shell...
ski holidays
Thank you very much everyone for those ideas. I hadn't thought of any of those.

I've had my goggs and helmet for over a year and used them for two weeks so far. I've managed and haven't lost the goggs yet but they do slip from time to time as the helmet is very slippy.

But the velcro, latex and silicone are great ideas, thank you very much for everyone's help!

We're off to Arabba a week on Saturday, so I should be able to sort them out for that.

Thanks everyone!
Matt
ski holidays
parlor wrote:

(Never had to do it as I use real goggles & real helmets Wink This is a joke I'm after some I/Os)

Actually, my Smith I/Os from the latest season do have some silicone on it.
ski holidays
alexchapman wrote:
If you wear your helmet all the time the duck tapes works well.............I use it when doing GS as my helmet clip is broken and never have any problems with the goggles slipping! Very Happy

Doesn't it sting when you peal it off your face?
snow report
ringingmaster wrote:
alexchapman wrote:
If you wear your helmet all the time the duck tapes works well.............I use it when doing GS as my helmet clip is broken and never have any problems with the goggles slipping! :D

Doesn't it sting when you peal it off your face?

Maybe he's too deaf with the ringing echoes to notice?
snow report
Removed confusing post

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 12-03-10 20:05; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ringingmaster, your forum name maybe?
snow conditions
Quote:

the idea of going up on a mountain with essential equipment secured by elastic bands is ever so slightly absurd.

oh dear. There's always someone determined to get the wrong end of the stick, isn't there. rolling eyes
ski holidays
pam w, it's all too complicated for me I'm afraid
snow report
To be really gnarly; remove the rivet that the pop stud sits on and replace with an "eye" bolt. Tie a bit of 3mm cord round the goggle strap and attach to bolt with a small carabiner.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, I like that. I was going to suggest a staple gun, but a bolt and a caribiner sounds much more the ticket.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy