Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Bumbling Around Bavaria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been working out in Munich the last few weeks so I've had the chance to explore some of the smaller Bavarian ski areas. Its been holiday season out here too but not that you could tell.

Day1: Oberammergau Laber Bergbahn
This place reminded me of La Grave. The lift was a pulse style system like la grave, its steep, your skis will take a beating and there are plenty of high speed luge style tracks through the trees. 40cm of fresh had fallen in the last 7 days but there can't of been much before hand. The single marked route had bumped up nicely but there was some still some nice skiing to be had for the more adventurous.

The old cable car rises up from the outskirts of oberammergau

Arriving at the top gives you a view over to Garmisch and Zugspitze

Thick tree cover is broken by steep gullies.

Off the backside towards Ettaler Mandl is a nice mellow shaded bowl which held the powder nicely. The payback was copious traversing.

Some nice powder to be had in the trees if a little on the thin side.

Usually if it was untracked it was at the expense of copious bushwacking/ski destroying rocky gullies

Day 2: Mittenwald Karwendelbahn
One cable car again here rising 1311m from the base through some impressive scenery. There is only one sane route down which is both patrolled and avalanche controlled. Any other route down looked fairly insane and best left for Anselme Baud! Looking off the south side did look a little more feasible but this dropped you into a fairly remote valley into Austria.

Mittenwald 1311m below

An errie 400m long tunnel leads from the top station to the start of the skiing.

Don't forget the passport! Emerging at the end into daylight to the view into Austria.

The skiing was mostly a bump field with some chop and avalanche debris thrown in. Certainly got the legs going.

Skiing down through impressive terrain. The rock climbing must be fantastic here in summer!

Day 3: WendelsteinThis place was definitely my pick of the bunch. There is a cog railway on the North side, Cable car on the South and a couple of T-Bars giving around 930m of vertical. The combination gives access to an amazing amount of terrain covering most aspects. Unusually for Bavaria the tree cover lets up and is perfectly skiable in many places. Short hikes or skins give access to lots of interesting terrain. I timed it with 10cm of fresh on refrozen mank during the peak of the local holidays. There could not have been more than 50 people skiing. I'm amazed that this place is still in business!

Looking up from the base of the cable car

The cable car brings you up to just below the rocky summit of Wendelstein

A little fresh in the trees

Looking to Wendelstein from Sudelfeld. Everything you see in the photo is skiable from the lifts with a short hike/traverse

A 2min hike from the top T-bar opens up a bowl beneath Lacherspitz. From here you can ski all the way down to Sudelfeld or Bayrischzell.

Sudelfeld from the descent from Lacherspitz

Day 4: Sudelfeld
Sudelfeld is more typical of Bavarian skiing. Incredibly busy in comparison to Wendelstein the day before. Most of the hill is a giant piste with not much distinction between one and other. Off the back of the ski area it gets a little more interesting.

A 1 min hike from the top lift gives access to most of this bowl

The tourers around here are pretty efficient at tracking the place out!

Some super knarly lift accessed terrain drops you back down to Bayrischzell. You'd definitely need to know where you were going!

I really enjoyed these little places and I never imagined that they might exist in Germany. I've vowed to go back when I've more time and they have better snow.
On the hit list still is Tegelberg and Wallberg Tegernseer Tal. I'd be grateful if anyone has any beta on them!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quite a lot of that looks like Whistler Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rayscoops, that lot is in my backyard Ray! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Caught some better weather and snow than I did by the looks of things.

Excellent info and pics.

Plenty to return for Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
looks like sweet terrain with abit more snow...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
scottishskier, nice one. I'd be jealous but...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great report and I must admit that I have only skied Sudelfeld, despite staying around this area for over thirty years Embarassed I guess it is the best known of the resorts. I have once skied the Wallberg (a small area, though you may find more off piste). From Munich Lengries, Spitzingsee and Achenkirch/Christlum are also worth a day, though seen as normal pisted resorts. Not to forget Aschau/Kampenwand and the Hochfelln or Ruhpolding, which I enjoyed when I lived in Chiemgau.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy