Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Differing Bootfitters opinions - who should I trust?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
especially if it's a US chairlift without safety bars

Shocked Better substitute rucksack for parachute with release tied to chair I reckon Laughing
I'd be more proud of someone though trying this skiing on one leg on a T-Bar while tugging on ski tip for boot fit. Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rockyrobin wrote:
I'd be more proud of someone though trying this skiing on one leg on a T-Bar while tugging on ski tip for boot fit. Shocked

I don't think even the sight of me doing that (at Snowbasin after ESA?) is sufficient to get D G Orf away from that place. Keep trying, though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
I don't think even the sight of me doing that (at Snowbasin after ESA?) is sufficient to get D G Orf away from that place. Keep trying, though.

Perhaps it is time for the obsessives here to have a whip round to see if they can raise enough to pay for a young beautiful ski companion in another resort to be his snowbuddy for a week may be needed?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Buy in resort! They can work on each problem step by step. Often when taking a problem away another arrives to replace it. This is because we focus on the greatest pain. This can however eat in to ski time on holiday, however they are an investment and given that the averge amount of skiing done per year is two weeks they should last a good 5-6 years, so nip it in the bud! NehNeh
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead but you don't own a ski shop in chamonix by any chance do you? Little Angel
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi SMALLZOOKEEPER, Thanks for the advice Smile
Surely boots will last longer than 12 weeks? I'm planning on getting in ~150 days this year. Would this mean my boots will be worn out by the end of the season as well as me? Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rockyrobin, well, the liner will be shot by then.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Full time instructors I've had have told me that they go through a pair of boots a season.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, that's doing rather well. I would have thought 30-60 days for the liners.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat, Liner dieing's not so bad. I guess the smell of them by then would be so bad that I wouldn't want them to carry on much more anyway.

spyderjon, I'm surprised they ditch the shells also. Is this because they have trouble getting replacement liners? I'm just wondering if the plastic will perish on the shells with continuos use?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rockyrobin, You have seen my liners. They have more than 200 days on them and are taken out after every use.

The shells are the same age, as long as you use cat tracks or similar to avoid wearing down the soles they can last a long time.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs, Your boots, and in particular your liners looked in really good nick. One thing I did notice about your liners was that they had very little spongey padding compared to some boots I have had in the past. I noticed my Rossi Elite Pro's liners felt like this also, so fingers crossed I won't be adding to my collection if your experience bears out for me too.
I have seen in the past people wearing a kind of rubber slip on crampon for ski boots for walking on hard ground. I'm guessing these are to save sole wear as you mention.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rockyrobin wrote:
, I'm surprised they ditch the shells also. Is this because they have trouble getting replacement liners? I'm just wondering if the plastic will perish on the shells with continuos use?

It think that it could be more likely that many pro's get free or cheap boots.

I suppose for wear purposes we could say that every 4/5 two hour sessions we do at Xscape is equivalent to one 'normal' days use. Whether the comparitively 'warm' Xscape temperature of -1C to -2C makes a difference I don't know.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah, the spoils of sponsorship.

One thing I have noticed is how plastic containers get brittle over time being placed in and out of the freezer all year. I'm thinking that sooner or later perhaps the plastic on boots will change and perform differently too.
Hehe, you make me feel like a wuss. If its only -1C in XScape i've got problems as I always feel cold in there Skullie
ski holidays
rockyrobin wrote:
If its only -1C in XScape i've got problems as I always feel cold in there Skullie

As you enter the Xscape complex there's a freestanding display board sign in the middle of the thoroughfare, between the till counters. There's a diagram of the slope showing the length & gradients etc. It also states that the temperature is -1C to -2C.
snow conditions
rockyrobin, I do feel the cold, and tend to wear lots of clothing to go skiing. Two places that never seem cold to me are Xscape MK and Tamworth Snowdome. I have never worn a jacket to ski either. The humidity in the air, (and lack of Alpine sunshine) may make it seem colder wink
ski holidays
spyderjon, I always wondered what that signboard was for. I've always been in too much of a hurry to get sliding to take notice of it. snowHead
When I have my lesson on Tuesday i'll ask what they're currently running at. I'm finding it hard to believe its -1C, though i'm sure your right.

snowbunny, When I went mountain biking last weekend I did notice when I was flagging and feeling like a rest, a large dose of sugary food and probably lots of "E" numbers in there too made me feel like Popeye with his tin of spinach Laughing My biking partner found it quite ammusing the change in my pedalling performance.
I'm going to try this next time I slide and see if this helps me keep warm, may help you too Smile
Thinking about humidity at Castleford - My lips and skin get really dry when going in there so would think its just the lack of sunshine like you say. I guess I could always try to kid myself and wear shades Cool
latest report
rockyrobin, I agree that blood sugar levels are really important to energy. If it's your hands and feet that are mostly feeling the cold you may find that taking odour free garlic capsules help with the blood circulation. Cheap enought to give it a try, if it works you will really feel a difference. Think I will pass, on the E filled sugary drink this time round wink
ski holidays
snowbunny, I'm afraid I end up feeling cold to the core. I'm currently trying a high carb diet as I desperately need to put on weight to give me some fat reserves which I currently lack.
Sounds like garlic dilates the blood vessels. Is this the same as taking alcohol but more subtle?
Hehe, garlic caps, sugary food/drinks with lots of E numbers. Hope that combo won't have me misbehaving Laughing
I don't think being like a hypo kiddie would suit me Embarassed
ski holidays
rockyrobin, Well the E numbers certainly have a reputation for making folks twitchy. Yes, I do believe that Garlic has the effect of improving peripheral circulation around 5 hours after consumption wink Moderation in everything is my motto Little Angel
snow report
snowbunny, Cheers. I've just found some garlic pearls so will give them a try tomorrow for lunch so should be good for my evening sliding.
No need for moderation in everything though. I can think of many things you cannot get enough of, especially sliding on snow. No need for moderation there snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy