Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowblades with proper ski bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Just come back from a fantastic week in Meribel.

I tend to do alot of blading, but find it a pain taking them off and putting them on repeatedly given the style of binding. Whilst on a chair lift, I spotted someone with blades that had proper ski bindings which would resolve this repeated hassle.

Do any of you where I could get these from? Puzzled

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mab, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As far as I know, these are the only ones which have release bindings as standard...
http://www.head.com/ski/179_646_ENG_HTML.php
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow, thanks for the fast reply and thanks for the welcome!!

You say 'as standard'.

I would not be adverse to paying a bit more to get the best blades out there and getting release bindings fitted. You'll have to forgive me as I'm not too knowledgeable with respect to ski equipment, but I have Salomon Minirace blades (99.9cm) and assume that you could not fit release bindings to them due to the design, ie. it is not flat enough for long enough due to the bits that determine the flex of the blade (lack of knowledge really showing itself there Embarassed ).

So how would I go about customising some blades with release bindings, and which are the best blades out there?

Or are the Head blades pretty decent?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mab, the problem is that modern bindings will not in general work with blades as there is not enough leverage to cause them to open, head worked with Tyrolia to produce a custom binding that does work but that binding is only available for head skis not sold separately, by the way welcome to snowheads snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mab, Head make very good skis. I've not tried their skiboards, but have used Salomon snoblades and have a pair of Fischer Spyders.
There was talk, but I'm not sure what came of it, of adapters being designed so that you could fit standard ski bindings to, BUT if you're wanting bindings to release on skiboards, you need to set them very low (about half your normal ski setting) for them to be of any use.

When you say you want the best, what are you looking for? Do you want speed, or park ability, or what?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ahh, I thought it was the length of the bindings that was the issue.

Fair point, 'the best' is a not a particularly useful comment. Speed would definitely be top of the list of what I was looking for.

How do you find the bindings on the Fischer Spyders? It is more the wrapping and unwrapping of the 'safety cord' around the boots that is a pain on the Salomons, but you can't cut this off as you need it to pull the cord to allow you to fit your boots in the rear part of the bindings (and if they were to come off, there would be nothing to stop the blade).

What is speed like compared with the Salomons that you have tried?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Fischers are the fastest skiboards. Their assymetric design makes them very quick. (the model I have isn't available any more)
The bindings are the same as the Salomon ones, and I find the leashes useful for getting on and off them. It means you don't have to find a flat bit of snow to get them on, as they won't run away on you.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK, I lied...

http://www.skibartlett.com/product_details.asp?intID=81
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
WTFH, Spruce Mountain and Line Reactor?

Those spyders remind you of the Fischer Revolutions at all, or does the lack of a plate spring entirely change the character?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mab,

I used the Head Big Easy in Italy in January and enjoyed them but missed some of the "ski" experience so when I was in Canada last month I used the Atomic Freezone which at 120cms are slightly longer than the Heads (they also have a full release binding).

They were fantastic and advanced my skiing by at least a couple of levels and being that bit longer gave some of the ski experience but with the manouverability of blades.

They are probably not as good in the park but as a fun way of getting down a mountain they were great.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just had a quick read up of the Atomics and they look as though they are exactlty what I am after... definitely going to get some.

Many thanks!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My daughters both have Fisher Blades 99.9 fitted with proper bindings which are fully adjustable for us to use if the urge takes us.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 15-03-05 9:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stephen Sadler wrote:

Atomic Freezone which at 120cms are slightly longer than the Heads (they also have a full release binding).

A similar design, the Elan NRT was marketed to ski school programs.

They now have an Indoor ski line such as the A Pro Fusion. This is a bit different (longer for one) but it also has it's own flex design not based on an Integra core.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mab, my brother has some of the head big easys (which have ski style bindings) and i think he wants to sell if your interested
snow conditions
mab,
As mistermouse says, I have a pair of blades with step-in bindings but they are actually Head Liners. They go really well and are great fun but are no longer what I want to be doing. I have used them about 8 times in total and they probably need a service. They cost £170 new - I would accept £100 for them.
ski holidays
mistermouse/Casper - thanks for the offers, but I am very tempted by the 120cm blades with release bindings so am going to go with those I think. Cheers.
snow report
have you looked at skiboards.com and skiboardsonline.com? Both have forum and a load of information on everything skiboard as well as being able to supply you with just about anything. I bought a pair of Big Easy's in Jan and they are a great laugh but to be honest I came to the conclusion that on a short board the release is a bit overkill plus it makes the board a bit on the heavy side. That said, the word from those in the know is that not all non releases are good, the salomons get slated. They are apparently of flimsy design and nowhere near as good as the alternatives. At the moment there is a bit of an eye in the storm from what I gather, there were alot of companies coming and soon to be coming with boards (read mix, loken etc) but there have been delays, shortages and reliability issues...... as a result the boards which the guys who ride alot really want and would like say are technically the best, arent actually available yet. So if you can, you might be best to wait until next season.....

ad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy