Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

exchanging currency

Poster: A snowHead
Off to France next week need to change some cash to Euros. Last year I was surprised when I exchanged
£250 >euros at Hsbc and later same day £250 at Nat West that I received 30euros more for same money from NW.
Who offers the best deal on the High Street Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thomas Cooks give you a better deal than Banks, or they did a couple of years ago. Now I just go there by default Confused
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's best to avoid the high-street and use an ATM at your destination. This was you get the interbank rate instead of the tourist rate, which means you end up with about 5% extra Euros for your pound.

However be aware that your bank will still charge you commission on this - typically 2.75% - and probably a cashpoint withdrawal fee - typically £1-£2, so only withdraw it in chunks of over £100.

The *best* way is to use a Nationwide Debit Card in an ATM. They don't charge commission, only the cashpoint withdrawal fee. Nationwide and Liverpool Victoria credit cards also don't change commission, but the NW does charge interest instead - still works out cheaper than the high street.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Acyually the best way is to have an overseas bank account where they will exchange your money at a better rate for no fee ! wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah Hah Mr Orf, so you do have a Swiss Bank account! Not a word to the revenue from me of course wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf, even better if you work for that overseas bank and can make currency transactions with no spread and no fee. Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marc gledhill, the amount I may or may not have in an account I may or may not have in Switzerland might just about earn enough interest to cover the annual bank charges, not enough for the revenue to worry, about sadly Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
D G Orf, not in my experience they don't, I've Swiss, German, French, UK and off-shore accounts, the exchange rates are way better than changing money but it's generally cheaper below a 1000 quid or so to use an ATM to move money, then either spend it or make a cash deposit. Charges per transaction are typically lower on the continent than the UK so using debit cards is also cheap.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone can get a Swiss Bank Account its not difficult . You can open one up over the NET with the Swiss Post Office. Swiss banks offer accounts in CH Franc, Euros & $$.
My adivise for regular travellers to the mainland from the UK is to open a Euro account with your bank in Blighty , this will save any charges when getting money out of ATM's abroad.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ise, my annual bank charges if I were to have one might or might not be in the region of 6CHf, and were that to be the case interest might be something like 1%
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Post OFfice change currency for no commission, you have to order them a couple of days beforehand. Also I believe Marks and Spencer do it also for no commission, not 100% on this one, but worth checking out.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sallyanne, correct although M&S may also require you to order the currency in advance, they do usually have limited amounts in stock, however in both cases whilst you don't pay comission you may get a slightly worse rate of transfer than on offer at a bank
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
www.travelex.co.uk - order online, no commission and a better rate than the post office. Collect at the airport or, in my case, Dover docks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sallyanne, No, you don't have to pre-order euros in advance with the Post Office - you just turn up with £££ and they'll give you Continental currency on the spot. I found their rate better than I got from HSCB.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Debit card for me, even better than my 'no commission' rate as they get you with a poor rate.

With the advent of Euros I take out as much as I can afford and carry over to the next year as I am always going to spned it someitme.
Obviously that plan falls over if you visit Switzerland or the States so use debit cards there.

But if you carry sterling most resorts give a better rate than the UK anyway.
ski holidays
Get a Nationwide flex account, no charges to use your card in Europe.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy