Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

another ski recommendation please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hello. I appreciate that there are a lot of helpful recommendations in this forum. However none of them seem to quite fit my question. I would like to buy some skis but am getting very confused indeed by different types/categories/recommendations from manufactures etc. Puzzled Put as simply as possible - I am a 4 week skier, almost all on piste so far. last holiday (this Feb) started on the blues for the first day (just to get back into the swing of things) then probably 50/50 blue/red runs (one black). I like to get around the mountains. Still have the occasional dodgy moments if the conditions are tricky and/or very steep. Would describe myself as an intermediate. (S&N ability level 5 - 6) Problem is that on that info most manufactures seem to recommend (seemingly basic) beginners ski which are either not featured in reviews at all or not recommended in the press or in this forum. Also I don’t see myself as a beginner anymore. I want skis that can help me progress toward intermediate/advanced (not stay beginner/intermediate), help me carve - and I can use for a few years. Height is 165 cm weight 68Kg. Can anyone help with some good recommendations please? I am off again to VT in a week or so and definitely want to buy not hire. (By the way I do not want to spend a fortune either.) Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jay, I can't really suggest a specific ski for you, because I've not really tried any in the range that you're looking at. The one bit of advice that I would give you is that unless you are specifically looking at doing a lot of off piste, which would surprise me at your level and experience, then I would tend to go for a piste specific ski rather than one from the "freeride" or "all mountain" range of a manufacturer. This should mean that they are (generally) in a slightly lower price range. Your best bet in VT is to ask in the shop what they would recommend, and then ask to demo a few pairs of different makes. Any shop worth it's salt should knock the cost of the hire off the price of the skis.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jay, I'd go to VT and hire a selection of skis from a good hire shop and try out a number of skis until you find one that works well for you
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jay, a little while ago I posted this list (reduced to unisex models) for a lady of possibly similar size, ability and terrain preference:
Code:

Atomic C9 Puls             160       105 64 97
Dynastar Omecarve 9        158       115 65 104
Elan S8                        160       112 67 100
Fischer RX 6                 160       111 67 96
Head I.XRC800     156 or 163     117 66 101
K2 Apache X                160        109 68 99
Nordica Speedmachine 12   162    114 67 100
Volkl Energy 420         156/163          110 66 97
Volkl 4-Star           154/161                 112 67 97

I am NOT suggesting ANY of these for you specifically, but they might be a good starting point for your review reading. I agree completely with Kramer's post and will warn you further to reduce your in-resort demo list to 5 or fewer or you risk scrambling brains, impressions, and objectivity on evaluation.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks, I have read the write up on Atomic C9 and will put that down as possible. Any thoughts on the Salomon Streetracer 8? I will look into the others. From memory I think the XRC800 is expensive. From the Head range I was thinking more about the IC160 which is around the £350 mark in the UK. again does anyone have any thoughts/experience of this one?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe try Salomon XScreams? I know advanced skiers can find these a tad boring, but they are supposed to be very flattering, versatile skis. Probably good skis for the intermediate wanting to become a better skier.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The only thing I've noticed about the head range is that they seem to have a very good steel for their edges, this means they tend to handle very well on harder surfaces and firm pistes better than any other ski I've tried (thogh in some cases only just) and this seems to be the conclusion of all the tests I've read on them unfortunately I can't say anything about the IC160's
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ponder wrote:
Maybe try Salomon XScreams? I know advanced skiers can find these a tad boring, but they are supposed to be very flattering, versatile skis. Probably good skis for the intermediate wanting to become a better skier.

Isn't that a contradiction though? If you want to be better then don't you need a ski that challenges you somewhat? Obviously you could go too far though Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jay wrote:
I will look into the others. From memory

Jay, with all due respect, I'd stop worrying about specific models, rather write down as many as I could find that fit that general range of dimensions (up to~160cm length, tip~110mm/waist<70mm/tail~99mm) and then go try whatever the VT shop has of those or near those. A spreadsheet or other organisational tool may help.

Remember: for any given ski, someone must have thought it was a good idea or it wouldn't exist.

Do you plan to take instruction during your stay? How are you provided for boots?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jay, Welcome 2 snowHead

I'd make sure I try the Salomon 1080 or Scream Limited in VT. It is very forgiving and fun for all (though not perfect), even for advanced skiers, and would give you confidence and should therefore help you progress.

I'd also try the Head iC160. I've tried it and it's a Really Nice Piste ski. Designed to stiffen when pushed, or so the promos say - but worked on me. So when skiing inattentively or with inexact technique, it's forgiving, and when going for it, it pushes back. It's obviously not as stiff as a seaman recently arrived in port, but it's stiff enough to do the deed.

I haven't tried the Volkl Supersport 4Star but I have the Supersport Gamma (ladies version - don't ask - that's based on 4*). Another very nice ski. Not too soft, not too stiff, instantly comfortable, not too strict on your technique but not absolutely forgiving either.

Bottom line though - try b4 u buy - 4 all sorts of raisons wot soots me mite not soot u Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you want specifics look at Head 160 or the 800 probably the former is better suited. Red run Piste blasters but do try them beforehand.

And when you talk to the tech be straight with him. If you talk your skill set up or down you may not get the best ski suited to you..!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
K2 One Luv?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ise, it's a fine line Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy