Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski recommendation needed. Please!

Poster: A snowHead
Damn, didn't expect to have to post this so soon after the "hire vs buy" thread! The brake on one of my skis came off at the end of my last holiday. I was able to screw it back on but then it came off again. So last night I decided to try and fix it properly and discovered that the metal plate under the rear binding has sheared all the way across (where the brake screws in - hence the screw not holding).

So, the binding is b*ggered - I haven't decided whether to buy new bindings later, but I'm going to need to hire some skis on Saturday. I'm hoping for suggestions on what I should be looking to try (and maybe to buy).

I'm currently on 181 K2 Axis Mod X Pros from around 2001/2002 (I think). I like them but I'm assuming that I'm going to need to go shorter with my next ski - 170 - 175? I'd like a good all-round ski - I ski off-piste as much as I can but inevitably a fair proportion of my time is on-piste. I like bumps but accept that most all-rounders won't perform too well here. I like to go fast. I like to carve. I like trees. I like pretty much everything Smile

I weigh around 11.5 stone, am 5'10'' and have been skiing for around 18 years.

At the moment I have a shortlist of:
Rossignol B2
Fischer RX8
Atomic M:b5

Any thoughts on these or other skis - Salomons, Heads or Stockls maybe?
What length?

Thanks everyone!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alan empty, I used to be on that exact ski. My on-piste are Head iXRC1100SWs. If you enjoyed the Axis X Pro, then the Metron B5 would be a good choice. (based on skiing with SSH who has them)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alan you could also add:

Head iM75
K2 Apache Recon
Volkl 724 EXP

I'd also think you could try coming down even further in length than you suggest in any of those skis.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Head iXRC1100SWs - that really rolls off the tongue doesn't it?!!

Cool - added to the list. Any thoughts on what length?

WTFH, you're on Pistols the rest of the time?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alan empty, in the soft stuff, yes.

The problem with the iXRC1100 is there are 3 versions of it...

iXRC 1100 (no chip) - cap ski. nice
iXRC 1100 (chip) - cap ski, a bit more responsive. Very Nice
iXRC 1100 sandwich - sandwich ski, very responsive. Abso-f***ing-lutely amazing.

(If you wanted a pair of the Sandwich ones, Beans in Bicester had a pair left last week for £375, which is £125-175 less than EB/S&R)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah, the Recon or 724 EXP should go on the list too!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ooops, nearly forgot. See if you can find Dynastar Legends 6200 or 8000, or even their older 74 Intuitiv. You'' get a good deal on the 74's.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Marc - I'll add those as well (I had considered the K2s but I've rarely seen K2s in European hire shops). I'm thinking that the shop will probably only have a few of the ones I want anyway so a big list is good. Have you tried all of those? Any thoughts on their strengths/weaknesses?

Re: length. You may be right but I think that might be a jump too far for the moment! I've worked my way slowly down from 200 so I'm easing myself into shorter skis slowly. It's frustrating because I've got 3 days of tuition booked on days 2-4 of the holiday. So I've got one day to get up to speed on my hire skis.

WTFH, thanks but I don't think I'll get a chance to buy any this week. Definitely not in Bicester anyway! So Pistols would be a good second pair? I can dream Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alan, I "tried" (stretching the word a little - I was at a snowdome) the B2's, 724's and Salomon Pilot 10 something or other. I had wanted to try out the k2's but they'd vanished when I got there. I ended up buying the B2's.

The others simply formed part of my list of ski's I wanted to try. But I wouldn't buy again without having a go on them first, even a duffer like me can tell the difference between them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah, I tried the Intuitivs once - nice ski.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marc, did you ever ski the Bandit XXs? I used them for a few days once and thought it was a really good ski. I think the B2s are similar?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alan empty, the Pistols make a great second pair. When I was in Wengen, I was stopped one day by an English father, because his son (about 10) wanted his picture taken with me and my skis. I let the kid be in the picture alone holding them. I think it made his trip!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alan empty, I had the X's but never tried the XX. I understand that the B2's may be a little easier to ski than the XX's.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
try the 1080s 171cm
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gregh, these are twin tips yeah? I'm not interested in skiing half-pipes etc, but presumably they're good even if I'm not bothered about going backwards etc?

For some reason I think of them as being a little lightweight but I don't think that's actually based on anything I've read. What would you say their strengths are?
ski holidays
Some sizing info on popular skis .... (weight in lbs)

http://www.alpineskicenter.com/skisizes.htm
ski holidays
Thanks DB.
This is much more fun than working!
snow report
I think that the Bandit XXs and B2s are virtually identical.
ski holidays
Yes the 1080 is a twintip, I've hired them for the past couple of seasons, and never seen a half pipe Wink

Basically they are an awesome all mountain ski, had them in deep powder, also do fine on hard piste. If you check back my 1080 thread I posted some pics of me skiing off piste with them last season. Work great in moguls, trees etc.

Also an email I got from a SCGB rep who's wife has them

"So, what are they good at? Well she loves them for powder, they float well in crud, they're great edge-to-edge on hard pack and have superb grip on scraped/icy stuff. Better for short quick turns but still stable in more GS-type skiing.

The only area she thinks they're a bit lacking is high-speed stability, but I know that she's actually skiing them a hell of a lot faster than she was last year, so I think even that minor criticism is perhaps unwarranted"
snow report
alan empty,

I assume you've read these threads?

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5836
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=4345

I don't know if the geometry of the XX and B2 are the same but I've skied both and thought the XX good off piste, not so quick on. I haven't really taken the B2 off piste yet (and it is first and foremost an off piste ski) but all aspects of on piste performance are very good. If nit-picking, the B2 GS power turn and straight line stability are not the strongest, but not so as to make it significantly less enjoyable at either - the tips and tails are pretty soft but the middle quite stiff really.
snow report
Kramer wrote:
I think that the Bandit XXs and B2s are virtually identical.

Sorry..quite wrong. Yes the B2 was billed as a replacement for the XX, but was quite a radical change in construction from its predecessor. It's about 20% lighter than the XX, and I believe a fair bit wider (certainly at the tip). It's also a fair bit softer. I loved the stability of my (now rockhopper-only) XXs in crud, but they were quite heavy and needed a fair bit of speed before they woke up. Most of the back country guides I saw this year were using B2s with Freeride or Explore bindings - which must be some kind of recommendation. It does seem as if the B2s are like more by the lighter members of our fraternity than the more solidly built of us.

As I posted on a couple of previous threads I now have the Dynastar Legend 8000s, which should certainly be on your evaluation list. They do have fairly similar vital statistics to the B2s and the 1080s (bit wider than the B2, narrower tail than the 1080 and larger turn radius). This is billed as a 50:50 on/off piste ski - the 4800 are billed as a more on-piste ski (and I have seen a comment that the 6200 is just an Intuitf 74 with different graphics - although not sure whether I believe that). The 8000 is noticeably lighter than the XX but bouncier, it's fairly stiff, holds a quite reasonable edge for an all-round ski, and I'm skiing better on them than ever before. They skim over the powder quite fantastically and I much prefer them on piste too. So I'd say they were a definite improvement over the XXs (I've not tried the B2). I'm quite heavy (95kg), so I found I needed the 184s - the 178s were very nice to ski on piste and in the cruddy off, but sank too much in the softer off. You should be fine on the shorter skis (or even the next one down). Not yet had the chance to try them in any serious moguls (but my mogul technique is such that one ski is very much the same as any other there Sad ).

If you're hiring to buy, you may well get a reasonable deal from the hire shop. In any case you should really check out www.telemark-pyrenees.com who have pretty good deals on many skis at present (although they've not knocked anything off their B2 price). My bro (about your weight, a tad taller) is just getting some 1080s with touring bindings from them this week.
ski holidays
alan empty, where you going to be skiing? There's some sales here right now for example.
latest report
there are two 1080's

the normal white
http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_53_163&products_id=677

and the Lab Candide
http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_53_163&products_id=1642
snow report
Hi Ian. Sarah and I are off to Verbier on Saturday - skiing with either Warren or Jamie (I think) for 3 days next week. A wee bit terrified!

Thanks for all the info everyone - great stuff.

slikedges, hadn't seen the older one. Thanks for the link.
snow conditions
GrahamN, you live and learn. Thanks for the information. Very Happy
ski holidays
It sounds like you're considering the same kind of skis I was looking at, in which case this might help

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=4954

and then this might be of interest
http://www.nevisport.com/category-9-categories1-151-categories2-330

And if you are considering 1080 (despite knowing that any actually owning salomons will be laughed at by "those in the know" who know that salomon skis are all made from noodles, and bendy ones at that), well yo umight be interested to know that the scream limited (215 or so in the nevisport sale) is in essence a 1080 without the twin tip

let us know how it goes...
latest report
Whilst I won't rise to the Salomon bait, I will say my 2nd hand Xscreams just sold for a very good price on ebay, whereas my wife's K2 Fours didn't sell as well, so my huge leap from that is to say that the better known named skis will fetch a better 2nd hand price in a few years time.

regards,

Greg
snow conditions
I should point out for those who haven;t read my review that I ski pocket rockets, or supernoodles as they've been called by fellow snowheads Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alan empty wrote:
Hi Ian. Sarah and I are off to Verbier on Saturday - skiing with either Warren or Jamie (I think) for 3 days next week. A wee bit terrified!

Thanks for all the info everyone - great stuff.

slikedges, hadn't seen the older one. Thanks for the link.

You mentioned Stöckli, they have a sale on right now, there's a branch at Vevey.

I'd forget the 1080's, you probably want a pair of skis really..
ski holidays
ise wrote:
I'd forget the 1080's, you probably want a pair of skis really..

Smile oh-oh what have I started?

I like Salomon. I've not skied on a pair for 4 or 5 years but I hired X-Screams for a few years when they first came out - a pretty good ski, although I didn't ever like them enough to buy a pair.

I've got very fond memories of my old Force9 3S skis - now that was a great ski.
latest report
I had some force 9's, excellent ski. I had some Xscreams but never really got on with them. I like Salomon stuff, I wear their shoes everyday and have their boots. They've seen where the market's going and jumped in. I'm thinking of opening a store in the PdS selling English newspapers, 1080's, PR's and unnecessary garmets in goretex, English breakfasts and football on sky TV as well of course Very Happy

The 1080's have a composite core, they have a lot of flex, Salomon make them as a park ski regardless of what anyone says and that means they have a certain amount of flex.
snow report
ise wrote:
I'm thinking of opening a store in the PdS selling English newspapers.

Sounds great - just as long as you don't expect me to bring out all the neatly pressed Daily Telegraphs this time!

ise wrote:
The 1080's have a composite core, they have a lot of flex, Salomon make them as a park ski regardless of what anyone says and that means they have a certain amount of flex.

Maybe not for me then. I'll drop them down the list a bit.
ski holidays
it's weird, but when we took them off piste (1080s) with another guy on B2s, the guide + the guy on B2s reckoned the B2s were too stiff and the 1080s about spot on.

It'd be worth a days hire on them IMHO alan, especially if the shop you demo from will knock any hire costs of a potential purchase.

In 2003 Skieur magazine rated it one of the top 3 freeride skis.

Some other quotes from when I did my research:

"I spent the last two seasons demoing all
types of skis in all sorts of conditions and terrains and have to
admit that the 1080 is a real *fun* ski.

However, if you need real performance on groomed, and enjoy sking
concrete, then I'd stay away from the 1080. Otherwise, it's as fun a
ski that I have tried in the last 6-7 years.
"

regards,

greg
ski holidays
Quote:

well that is so, and that is what makes them imo and ioo a super off piste ski. they're also pretty good on piste.

but then they don't have wood inside so they must be carp Shocked
latest report
This man is on 1080's

and he is one poo-poo hot skier I can assure you Shocked

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 9-07-05 16:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Seen this argument before and the conclusion was ........

The pro's in all forms of skiing often get a totaly different (much more beefy) construction ski with the same top sheet. (e.g. The Pocket Rocket the top pros ride is not what you buy in the shops.)

Salomon do make easy to ski fun skis (especially for the lighter rider) but heavier expert skiers don't tend to get on with them.
ski holidays
alan empty,

Quote:

However, if you need real performance on groomed, and enjoy sking
concrete, then I'd stay away from the 1080. Otherwise, it's as fun a
ski that I have tried in the last 6-7 years.

Quote:

well that is so, and that is what makes them imo and ioo a super off piste ski. they're also pretty good on piste.

I suspect that's right. The 1080 softness works very well off piste but if trying to accelerate off them on piste they just bend off. I admit I've only skied the Scream Ltd (single tipped 1080) at MK! but if they gave out there I'm sure they'd give out on a real hill. I tested the 724EXP and B2 at the same time and both held no problems and I could feel the speed build.

Quote:

Whilst I won't rise to the Salomon bait, I will say my 2nd hand Xscreams just sold for a very good price on ebay

Great point though, which will definitely influence my buying decisions in the future. It's just like cars. Maybe more expensive initially but less net loss in the end.
snow report
alan empty wrote:
ise wrote:
I'm thinking of opening a store in the PdS selling English newspapers.

Sounds great - just as long as you don't expect me to bring out all the neatly pressed Daily Telegraphs this time!

I still owe you for that Very Happy Last time I was in Les Gets I couldn't get a Telegraph, the Daily Mail of course and some tabloids.

We'll mostly be stocking the Daily Mail of course. I'm also going to launch a line of goretex skis which I think will go a storm. We've been working with our chief tester, Barry Punter, on the ski line and I think we've got a killer product. Many of you will know Barry of course, he's based in Perry Bar, Birmingham during the winter and is generally recognized in the local pub, the Dog and Balti, as one of the foremost local ski bores^H^H^H^H^H experts spending up to 10 days a year skiing. His background in ski hardware is impressive and, two years ago, he shared a coach transfer with a bloke whose wife once sat next to a SCGB rep at a Crystal fondue evening in Avoriaz. With the help of Barrys wife, Tracey, we'll be launching a range of clothing, some goretex swimming trunks and a goretex scarf will be available shortly.

alan empty wrote:
ise wrote:

Maybe not for me then. I'll drop them down the list a bit.

Having seen you ski I think you'll prefer something stiffer, the Scratch is better for example and the Stormrider was pretty good although I'd like to ski it more.
ski holidays
ise, bizarely I can actually think of uses for a Goretex Scarf if it was say lined with fleece Shocked
snow report
Alan Craggs wrote:
but then they don't have wood inside so they must be carp Shocked

My experience is that non-wood cores have, for me, way too much flex and seem in danger of slapping you in the face when travelling at any sort of speed, they also get deflected a lot. My other reservation is that non-wood cores seem to give a inconsistent response and even an inconsistent flex.

You've got to accept that most manufacturers use composites for one reason only and that's to reduce manufacturing cost. It's also getting fairly common that the mass market skis with the composite cores are being knocked out in Eastern Europe and the far-east while the premium skis with their wood cores are being done at their tradtional bases.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy