Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When is a ski boot sole too worn down to be safe?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Dear gear experts, I need your wisdom

During my adventures trying to do DIY boot fitting, I noticed that the soles of my boots (partcularly the bits that go into the bindings) are pretty worn down from lots of road walking.

When is it too unsafe?
If they are unsafe, are there any repair jobs that can be done?

I've included some photos for your judgement...

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like you need new boots. the heel bit can be replaced i think but not the toe. You could think about getting some cat tracks to use with youe new ones.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The ISO/DIN standards say the height of the toe/heel lugs should be 19mm & 30mm respectively. IIRC there's a -1mm tolerance for wear. Your heel looks quite worn. Is it the same wear across heel or is it greater on one side? When torque testing I've seen greater affects on the functioning of the binding with relatively less wear on just one side (ie the base of the boot is chamferred) compared to greater wear that's even across the sole.

The soles of boots can be ground square/flat (or even with a desired cant) & then have appropriate thickness plates attached. The top of the lugs might need routing down to bring them back to standard but this isn't possible if the lugs are hollow (CEM will know if that can be done to your boot make/model).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've seen way worse, yes replace the heel piece, no do not get this boot planed or routed.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was in my ski shop yesterday, and they mentioned (although mine are no-where near worn at the moment) that replacement heels are fairly easily obtained - and mine are Head boots, so perhaps you will find replacements quite easily.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for your help.

The rear heels are worn more around the middle third, nearer the outside (the view shown in the picture) and the front bits are more worn on the inside (other side from the side shown in the picture). At the centre, the front is about 10mm at the end and 9mm on the worn side. At the rear, it's about 19mm at the centre. The back heel piece is worn through and eating into the base material.

If the DIN standard is 19mm/30mm, this sounds pretty bad. Standards aside, when is it definitely dangerous and not recommended?

Is this normal? I've had the boots for around 5 seasons skied about 2 weeks every year...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Booty, my husband had new heel pieces fitted on his boots a couple of weeks ago in Les Gets (Nevada Sports who were so helpful). They were quite worn, in fact had not far to go before he would have been destroying the boot itself. Salomon boots and Nevada had the pieces in and did it free of charge for him which was brilliant as we didn't buy them there, or ever hire anything either so full marks to them.

He bought some cat tracks at the same time to try and keep the boots going for a bit longer. Not sure about toe pieces.

It prompted me to have a look at my old boots which were still in the cupboard as new ones bought this year (thank you to CEM) and they were very worn too so they got dumped at the tip before we left.

So good luck if you can save the boots
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have the same boots, they looked in similar nick when i changed my heel pieces. No way are they a new boot job. Emailed head and they said just go to your nearest head dealer. Got replacements from edge 2 edge where i bought them. £15 for the pair which seemed a lot but didn't have time to look around. I heard ski bartlett do head heel pieces a lot cheaper but not looked into it. Would be interested in how you get on. Mine are pretty wrecked again.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy