Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

thule ski carriers... options?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
got the new car coming at the weekend - went for a new diesel civic instead of the passat!

anyhow... i'm thinking that i'll get a ski rack to fit the roofbars to keep the inside for sitting in and the boot for ski gear etc. Has anyone got anything to tell me that might change my mind. I know skis are pretty tough things, but can any damage happen to them when they're on the roof bars. Does the salt from the roads affect the skis base or edges at all?

And, one final one. Has anyone ever made their own ski carrier? As far as i can see it's just a couple bits of metal with a rubber fitment that grabs the skis, all hinged at one end? That's not very much technology for over £80!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IMO ski carriers are only of use for occasional short journeys. Either keep you skis inside the car (inside a ski bag if you wish) or buy a roof-box.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shoogly, I've got a roof box and they're great - you can fot sooo much in them. Had ski carriers in past but I understand that the salt etc can mess up your bindings. If you don't have the roof bars I have an old set that are suitable for VW Touran, so don't know if they would fit Honda - suitable with roof rails. Would be happy to give them to you for a few beers
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Roads all over the Alps are full of cars with skis in racks, as are the autoroutes throughout France on the relevant days. Our car is too high to have a box on top - we wouldn't be able to reach it, to close it (we had one on our old car and closing it was a bit of an art) and it wouldn't go in the garage. We have a Thule Extender which has given sterling service for the last 4 years - it's much easier to use than the box and if it's done anything awful to our bindings then I haven't noticed. http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4.php?query=TU739&emulate=accgen

It's actually quite a clever bit of technology, with the sliding arms (which make handling multiple skis far easier) and locking mechanism, plus a very simple way of securing to the roof bars (if you don't lose the little bag with the nuts and bolts in, as I did this year, though the roofbox company replaced them very quickly and for not much money).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've already got the bars sorted. My folks had a new shape civic and still have the foot pack so i'm going to combine that with my aero bars from my last set. thanks anyway. Just thought it'd be a good idea to keep the skis out of the car for blasts from central scotland up to the mountains.

cheers for the info about salt on the bindings though... i suppose i could cover the bindings before travelling?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have one and it's very good, takes 1 min to fit the skis/boards on and is secure, i dont think that salt is an issue, i wouldn't get a roofbox because they are massive and i only need the skis on the roof, the boot has plenty of room for everything else.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i think, by the sounds of it, they'll be a worthy investment for taking skis and passengers up to the scottish mountains at least. means that everyone can sit comfortably inside and the luggage can go in the boot.

thanks for the input peeps Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shoogly wrote:
I've already got the bars sorted. My folks had a new shape civic and still have the foot pack so i'm going to combine that with my aero bars from my last set. thanks anyway. Just thought it'd be a good idea to keep the skis out of the car for blasts from central scotland up to the mountains.

cheers for the info about salt on the bindings though... i suppose i could cover the bindings before travelling?

Salt damaging bindings? Really? If you were genuinely really concerned, when you get to resort wash the bindings off.

Given the amount of crap and snow that gets in there, the chances of a bit of salt off the roads having any impact whatsoever seems almost impossible.

But you could wrap the bindings up - bear in mind that any plastic bags or something like that will be torn to bits in minutes at 70mph. You'd have to wrap them tightly with something strong, and then tape and tie them down hard onto the skis. To be honest you'll probably do more damage with that kind of thing hanging off the skis than having a bit of salt or grit get in the binding.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy