Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inner Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I think this book is fantastic and the approach really relevant, even if some of the examples are a tad over-simplified. Would be interested to know anyone else's thoughts on the Inner Game approach to skiing and instruction.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beanie1, I'm with you on that. Some really interesting perspectives and some quite thought provoking sections. I've also found it really useful in terms of helping describe to others different ways of thinking about problems they may be having or things they don't get.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I read it about 10 years ago (I think) and found it very interesting. I probably tried to apply the thinking to my skiing at the time but I honestly can't remember whether I found it effective.

IIRC, it was mostly about the psychological challenges and barriers that a skier might face, which isn't something I really have a problem with anymore. My mental approach is fine - I just need some more technique and fitness.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like this book a lot too Smile
At first I was quite skeptical - but at the end of the day it helps you to observe and analyse your behaviour.
It's probably only of use to people who *want* to analyse their performance and acknowledge that their state of mind and attitude affects their ability to learn and perform.
Many of the examples and 'situations' seem forced or contrived - but I can forgive that as a presentation technique (it seems part of US cultural behaviour)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the inner game is a very useful resource for ski teaching, although I've never personally been able to swallow the concept whole as it were. You do occasionally get people who are more comfortable doing something that is definitely wrong, and here you do have to tell them!

On the whole, though, as an addition to "normal" ski teaching technique the inner game can be very useful. You could also check out "Ski-ing is only a game" by Peter Lightfoot (who used to do courses in the Inner Game). Also quite an interesting read, but not as good as the original book. (Sorry Peter if you're reading this). Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm with easiski, on this one.

I used some of the stuff, and a very good book by Sarah Ferguson, to help passing BASI exams...but there is still no subsitute for good physical technique !

On the other hand, beanie1, if it's working for you......

Steve Sparks, (sorry to go a bit OT) - how was Verbier ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1, it's a good one. You might also try, "In the Yikes! Zone" if you like this approach.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy