Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trying to find a romantic birthday trip location

Poster: A snowHead
Can I pick the collective brains of all the snowheads out there Puzzled

I’m after advice on a resort for December this year (2005)
Thinking of trying to take may wife away on or near here birthday, which is on the 23rd.
The only criteria I can think of is that it needs to be, allow for our level (I can ski blues comfortably, she can do reds with some practise)
Ideally I’d like to take her somewhere romantic, snowsure and fun (she’s mentioned to friends she would love to go dog sledding).
I was hoping that some of you out there might be able to give me some ideas or past experiences ?
Thanks?

Rob (trying to be organised and romantic) wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rob,

Snowsure + December = High

That's a start point I guess.

CP
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Obergurgl might be worth a look. Went there for my honeymoon although that was a few years ago.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whistler would be a good bet.
also try some of the smaller western US resorts - Winter Park, or... hold on, just realised... SUNDANCE. Definite winner.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try the New Tempter House in Telluride. It used to be the highest private house in North America. Fantastic skiing as well Very Happy

http://www.tellurideskiresort.com/winter/index.php?page=Tempter+House
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You could look into Norway or Sweden. Guaranteed dog-sledding, and I hear their resorts are good for begs/intermediates. Should be reasonable snow in December, too.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowsure's a bit of a misnomer by December - what tends to happen is a large dump of snow right across the Alps days before the xmas week starts and resorts above 1800m will have had enough snow to open most of the pistes. Occassionally that doesn't happen, and only the truely snowsure resorts of Tignes and Val T and Obergugl will be functioning and even then they'll only struggle to open half the pistes.

What I learned is that it's a good idea to book a package deal with a TO at that time of year - they have the accomodation and ability (and usually contractual requirement) to relocate you to a resort with snow if the one you've booked into doesn't have enough. Either they bus you to the snow every day from the resort you booked into (if this is feasible), or they completely move you to new accomodation in the snowy resort.

Alternatively, go independently - buy the plane tix for the week you want to go, wait till the snow drops and then book transfers and accomodation for the most snowy resort.

Of course this doesn't answer your question about WHICH resorts to go for, sorry.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob and sharon,

Zermatt..!!! Or St Moritz..!! Not sure about the dogs tho' but the taxis are horse drawn in the former..!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try Chalet L'Oxalys in Val Thorens. Its very upmarket, with indoor pool Jacuzzi and huge log fire in the bar and a gastonomic restaurant. We stayed there with Erna Low and it wasnt ovepriced! They have hotel rooms and appartments and....... a bonus in Val Thorens their own underground car park.
Romantic in a high resort ? this is possibly the best chance in Val Thorens
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jackson Hole, recommended to my brother for his honeymoon, he had a fantastic trip and he was a one week skier. Plenty of dog sledding to Yellowstone and many other things to do.

Recommended in many places as one of the top 5 romantic places to go.

Some pics of my trip here inc dog sledding. I did 1/2 a day, really wish I'd done the full day, it was awesome.

http://www.gregh.co.uk/html/jackson.htm
n
regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob and sharon, Saas Fee.

Glacier skiing so snow should be good (we went in Xmas 02 and it was fine). Very pretty village so romantic, worlds highest revolving restaurant, ice pavillion cut into the glacier, and fun apres ski. Not sure about dogsledding, but there's a whole mountain with gondola access, just for walking and tobogganing - a huge long run right the way back down the mountain - sledges take 2, so romance and fun all together wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob and sharon, I would vote for Zermatt. Especially if you go with Scott Dunn.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As mentioned above, a number of Austrian and Swiss resorts would be more romantic than most French ones (or at least, the ones that most English punters know about)

However, you might want to consider a romantic way of travelling - going by train in a proper sleeper compartment to the French Alps, perhaps with a day or two in Paris at one end of the trip? Next w/e I am off to Courchevel with my g/f by sleeper from Gare D'Austerlitz - i can tell you after that whether it is as romantic as the James Bond films make out!

I know that you can go dog sledding in Courchevel because we are doing it next w/e

The skiing in Courchevel would suit all abilities.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went dogsledding for the first time last month. I wouldn't class it as romantic as it's a bit cold for the passenger as well as being a little bumpy and smelly - but good fun to do once, and the children love it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the ideas,
going to spend some more time working out budget and through all the ideas. Much as I would love to take her to US or Canada i doubt theres going to be the money. Am looking at Sweden / Lapland and short flight / break weekend too

Tony - Thanks for that idea, it might be a nice idea to go by train, hope your trip goes well
latest report
rob and sharon, for a really romantic train journey you could try the Glacier Express from St Moritz to Zermatt. I think that it takes about 7 hours, but it's meant to be stunning. It looked really nice when I was there, perhaps some snowHeads have tried it?
snow conditions
rob and sharon,
Couple of thoughts: Lapland, Sweden etc will be cold and have very little sun at this time of year, unless you plan to spend most of the day indoors I would think strongly before heading north for the shortest days of the year.
Jackson Hole may be a great place but it has not got a lot of the blues and reds that you are asking for.

In December high isn't necessarily best often low is just as good if the snow has fallen and if it hasn't high can be just a bit bleak.

Personally I wuold give resorts such as Lech a thought, it has a reputation for plenty of snow including early season. It has some great gentle skiing ( and tougher skiing as well). It also does the Austrian Gemutlicheit (Spelling?) pretty well with sleigh rides etc. Plenty of other places though
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy