Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Britain's greatest ever skier?

Poster: A snowHead
Following another thread sort of heading off on a tangent I've decided to start this one.

So who do you think is the best British skier ever? And why?

My vote is for the late Paul MacLeod, freeride/steep/extreme skier. In his hey day he skied pretty much all of the traditional super steep descents in Chamonix including a number of pioneering first descents. Including on one particular day a descent of the Mallory on the nth face of the Aiguille du Midi, the Eugster Couloir on the nth face of the Aiguille du Midi & the Nth Face of the Col du Plan.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most famous has to be Eddie The Eagle Edwards
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kel, greatest, best, most skillful not most famous. Fame is not as far i'm aware a measure of greatness, at least it isn't in my book.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 13-01-10 13:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In a similar poll on ifyouski.com a few years back, the name Jef Wickes came up time and time again.
That's not to say that someone greater than Wickes has appeared in recent years.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ha - good question.
In competitive terms it has to be Alain Baxter ?

If it wasn't for an unlucky anomaly in the US version of Vicks Vapor Rub then history should have recorded him as the UKs first winter Olympic ski medalist ?

Quote:
Including on one particular day a descent of the Mallory on the nth face of the Aiguille du Midi, the Eugster Couloir on the nth face of the Aiguille du Midi & the Nth Face of the Col du Plan
In a word, wow....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arnold Lunn - inventor of slalom skiing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Divina Galica
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jef Wickes, a legend in his own lunchtime.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lindsey Vonn Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Didn't Conrad Bartelski come second in a WC downhill.

If I rememebr correctly he would have won it if he hadnt lost it on the last jump and bum-skidded just before the line.

I'd vote for Baxter or one of the Bell's
Cheers
Bob
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Konrad Bartelski came 2nd in the Val Gardena downhill in December 1981
Graham Wilkie, of Surrey, became world's fastest skier in April 1987 in Les Arcs, and held that world record until September 1987
Vaila Macdonald, of Edinburgh, won the World Extreme Ski Championships at Valdez, Alaska, in 1994
Alain Baxter, of Aviemore, won the slalom bronze medal at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, but lost it on a technicality after a drugs test
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
frank4short, best or fastest or most successful in competition?

I think you would be on the right track with your suggestion. Alpine racing is such a narrow definition of skiing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yep Konrad B skied an absolutly fantastic run in that 1981 race, one of few bits of TV sport I remember from when I was a kid!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Niven or possibly Geoff Capes.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its a toss up between Konrad Bartelski and Alain Baxter because they are the only two who have ever been on the podium. I'll go for Baxter because his performance was at the Olympics even though he was robbed.
latest report
Mckay brothers are pretty damn good.
snow report
clarky999, Have to disagree on that one - decent skiers but nowhere near World or top European class
snow conditions
Jeff Russell Razz
ski holidays
Gina Hathorn missed an Olympic medal by .03sec in 1968, finishing fourth. She also had a World Cup 2nd place - and regularly top 10.
http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/610.html?sector=AL&competitorid=23711&raceid=8246

For 'career consistency' - Divina Galicia. Two World Cup podiums, also close to Olympic medal in 1972....... 1/3 off a second of Bronze (allowing for restricted Olympic Games entry).
http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/613.html?sector=AL&competitorid=19071&type=result&rec_start=0&limit=50

Sadly, the older data on FIS website doesn't list the entire field - just the top 10. It's hard to really judge these feats without knowing how many competed. I remember Divina appearing on Superstars in the 70's, but I'm pretty sure she was in Motor Racing by then. Bartelski had a great result in Val Gardena for sure, but I'm not sure he had too many top 15's throughout his career.

Tricky conundrum - it would be interesting to hear Martin Bell's thoughts, he had some great runs and results and should be in the mix. There was a race in I think either Aspen or Whistler where he was in real contention at the half-way split before taking a tumble. I shouted "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO"!! at the telly that Sunday for sure Sad .
ski holidays
Marc Poncin, Britains fastest ever skier 245km/h, the only Brit ever to win two FIS crystal globes.
ski holidays
frank4short wrote:

My vote is for the late Paul MacLeod, freeride/steep/extreme skier..

Paulo McLeod is not a bad choice although I've no idea what his skiing was actually like. Boivin, for example, descended a lot of ueber extreme stuff, much rarely repeated, but wasn't an elegant skier. I tend to agree with Dominique Perret who considers these steep descents a branch of mountaineering rather then actual skiing.

People like McLeod can go under the radar. There is a Welsh guy in Grenoble called Roy Thomas, who has put up a lot of extreme descents but none of it is mentioned online anywhere. He doesn't mix with the online crowd.
ski holidays
My vote goes to Paul McLeod. There is video footage of him skiing the Goofy Diagonal on the North Face of the Bionassay with Tardivel putting in beautiful smooth rounded turns on 50 degree terrain. No hop turns or lightweight rando kit.

It takes a lot of skills from the various disciplines to ski at that level.

The reason I came across this was...I was trying to confirm how many routes McLeod skied on the Midi in one day - I thought it was more than mallory, eugster and CdP - anyone know for sure?
snow conditions
Paddy Graham should probably be in here somewhere too
ski holidays
Ross Hewitt wrote:

The reason I came across this was...I was trying to confirm how many routes McLeod skied on the Midi in one day - I thought it was more than mallory, eugster and CdP - anyone know for sure?

Ewan Moffat would probably know ?
I doubt he is on this punter forum Very Happy ... but I can facebook him if your not already in touch ?

You going for 4 laps ? Wink
snow report
Quote:

I tend to agree with Dominique Perret who considers these steep descents a branch of mountaineering rather then actual skiing.

Not the way Ben Briggs does it Shocked
snow conditions
I agree with Ernst Goldsmith on 13 Jan 2010: Jef Wickes
ski holidays
midgetbiker wrote:
Quote:

I tend to agree with Dominique Perret who considers these steep descents a branch of mountaineering rather then actual skiing.

I would agree that skiing steeps old school fashion on lightweight rando kit with hop turns on hard spring snow is an exercise in billygoating that was left behind almost 20 years ago when wider skis made it possible to ski very deep powder. For me skiing is about fluidity and lush turns in primo snow which can be found on any angle - given a bit of patience. 50 degrees in perfect pow can be skied way faster with big smiles than 35 degrees on boiler plate.
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Ross Hewitt wrote:

Ewan Moffat would probably know ?
I doubt he is on this punter forum Very Happy ... but I can facebook him if your not already in touch ?

You going for 4 laps ? Wink

The Midi is finished for this year and the serac fall from the Mallory keeps wiping the snow off the Frendo lowers so it never came in. Vivian skied 4 a few years back, I thought Paul still held the record but will check with Muffer
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
I agree with Ernst Goldsmith on 13 Jan 2010: Jef Wickes

Crikey, never realised it was such an old thread.
snow report
Ross Hewitt wrote:
midgetbiker wrote:
Quote:

I would agree that skiing steeps old school fashion on lightweight rando kit with hop turns on hard spring snow is an exercise in billygoating that was left behind almost 20 years ago when wider skis made it possible to ski very deep powder. For me skiing is about fluidity and lush turns in primo snow which can be found on any angle - given a bit of patience. 50 degrees in perfect pow can be skied way faster with big smiles than 35 degrees on boiler plate.

Just watch Steep to see that change happen in front of your eyes.
snow report
I skied with their father a few years ago in Obergurgl. A very handy off-piste skier.

clarky999 wrote:
Mckay brothers are pretty damn good.
ski holidays
Sorry, can't agree with Baxter. Drug related disqualification excludes him in my book.
snow report
@eblunt, That's bonkers. "Drug related" makes it sound like he was on performance enhancing drugs, whereas he innocently bought a nasal spray not realising the formula was slightly different in the USA version. Under strict liability rules he lost his case but the amount of methamphetamine was barely perceptible and in any case would not have been performance enhancing. For me he's the best technical skier GB has ever had.
latest report
@eblunt, record straightening required!!

1. the 'drug' in the American version of Vicks is not Methamphetamine but a chiral version of the molecule that has no performance enhancing properties. (it's a decongestant)
2. historically drug tests couldn't tell the difference which is why it's banned. Ridiculous now, since the two molecules can be distinguished quite easily. (in fact, I'm not sure it is even banned now)
3. the trace in Alain's results was so slight that had his event not been on the last day, the field lab at the games would have shown a negative result. It was only because it went to 'one of the best labs in the country' that they were even able to detect it at all.
4. Alain Baxter was cleared of wrongdoing by the IOC - he is OFFICIALLY not a drugs cheat.
5. Many have said, including Benni Raich, who inherited Alain's medal, that Alain deserves his medal back. Unfortunately only the IOC can award it and for reasons unknown, they haven't.

In my mind Alain Baxter is an Olympic Bronze medallist.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 21-05-15 8:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@admin, thank you, that's what I wanted to say.
snow report
^ Yip - tragic sequence of events.
The European version of the inhaler was legal and he had used it for years.
The drug was an isomer of one on the banned list too, making his medal-stripping even more controversial.
Though I guess the regulations (however unfair) were the same for everyone...
Perhaps with a bigger support team someone could have been looking out for him ?

Either way Baxter was officially cleared of any wrong doing by the IOC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_Baxter
ski holidays
^ I agree.
P.S. Alain, not Alan. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
So he got his medal back? I don't think so. So no, he didn't win medal. Medals in Salt Lake were won by Vidal (gold), Amiez (silver) and Raich (bronze). And besides, his appeal to FIS was successful, while he lost his case against IOC. It really is as simple as that. There's no if's but's and god knows what else. He didn't win medal, end of discussion.
ski holidays
at0mic wrote:
^ I agree.
P.S. Alain, not Alan. Toofy Grin
Embarassed
But then, it's also Benni not Benny so at least I'm consistently inconsistent.
snow report
primoz wrote:
So he got his medal back? I don't think so. So no, he didn't win medal. Medals in Salt Lake were won by Vidal (gold), Amiez (silver) and Raich (bronze). And besides, his appeal to FIS was successful, while he lost his case against IOC. It really is as simple as that. There's no if's but's and god knows what else. He didn't win medal, end of discussion.

2 points

1) He was officially cleared of any wrong doing by IOC.

2) Ignoring the olympics : Alains other WC results still stand (arguably making him best British skier of all time)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy