Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brèche Nonne Evêque

Poster: A snowHead
A few days ago Dave and I skied the obvoius thin couloir in the middle of this pic

A few shots to whet your appetite....

There are loads more here
philingle.com

Phil
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wow - looks awesomly steep Skullie

sheer verticals Shocked

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 28-02-05 19:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
3 words:-

OH MY GOD! Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks super scary to me! Respect. Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
clearly one of the trickier blues in your resort - phew!!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gulp Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Had a set squares next to the monitor and the slope appears to be around 60 degrees for the last picture. That is simply awesome. The 3rd picture shows the skier had one hand resting on the slope. It doesn't wet the appetile, It wets the pants.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I couldn't even ski that in my dreams Shocked Much respect Cool
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Very much respect Shocked , now tell us all, did you break out of the assylum in order to do that as you are obviously quite mad if very skillful Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
3rd picture

If the skier's hand is 1 m from normal ground level (with the ski on) and his hand was about 35cm away from the body then the slope would be 70 degrees. He was leaning slightly against the slope and so take away say 5 degrees that would make the slope around 65 degrees. Very impressive indeed. Let's us not forgetting the guy who took the excellent pictures too,
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
philingle, perhaps you would be so kind as to tell us how steep you feel that that slope was? What do you feel is the steepest skiable slope?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skied by JMB way back in 1984 on 210cm straight skis. Before the glacier the slope is a drop of some 490 meters over 500 meters horizontal.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
God that makes it roughly a 45 degree slope. Shocked Unskiable according to some?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
philingle, To say the least, I am green with envy! Only 2 days before I had been talking about a trip to Chamonix with a guide friend and he was suggesting some routes and guess what, that was one. I suspect the trip is just a pipe dream but thanks for keeping it alive.

I am aware of the 45 degrees for 500m + but what is the rest like. I suspect from what I have been told there are a few sections at about 50+. Also, how did you handle the bottom?

I looked at your site and there is a real mix of stuff I have skied and stuff I wish to! What's next? Whymper?
snow report
I've just realised that I've got my steepness mathematics all messed up. Not that 45 degrees isn't steep, it is, but 65 degrees is a lot steeper.
snow conditions
philingle, Been looking at some of your other decents and the one that sticks out is the line next to poubelle. Totally insain exposure! Radical!
ski holidays
Kramer,

Your 45 degree angle is correct according to davidof's information. Say 500m vertical drop against 500m horizontal is a perfect 45 degree.

My estimate of 65 degree is based on Picture No. 3. It is very rough (like the body was bending a bit and the shot cannot be directly above the skier etc) but that agrees well with the 60 degrees one can measure with Picture No. 4.
snow report
My IGN software gives me 540m drop over 520m length. The guide book quotes it as 500m of 50/55 degree skiing. I would have said it was a pretty uniform 50 with three slightly steeper steps in in that were about 30m in length and possibly up to 55 degrees in angle. As for the steepest skiable slope it all depends on conditions and length and exposure. If it is short enough and unexposed you can ski any angle. For a sustained slope with exposure i would say that 55 is about the limit with patches of up to 60. i dont know of any descents here that have a uniform slope of greater than 55 degrees.

For the record you can skin up to the backside of this couloir and there is a 60m boot pack to the top, but then you would miss out on the conditions analysing on the way up and would be pushing you luck a bit.

We came up a couple of weeks ago to try this line but were suffering from early season forgetfulness and were missing tools and helmets and were too large a team, but we did get a good look at it.

As for 'whats next' then that line on the Droits looks very tempting

Laters

Phil
latest report
philingle wrote:
My IGN software gives me 540m drop over 520m length.
Phil

Pretty much what I said. A very steep sustained route.

What is interesting about these kinds of slopes are when they are skied. When Boivin first skied the slope at the end of April 1984 he would have done this because his big fear would not have been falling but avalanches. So people like Baud, Saudan, Vallencant and Boivin saw extreme skiing as a late (or sometime early) season activity. Their long, straight skis gave them the grip they needed on harder snow.

Now we have a better understanding of avalanches (although even a sluff or small ice fall on Phil's route would be fatal) and better equipment these routes are much more practical in the winter - when of course you have the relative advantage of powder snow.

It is worth remembering that some of Boivin's routes are rarely repeated. Hard then, hard now.
snow report
You are obviously not from the North of England because if you were you would have skied down without helmets and just wearing t-shirts.
snow report
davidof wrote:

What is interesting about these kinds of slopes are when they are skied. When Boivin first skied the slope at the end of April 1984 he would have done this because his big fear would not have been falling but avalanches. So people like Baud, Saudan, Vallencant and Boivin saw extreme skiing as a late (or sometime early) season activity. Their long, straight skis gave them the grip they needed on harder snow.

Now we have a better understanding of avalanches (although even a sluff or small ice fall on Phil's route would be fatal) and better equipment these routes are much more practical in the winter - when of course you have the relative advantage of powder snow.
Thought provocing stuff. I wonder how much this is also a reflection on changing conditions in the mountains. There seems to be far bigger gaps between storm systems which give the opportunity to see conditions stablise. maybe I am remembering things through rose tinted specs but back then fresh stuff seemed to be a little but often while today it seems to be a lot but less often.

Almost every serious decent I have done has been in the spring. Part of the reason is that access is easier. Skinning in deep soft snow or climbing as Phil is significantly harder than during the spring.

I also believe that we have a better understanding today of what makes the slope skiable. The true pioneers of extreme were really working in the dark and we have all benefitted from their knowledge. This even includes technique - moves that were considered revolutionary in the 70/80's are now taught to many.

What really has changed is that back then steepness was considered a barier and the danger. Now we know the limits it is now all about exposure and that is where I draw the line. Maybe its because I am older and have kids, but steepness now takes second place in my assessment to exposure. I am quite happy to ski extreme angles with low exposure (and hope I can still self arrest) while some lesser slopes with exposure I won't go near any more.
snow report
By 'exposure' do you chaps mean how dangerous it is when you fall over?
snow conditions
richmond wrote:

Exactly. Fr'example on Phil's route a fall just above the ice climb would be serious. There is also the risk of very very small avalanches or rock or ice falls from above having very grave consequences. Look at the deaths of Eduoard Baud or Alain Geleon last year, two professionals at the top of their game.

As another example a group of Grenoble skiers called the BLMS triggered a slab they described as no bigger than a king sized bed, this was in a steep couloir in the Ecrins. One of the skiers lost his footing and slid 300 meters suffering an open fracture of the thigh as hit hit the sides of the slope. He was maybe lucky, a whole season ruined but 5 other people died in avalanches that day in the same area.

ok it is cold but sunny here, so I'm off skiing now
latest report
philingle, Its skiing Captain - but not as we know it...... Puzzled
snow report
davidof, enjoy. Are you skiing the sort of stuff shown here?
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
richmond wrote:

As another example a group of Grenoble skiers called the BLMS triggered a slab they described as no bigger than a king sized bed, this was in a steep couloir in the Ecrins. One of the skiers lost his footing and slid 300 meters suffering an open fracture of the thigh as hit hit the sides of the slope. He was maybe lucky,.....................
IMO, that type of exposure is acceptable. What isn't is a route with a cliff 20 metres below that if you lose it, you go over the cliff. The route photoed above looks as if the exposure, for the most part, is OK although as has been pointed out, the exit is rather severe.

Part of the challenge is not only to be able to understand the risks but also to get your brain to accept your analysis! It applies in choosing routes and it might be preferable to ski a very steep (50 degree) section with no exposure than a less steep (40 degree) with outrageous exposure. However, standing at the top of the steep one is still brown trouser stuff even if logic says you are safer!!
ski holidays
Whenever I look at those pictures I feel the need to lie down very flat on the floor Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry Ian Hopkinson, this bit of floor is already taken (jelly-knees a gave way before I got to the climbing pix). They did it on what - skis? Are you kidding??? Shocked
snow conditions
richmond wrote:
davidof Are you skiing the sort of stuff shown here?

I suspect the route is rated 5.4 (couloir 50-55 degrees); plus there is the short ice climb. It is too difficult for me. My comfort zone is to 4.3 (couloir skiing or very long slopes with short passages to 50 degrees).

This is what I did today:

http://www.frostybear.net/photopost/data/503/79dome.jpg

probably about a 25 degree slope.... max. I climbed the ridge on the right and skied down the ridge on the left. Still nice powder snow, warm sunshine and fresh air - ski rating 1.1!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 1-03-05 17:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
philingle, what amazing photos ! jaysus - never thought i suffered from vertigo ....
snow conditions
Roughly how long does it take to climb up compared with how long it takes to come down (assuming that you don't come down on your @rse)?

davidof, the link doesn't work for me, and I'd like to see the 'photos.
snow conditions
I have been thinking about this all day! Its certainly inspirational and at the same time, scary! 50 degrees for 500 metres is mindblowing. How would you compare it (if you can)with Poubelle. I guess poubelle is shorter, there are the rocks normally in the middle section and it is narrower but to me, the length of continued intensity must make this a significantly more challenging slope? It must also be a factor that you really have to earn your turns which, although there are obvious benefits, must add to the strenous nature of the decent.

For all the talk of steeps and exposure, the most pleasurable skiing this year was Heliskiing in Italy where we didn't really ski anything over 30 degrees (too unstable) but had really good powder for nearly 200 vertical metres. It doesn't have to be steep to be good. snowHead
latest report
SimonN. in comparison to the Poubelle i would say that it is about the same width mostly. However when i skied the poubelle i fell and managed to arrest my fall. i dont think that i would have been able to had i have fallen in this couloir (apart from at the very top where it wasnt soo steep). I would say that there is a fair difference in the difficulty of the two couloirs. I am fairly certain that in terms of exposure a fall anywhere in this couloir would have ended up with you bouncing off rocks and being spat out the bottom.

Talking of good skiing not having to be steep the slopes that we skied from the couloir down were amazing smooth silky powder at an average jo sort of angle, much better skiing than the couloir. i would call the couloir bit more of a descent than a ski. the fun is in the challenge and the location. not in the skiing.

Some of the highlights of the day were sitting on the breche at 4 in the afternoon, 2300m above the stream of little black dots making their way down the Vallee Blanche before the clunk of the bindings and the start of the descent, chopping an ice bollard to abseil off while the sun went golden then red as it passed through the haze on the distant horizon and we were bathed in a surreal orange glow, and watching the sparks come of each others edges as we cruised an amazing untouched powder slope after all the hard work was over, and the bite of the cheddar cheese and branston sandwich that was my last bit of food for the day whose taste stayed with me till my first beer back in the valley. When we t back to town there was FIS race on at the slope at Planards and the crowd were somewhat amused when among all the lycra racers there appeared two disheveled looking ski mountaineers with big packs, and bigger skis on the piste.

Tomorrow we head up for another line wink

Phil
snow conditions
Ian Hopkinson,
Quote:

Whenever I look at those pictures I feel the need to lie down very flat on the floor

If you turn your monitor on its side it looks like they are lying down.
philingle, No disrespect mate, but you are obviously completley out of your box Shocked
latest report
philingle,
Great pics, look forward to the next route's pics as well

davidof,

Link didn't work for me either, anyone else with this problem?
snow conditions
Davidof's link should work now, there was a comma at the end which screwed it up rolling eyes

His descent looks a bit plausible...i.e. I could imagine myself conceivable attempting it in a world where I was fitter and a better skier - whereas philingle's I really can't snowHead

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 1-03-05 20:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
philingle, please keep us posted. What you do looks fabulous but absolutely crazy simultaneously.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy