Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort ideas - a mid March get away

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Heading to La Plagne with a chalet full in January but the other half and I fancy another trip somewhere in mid March. Probably about the 10th/11th weekend for a week to avoid the various international school holidays. Could any of you fine and knowledgeable people suggest some resorts that we should aim for based on the below?

- We have always been in Jan or Feb. Do we need to worry about resort height/snow sure resorts if going mid March?
- We are two intermediates. Happy with blues and reds. Done 1 black before last year. So ideally a resort that will match our ability!
- We would like to look at Austria primarily as we have done a few trips in France and fancy something different. (as a second option, Switzerland but would prefer Austria)
- Not too bothered about massive apres. In fact, we'd rather avoid a party resort and go to a more "traditional" place with some decent bars and restaurants.

We plan to either go DIY or look for a late deal the week before.

Thanks in advance!

Fridge

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 6-12-17 15:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Austria should be fine but choose an area with some higher areas.
We went to Austria that time last year and were based in altenmarkt and Radstadt but had a hire car. That way we drive to higher areas like obertauren Dachstein west and Salbach. If you get the Salzburg super ski pass you have 27 (I think) ski areas to choose from.
Lower slopes and the home run can be hard work in the afternoon at that time of the year.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alpbach
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Fridge03,

In mid-march the snow should probably be at it's greatest depth at any time during the season. It's possible that the quality may not be quite as good as in mid-Feb, but I'd be astonished if you were actually short of snow. Mid-March is my absolute favourite time to go, the days re longer, the sun is warmer and if you time it right none of the schools are on half-term anywhere. The answer is that you absolutely do not need to worry about snow depths/resort height etc. They might even have snow in Morzine then! Here's a graph to show you what I mean about snow levels... I've picked Meribel, but all the resorts look the same. https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/weather/France/Meribel_Snow_History_Wide.png

No particular suggestions re: Austria. We enjoyed Obergurgl, although found it a little limited. Smallish area and easy runs. Can I persuade you to consider Italy? You might like Madonna di Campiglio.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Fridge03,

In mid-march the snow should probably be at it's greatest depth at any time during the season. It's possible that the quality may not be quite as good as in mid-Feb, but I'd be astonished if you were actually short of snow. Mid-March is my absolute favourite time to go, the days re longer, the sun is warmer and if you time it right none of the schools are on half-term anywhere. The answer is that you absolutely do not need to worry about snow depths/resort height etc. They might even have snow in Morzine then! Here's a graph to show you what I mean about snow levels... I've picked Meribel, but all the resorts look the same. https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/weather/France/Meribel_Snow_History_Wide.png

No particular suggestions re: Austria. We enjoyed Obergurgl, although found it a little limited. Smallish area and easy runs. Can I persuade you to consider Italy? You might like Madonna di Campiglio.

Thanks for the info regarding the snow! We have always aimed for resorts over 1800m which has mainly been down to the poor early season snow so being more relaxed on that sounds good.

Italy is an option as well. We were maybe going to drive hence why we considered Austria primarily but if we can grab a cheap flight then Italy isn't ruled out.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dolomites - intermediate heaven - anywhere on the Sella Ronda will do and the scenery is spectacular.

I used to stay in the Hotel Malita in Arabba which gives excellent access to both directions of the Sella Ronda plus the Marmolada area
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Fridge03,
Quote:

Thanks for the info regarding the snow! We have always aimed for resorts over 1800m which has mainly been down to the poor early season snow so being more relaxed on that sounds good.

I've previously adopted the same approach when going in early April. Someone correctly pointed out that I should be more concerned about the altitude of the mountains than that of the resort. For example, Avoriaz is pretty high at 1800m, but the highest lift is just 2280m. Arguably it's better to be in a resort at 1300m with pistes up to 3,250m. Having said that, I like to be able to ski back to the village so I'm not that keen on staying in a resort at, say, 1,000m (in France) as it's pot luck whenever you go.

+1 for the Dolomites. Stunning scenery, perfect pistes, great food. What's not to like?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You'd be pretty unlucky not to get decent snow at that time in March most places. Runs back to resort are covered in pretty much every significant resort with snow making. The only thin I would say is that in a very warm year south facing runs can be quite affected , More alternating slush and ice than lack of snow but I would go for a resort that is not predominantly south facing. Having some south facing slopes is no bad thing though it can be pretty cold as well.
Looking for a late deal just before you go means that you can be pretty certain of good snow if it happens to be a really bad snow year.
Dolomites are fab, Amade region in Austria is great as well Saalbach sounds like its the kind of place that you would enjoy but I haven't tried it myself.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Fridge03, 2nd week in March is the best week of the entire season...

No Kids
Long days
Good Snow

Selva in the dolomites or Lech (Austria) or Arosa (Switz) would be my top 3....

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 5-12-17 21:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd recommend Mayrhofen in Austria. Its a great town & there are lots of different resorts on the one lift pass (including Hintertux glacier), with free bus travel between them in the Ziller Valley.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Fridge03, lots of good advice above although. If you’re a couple and flexible i’d book it in the week before you travel. The snow conditions can vary massively across the alps so that way you have the best chance of guaranteeing yourself good snow conditions and weather forecast (which are probably more important than the specific resort). March is as reliable a time as any but, for example, you could still get a warm spell with rain to altitude in the Western Alps while Eastern Austria could fare much better (or vice versa)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Saalbach! Mile upon mile of intermediate pistes, beautiful and quirky mountain restaurants and bars, pretty town and excellent lift system.

I know I recommend Saalbach time and again, but it really does take some beating as an all-round resort. Or maybe Hinterglemm if you'd prefer the quieter of the two towns.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@foxtrotzulu, Austria altitude can be much lower than French altitude for the same time of year.

@Fridge03, cracking idea to look at Austria.... take a look at Warth, linked into the Arlberg so big ski area, but also not as busy....or Kitzbuhel...or Saalbach

@BobinCH has nailed it though, book late and follow the good conditions/good forecast (depending if you want snow or sun!)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the help and information everyone. Lots of good advice!

We like to be able to ski all the way back down but will consider the piste heights rather than the resort. We have never left it that late to book before, so looking forward to the flexiblity of picking where has the best current snow and weather predictions.

I have heard good things about the Dolomites previously, but Austria is definitely up there on our list of places to start exploring and is a bit easier to drive to!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some good suggestions above already and I'd second the idea of leaving it late seeing as its not a peak week - choice of where the snow is good and probably some bargains to boot.

I'd add Serfaus to the list above of good Austrian resorts, high for Austria anyhow (1400m resort level I think) and has large piste network with very modern lifts and great mountain huts. Mayrhofen, Saalbach and Lech (if budget isn't an issue) also good ideas, Zell am See would suit too and very picturesque with backup of the glacier nearby at Kaprun if the snow did get dodgy. Lots of others too, you're spoilt for choice Very Happy
snow conditions
@kitenski,
Quote:

@foxtrotzulu, Austria altitude can be much lower than French altitude for the same time of year.

Indeed. That’s why I specified 1,000m in France.
snow report
"White Pearl Mountain Days" (google it if interested) starts on 16th March in Saalbach and continues for two weeks. Was very good last year. Ski until mid-afternoon and finish with a great mountain-top party, with good food, drinks and live musicians. (Then ski down).
snow report
Thanks @tatmanstours, I shall give it a look.
snow conditions
TQA wrote:
Dolomites - intermediate heaven - anywhere on the Sella Ronda will do and the scenery is spectacular.

I used to stay in the Hotel Malita in Arabba which gives excellent access to both directions of the Sella Ronda plus the Marmolada area

I've done the second week in March in the dollies from 2012-2016, and always had great skiing. OK so on the worse years it's on-piste only, and will get soft in the afternoon, hence do the trickier bits of the Orange route (around Arabba mainly) in the morning if possible as they can get quite 'choppy' in the afteroon

i would also suggest for Austria to look at ski-welt, bunch of different resorts, Ellmau, Going, Soll, Hopfgarten etc - like the dolomites they are good a 'making the most of the snow that they have' Easyish transfers for Innsbruck or Munich - and various english tour operators go there if you want the 'comfort' of travelling with reps etc.
ski holidays
Mid March is pretty well high season in many French resorts.
snow report
Lech.
Zermatt.
Wengen.
snow report
Quote:
Austria altitude can be much lower than French altitude for the same time of year. 
Pardon?? After reading this repeatedly, I have no idea what it is supposed to mean... Puzzled
latest report
It means that the snowline in Austria is often lower than it is further west. Could be more clearly expressed.... wink
ski holidays
Hi all,

Just a quick update. We are looking at the last week in March. Probably a short trip from Thursday (29th) to the Tuesday. Would Zermatt/Cervinia still be good options at this time? We've not long got from La Plagne so have seen the fantastic snow conditions first hand but just double checking!

Also looking at Kitzbuhel but it is low for late March. We aren't bothered about snow in the village. As long as it's good on the hill!

We have ruled out the Dolomites for this trip as more than likely we will be driving so 12-13 hours is kinda our limit (we will fly there next season more than likely).
latest report
+1 Serfaus, big ski area, high, excellent for intermediates. Just an hour easy drive from Innsbruck.
latest report
zermatt/cervinia is one of the safest bets in terms of snow...most of the skiing above ~2000m and a good chunk of it above 2500m, huge glacier etc etc

One of the best resorts for late march through to end of april, should be fine for you
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy