Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 inches of rain in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Only joking

Any good weather/ snow reports for Austria, particularly the Ski Welt?

Going on Saturday

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Johnboy where you off to ? Going same day to Ellmau Very Happy flying Bournemouth to innsbruck

Rich

p.s I "£$% myself when I saw the title of your post Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Type23,

We are staying in Hotel Eggerwirt, Soll. Fancy a beer?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In hotel Alte Post;thanks for the offer Smile don't know about getting over to Soll as tagging along with a group but have a great time skiing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We're off to Obergurgl - arriving at Innsbruck about 9am I think snowHead snowHead It is a tad chilly in Obergurgl at the moment Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shocked It says on snow-forecast that it was -28C this morning in Obergurgl Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just spoke to my mate that live's in soll,loads of snow great skiing.Iwas there last week and i've never seen so much.
have a good time clive.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JohnboyI nearly threw my computer out the window when I read your title. Mad Flying Belfast to Salzburg on 19th. Hope your joke doesn't bite me in the xxx Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah, I second that. Flying to Munich 19th for two weeks in St Anton. Had two weeks of concrete ice in the 3 Valleys in New Year so hoping there'll still be soft white fluffy stuff left. Don't use it all up!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
big k,
Flying Bristol to Salzburg on 19th. Staying at St Johann. Where are you going?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A bit late for Johnboy but we just got back from Austria and it was fantastic Cool

Stayed in the resort of Wagrain in the heart of the Salzberg Sportwelt Amadé and have to say it was the best weeks skiing I have ever had!
Loads of wide runs, lots of powder, excellent lifts with minimal queing even first thing in a morning, fantastic views, lots of beer, friendly helpfull locals, quite simply it was perfect.
For beginners the ski school teaches in English, with class size usually being limited to 6.
My 11yr old daughter came along for her first time and had 3 2hr lessons in snowboarding and was then of an acceptable standard!

For us it is the perfect place, and only 40km's down the A10 from Salzburg so handy for transfers, although we drove all the way from the UK.

Bob snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just got back from Mayrhofen and several other resorts/ski areas in the Zillertal valley. Awesome conditions all week. Lots of fluffy stuff but very very cold, -15 to -20. Fortunately the sun was out for about 4 days so that stopped the forst bite from setting in, that said my toes still feel a bit funny!

Hardly any queues all week, even for the infamous Penken gondola where I queued for a max. of 5 mins.

It was still well below zero when we left and snowing so if anyone is off to Austria in the next week or two, conditions should still be very good.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just got back from StAnton after spending 2 weeks there. Also very cold (down below -20 some days) but sunny with it most of the time. No new snow for 2 weeks but then was snowing when I left yesterday Sad
Still, managed my first night-time sortie by climbing the mountain and then skiing down at 4 in the morning by the light of the full moon a week and a half ago. Awesome.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yipppeeeee Laughing
Better stay good - heading to Soll on the 12th!!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountain mad, Again?
latest report
nope - its my one and only trip... but whenever I see a post with the words Soll I have to add my own 2p worth of excitement!
ski holidays
Still Snowing folks. Over 30 cm above 1200m and also 15-20 in the village over 24hrs
ski holidays
Dave J, Hotel Buggeroff or Bruggerhof, something like that. Looks like it's deep deep powder for a week, yahoo.
If I knew how to PM you, I'd send you my mobile no. however i'll be easy to spot, I'll be the one with my eyelids frozen open and a grin from ear to ear Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
big k, to PM just go to the Send/Read Messages on the top right. It's easy.
snow conditions
Folks, Just got back from Soll Very Happy

You can read my report in Ian's resort report section in the RESORT SECTION.

If you can't be arsed conditions are excellent
snow report
johnboy, glad you had a good one, we've been there twice and Soll has never let us down! I love the skiing in Austria, the general atmosphere is great and the cost both on the mountain and in the resort is always reasonable. I have never found the altitude to be a problem neither have the lift queues in peak season. Did you try the chicken (on a spit) and chips just down from the middle station in Soll? If not then try it next time.

I have a question. You appear to have skiied several countries and I have skiied a few with the exception of France. If you have skiied in France can you tell me how it compares with Austria briefly? My main concern is cost once we are there, e.g. on the mountain and in the resort plus the general ambiance. Cheers (sorry for going off topic but I'm looking at destinations for next year).
latest report
johnboy, I've just seen the thread in the piste section on the two countries!
snow conditions
Just got back from Ellmau, never seen so much snow!!!!!! Brilliant week but heavy going sometimes and lots of moguls. Had a fantastic time and can recommend Ski-Welt area.

Rich
latest report
hayley t,
Found Ellmau (Austria ) pretty resonable. Love Skiing in France but have definitely found it more expensive in the past.

Rich
snow report
Flachau superb last week, no moguls just powder, powder, powder. Big ski area and just 40mins taxi ride from Salzburg. For all you Austria fans I would definately recommend it.
latest report
Returned from Soll on 19th...

We were very lucky - arrived on 12th and it was snowing heavily. Rest of the week was very sunny - so fantastic skiing on a good base of snow.
Unfortunately by end of week the snow started turning to slush due to the high temps... Leaving on the Saturday it was cloudy and started raining heavily - so unfortunately think we had the last good week of skiing in Skiwelt. (As I suspect temps were too high for the rain to translate into snow on the mountain top - but I could be wrong...)

p.s. fab holiday!!! snowHead
latest report
mountain mad, just read your report. Glad you had a good one and more importantly, discovered the roast chicken! We have been searching for the equivalent across Austrian ski resorts since we went to Soll and finally found it this year in Mayrhofen!
latest report
Looks like the thread title will eventually become relavant Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi hayley - the chicken was fab!
Think I maybe converted to austria... previous experience is france but I really enjoyed this holiday, and i seem to remember you asking somewhere on a comparison... (I know its not the right thread but I'm feeling lazy... moderator if you want to move this comment then please do!)

For me... have travelled usually on packages and these are my comparisons based on 5/6 french holidays and 1 to austria

1. Rooms - french chalet rooms have invariably been poky and small with shared bathrooms - austria seems to be mainly hotel accomodation and we had a proper sized room with our own bathroom

2. Getting lunch on the slopes - price wise maybe similar as usually go into self service restaurant type places but the quality and quantity of the food was brilliant - still salivating at the home made chunky hamburgers!

3. Lifts and queues - less queueing in Austria although looking at the maps they still seem to have some dodgy old 1 man chairs and lift bars, but french lift system was always top notch.

4. Crowds - France usually seemed more busy - maybe because of the queues, although austrian slopes did seem to have a higher proportion of fast seemingly out of control nutters. Our snowboard instructor attributed that to crazy germans - but not sure if thats a fair stereotype

5. Kilometres - France has to win on this but I'm getting less interested in that as I'm prefering to do a quality slope well several times and learn new techniques/tricks rather than what now feels like a 'macho' completion of all lifts/runs in a large area.

6. People - mixed - found some very grumpy people in both austria and france, but i think on balance it felt friendlier in austria. although as i was on a board there was a lot less interaction as no one seemed to want to get on a chair lift with me!

7. Apres ski - to be honest was so shattered on this holiday we didn't really get into the apres ski thing - too much pain and bruises, but judging by the other tables in our hotel it was fantastic - leaving Whisky Muller at 5am! We felt like boring farts!!!! but if you want it - its definitely there in Soll!

Intend to do Austria again - but will always leave it till late to book depending on where there's snow...
But then again I'm sure i will go back to France but its not a priority destination - want to try new places!
ski holidays
mountain mad, thanks for that. The mileage is attracting us to France but I'm not too keen on the chalet thing - I prefer hotels.

Totally agree on no.2, hamburgers were excellent. I also got some very strange stares from Germans in the restaurant when I made a chip butty!

On No. 3, I found that lifts in other areas such as Saalbach and Mayrhofen had been updated quicker than the Ski Welt and virtually all were modern chairs and gondolas etc. Just in case you were looking at other resorts. The one man chair in Soll is a relic, it's so old it probably has a preservation order on it!
snow report
hayley t, seems like every Austrian resort has one ancient one man chair! My favourite is the ancient chair serving the powder heaven in Kitzbuehel. Cleverly hidden behind an small wood, not many people find their way to this lift although it's only a few meters away from one of the main concentration points of the resort in the Ehrenbachgraben. You will find that even on the rare days when there is a ten minute queue to get out of the Ehrenbachgraben there is not one body waiting on the powder heaven express...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy