Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1080 /mid fat ski length?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been skiing 1080s for my past few ski trips.

First time I tried them was on 181cm, and since then I've mostly skied 171cm, but last time I was in Chamonix the hire shop convinved me to try 181cm which I did for a day, but then dropped back to 171cm for extra maneovureability through trees, moguls etc.

Just wondered what people thought on the length suitable for me? I've 5ft 10", 13st 6 lbs and a good on and off piste skier. I've been skiing for 20+ years, which only equates to around 185 days on snow!!

Can anyone recommend any other ski's to try? I was going to try the B2 in Chamonix but the shop only had 186cm left, which I thought were too big.

cheers,

greg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
172 or 178 cm Dynastar Legend 8000 (very smilar dimensions to your 1080's)
176cm Head Mad Trix Mojo (wider 90mm waist but still OK on piste)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gregh,

The B2 is about 76 waist so if you are considering skis of those dimensions try the Head Mad Trix at about 75m or the Head Monster 75 which I liked better than the B2. Also the Apache Recon.
All-rounder skis IMO and for your size I would ski a shade under 180

Agree with trying the the Dynstar if you want to go to an 80m waist
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gregh, Seems to me the only reason to go long is to get more area for off piste float. If you value the extra maneovureability more and are happy there's still enough area for you head into the powder, stick with the 171's.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cheers Rich,

That's what I though, the 171 appears to have enough float, but I've not had them in bottomless powder yet

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice pics, that you?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yup thats me on 171cm 1080s, top pic is La Plagne March 2004, bottom one is opening day at Val D'Isere, 29th November 2003. Bottomm one the guy taking the pic took it as video as opposed to still, otherwise it could have been an awesome piccie!

La Plagne last march was amazing, selection of best shots here:

http://gregh.co.uk/albums/laplagne

the one of the monoski isn't me Wink

cheers,

greg
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Damn, wish I could be skiing powder like that Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
but I've not had them in bottomless powder yet

And your definition of bottomless powder is...? wink

Damn but those is nice piccys gregh
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You sure ski mighty purdy, gregh!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
my definition is .....

deeper than those pics Jim Wink I could just about breathe Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gregh,

I'm shorter / lighter than you and normally ski a 166cm, 90mm waisted ski in the powder. Tried the same ski in a 186cm and it was much harder work, it just didn't have the maneovureability (correction - I couldn't work it) through trees and moguls. In bottomless stay on the same skis, just go faster and keep smiling. snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gregh,

Nice pics, glad you included the headplant otherwise would be hugely jealous...!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fortunately the headplant wasn't me on that occasion Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy