Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2009-10 Season Trip Report: Nendaz.

Poster: A snowHead
norris, thanks for posting the pics I should get my finger out and do the same! Any anytime, was a pleasure to ride with you. Shame about the weather: it was crap until Saturday.

bobinch, your correct as your brilliant TRs and the video norris linked of his two days before last Wednesday
(linky) prove. Sadly my car is sat outside with a flat battery through underuse: yet another thing for me to get off my backside and sort.

On with the show:

It's been a while and as alluded to above the weather hasn't been great, while we've missed out on the snow that has hammered Cham, Courmayeur and the PdS we still did quite well at collecting the cloud that went along with it. Still there have been some good days in and among the poor conditions.

Shortly after the last report gorilla and I headed up the Rosablanche, a fairly mellow touring peak skirted by the Verbier-Zermat haute route although well climbed by others. Gorilla stuck a couple of photos from this day on the Verbier snow report thread and I haven't nicked his others yet. I couldn't take my camera as I didn't own a glacier rope at the time so in the interests of safety over showing you lot a good time I filled my bag with a 55 m 8.5 mm climbing rope, needless to say this didn't leave much space for anything else so I was not only sans camera but had to apply for team wannabe hardcore by wearing my harness complete with ice screw and the rest of the kit on the bus Embarassed Anyway as an apology for this blatant muppetry here's a picture of the route we took (blue is up, orange is down).

There are quite a few descents possible from the Rosablanche, Haggis Trap has a nice report on his website showing the descent to the Lac du Dix so no doubt we'll be back up there in the future.

After that the weather stopped playing ball again (although still no meaningfull snowfall) and I tweaked a hamstring so didn't fancy going out in the cloud no matter how spectacular the occasional views, this photo was from a day or 2 after the Rosablanche when I was trying, but failing to stretch out my leg.

Towards the Verbier area from Greppon Blanc

All in all it didn't really improve until the arrival of Norris who's summed up that day well enough: a great day out with the exception of that one little rock. All that remains is for me to throw in

Picking a line into superbowl

Norris drops into Barry's

The weather closed in again but since Saturday it's been good again although the fresh snow and wind at the end of last week has thrown the avvy danger back to high we've found some good turns. Again I didn't take any photos today but gorilla and RPF both did so hopefully there will be more shots from behind Mt Fort and all the other great places around here soon. Thanks for reading and, again, sorry about the lack of pics.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
True Story: Last night a girl came up to me and told me her friend’s face smelt like ice cream and I should lick it to make sure...

I guess that’s the difference between the night life in Nendaz and Verbier. Gorilla has a large group of friends staying in Verbier this week and as I have a mate working the season over there it was a good chance to go over for a night and catch up, this turned into two nights for me and given gorilla isn’t in the flat now I’m guessing it’s three for him. Interestingly the one thing that appears to be cheaper over there is beer so I can’t say I blame him.

Being in Verbier early doors makes getting to Bruson pretty early easy and with RPF and his brother being in Le Chable we decided to check it out today.

A week since snow and a five minute walk gets you here

RPF

The exact same walk but going the other way gives you some cornice tumbling fun and the chance to check out your track.

Dylan follows down with good track etiquette.

and RPF slightly less so

Good work everyone
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Swirly, Your track crossed mine, yours just happened to be there first Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sweet Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swirly, that's top class powder hunting a week after snow! Any good in the trees?
snow report
 brian
brian
Great pics as always, guys. That was a killer rock though. Sad

Should be a decent dump today. Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bobinch, yeah we rode the second line down to the bottom (felt like about 10 road crossings!), was still a fair bit in the trees but we were slightly conservative as we didn't know where we were going. Snowing hard atm but absolutely no visibility. Tomorrow should be pretty damn good.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swirly, Very Happy Toofy Grin Smile Madeye-Smiley Blush Little Angel wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great report - lucky bugs. Nightlife in Nendaz... found any? Cactus, Chin Chin .. or Le Feeling?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good powder conditions in the trees above La Tzoumaz today. Dust on crust on southerly aspects lower down, though.

Tomorrow looks like it could be pretty good. We've had about six inches of snow at village level and it seems to have come in without that much wind.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fifespud, cactus would be the normal place but it's expensive and a bit dull.

Bruson again today where we met up with bobinch he's put some photos here. There was about 25 cm of fresh onto crust and as it clouded over we went to the trees where it was a bit deeper, mainly due to the lack of crust. It takes just over an hour to get from Nendaz (well Siviez really) to Le Chable where there is a bus (or a handy snowhead with a car) for the short journey to Bruson from where you can ski back to Le Chable.

Just 2 photos from me today.

bobinch

gorilla

We almost left it slightly late to get back: with no idea where the run went and the poles seeming to lead you back to Bruson we made up a route involving streams, various paths and walls that got us down to the edge of town at 20 past 3, with our last lift back closing at 4 in Lac de Vaux we made it with a comfortable 5 minutes to spare wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swirly, I once ventured into Le Feeling, absolutely terrifying! I assume you came down the Chassoure - still in good nick? Lets face it, its not a good day unless a stream and some tree hugging have both been included.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fifespud, I've heard rumours about Le Feeling and don't really want to check if they're true! Yeah came down Chassoure but vis was pretty bad, the last time I had a rush back it was really quite good, the bumps had mainly filled in and the snow was chalky: a bit like La Grave when it hasn't snowed for a couple of days but stayed cold.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Immensely jealous here. Keep posting photos!

Swirly wrote:
Fifespud, I've heard rumours about Le Feeling and don't really want to check if they're true!

Because you just know its going to be expensive Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Today was quite nice, the cloud outside the apartment was only low lying so we were soon greeted by bluebird conditions with a nice 6 inches of fresh from yesterday to play in. We headed up top and down the back to Superbowl.

gorilla drops in (note the safe line through the crevasses) while two locals wait on the ridge.

lower down the terrain spreads out.

gorilla explains his username.

This was a lovely pitch.

I love my job.

We wanted to do a couloir a short hike from here but when we got there the snow looked really unstable, it appeared a few others had had the same opinion as no tracks heading to the entrance went down it. We turned round and walked back: some you win, some you lose but always keep the chance to play again.

heading back, the lifts may be busy but it’s peaceful here.

The view from my bed.
latest report
Superbowl delivers again wink
latest report
Swirly, i thought superbowl was accessed on the skier's right traverse from the col in the 1st picture?

waddever - nice pics. i am jealous sitting here in my office Confused
snow conditions
Arno, you can go down anywhere AFAIK, a big group had just gone that way with a guide so we went direct. I think skiers right is a bit steeper, certainly lower down it is, but we just go where the snow looks best wink

norris, yeah, a few more tracks this time though.

scottishskier, certainly. Shocked
snow conditions
Swirly, great pics. That powder looks good enough to snort!
snow conditions
Swirly, might not have my bearings right (and i have only been there once) but where i am thinking of would probably be the obvious bowl between the Gl du Mont Fort and the Gl du Petite Mt Fort on the map above. you do the bootpack which I guess is under the "O" of Fort in Mont Fort then traverse skier's right

parlor will be along in a minute to tell me that i can't have been paying attention and we were somewhere else completely Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Up before sunrise, dawn showed it to be heavy cloud with some light snow in Nendaz. The kind of day you might roll over and go back to sleep but not today; today we had a plan. First bus to Siviez and up to the Col De Gentianes where we met bobinch and his friend Joel. Our plan was a descent from the summit of Mt Fort followed by a short skin to allow us to descend to Fionnay, a small town up the valley from Le Chable where a car had been dumped (massive thanks to RPF for aiding this).

The team:

bobinch

Joel

gorilla

Up to starting the climb it was bloody freezing hence down jackets supplemented touring clothes. Our initial decent was the south face of Mt Fort, visible in the above pictures, we took a line almost direct from the lift station.

The route ahead. Well not quite, what you can see directly ahead is the route to the Col de Sovereu a climb taken on day 1 of the Verbier-Zermatt haute route with the backside of the Rosablanche on the left of the photo. Our route took the valley downwards to the right.

gorilla makes a mark.

bobinch in the powder while Joel waits.

Happy people.

Joel’s turn.

So far we’d laid claim to this.

Yet this still awaited conquering.

The cloud lower down was still creating snow below 2000m and we headed towards it, there was still a lot of fun to be had before the mist enveloped us.

bobinch spotted a line through the rocks and laid claim.

And this guy flew past, can you say bluebird?

gorilla well below the col and still in good snow.

Joel slaying it.

The exit couloir took us out through the cloud and the reservoir provided the interesting objective hazard of a fall on the final pitch leading to drowning! Not a risk often associated with skiing I guess.

The route (orange down, blue up).

More photos from bobinch here.

Edit to add route picture.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 14-02-10 19:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Some photos from today, plenty of snow about if you look in the right places, and this is almost always the right place.

cold smoke

Aspen Ski School: still the best wink

Another fantastic day in the 4 vallees.
snow report
Amazing photos. Thanks for sharing Very Happy
ski holidays
Swirly, I love those Kuros even more after todays abomination!
ski holidays
So yesterday we went to Pralong via the Glacier du Prafleuri a good way to avoid the half term crowds.

To save time we skied the S face of Mt Fort again, however, at this time in the morning it was refrozen chop. On a steep slope above cliffs this provided a slightly more sphincter tightening start to the day than we'd wanted. Anyway we got down and made our transistion. As we were about to start, two guys arrived having just come over the Col de la Chaux on their way to Zermatt, obviously early season Haute Route-ers, we left them behind and headed on our way. On arrival at the start of the downhill we were surprised, but happy, to find no tracks so headed on down. The snow was great, unfortunately the route is pretty flat at the start so I didn't want to stop to tale photos in case I couldn't get going again! However, I took a few further down:

gorilla surveys the way.

Looking over the Cabine du Prafleuri.

Back at our tracks.

It was a great day and we didn't see anyone from the time we left the guy's going to Zermatt until we reached Pralong at 2ish, unbelivable given the resort crowds this week. Unfortunately we then had to join them to get home across the lift system.

Route (orange down, blue up)
snow conditions
Looks like you are having another epic season ! excellent photos ! snowHead
ski holidays
been a while, time for some photos:

my quiver (l to r) liberty lightspeed 175’s not used so far this season, atomic poacher 171 splitboard, wild duck mountain 159 10 years old beginning to delam massively, HSFC Empire (2010) 164 weapon of choice, HSFC Empire (2008) 164 dead (see earlier posts) and going on the wall when I get home. On the wall while here is assorted Swiss chintz.

I had some mates out last week, their last day ended in this a bit stressful at the time but tbh f-ing cool as well.

Onto the skiing

I love this place, it never tracks out.

gorilla loves it too.

Cski wanted a photo with a black border, here she is a day later.

we told her there were gates at the top...

This month it snowed.

Today was pretty epic (in more ways than 1)

RPF absolutely shredding a couloir.

Now termed the traverse of death, follow the left to right descending ribbon, RPF is in the middle and gorilla at the end. You might think this is a mandatory no fall zone and most people would say it is. One of our group went off the start and I went off the end. While the middle was fine these sections were refrozen icy ruts where people had sidestepped through rocks. It’s a pretty scary place.

But it gets you here. Rich in the entry to Boquetin.

and coming to the end.
snow conditions
Nice photae boys - living the dream.
Thats one of the best Gele chutes - and quite airy at the top.
You can easily avoid the traverse (into Boquetin) by going under - though its a slightly longer hike.
Its a good warm up for the bannana traverse of doom Shocked

Stay safe - dont break yourself like myself and hamish managed to!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swirly, looks great! Very jealous... I was skiing with guests on hard pistes in les Houches Sad
snow report
Darn those fat skiis are close on board size... and if not gettting wider than monos!!!

Great piccies and darn, making me jealous!

Need to get out there!
latest report
Swirly, first time I've seen this thread. Great, great photos - I am soooooooo jealous!
latest report
Nice one. About time you posted some more photos. I was starting to think you'd got lost in Le feeling! So whats next? Bannana, Bec de Rosses... Wink
snow report
scottishskier, we haven't been to le Feeling. I don't think either of us could afford it right now in any case.

The traverse pic does not quite do the exposure justice. It was the combination of refrozen snow and water ice that made it hazardous. I was fairly close to joining you in the special place for people who have made amusing misjudgements. Once the adrenalin wore off I faceplanted for England all the way to Le Chaux.

I think we're heading for the backside of Mt Fort tomorrow. I want to see if we can get a Superbowl done and maybe one of the couloirs off the petit Mt Fort glacier. Will take the camera.
snow report
Hey, another great day. I've got some good pics from today but I'll have to find my camera lead first. It's here somewhere. Not a bad day again, 2 new lines for me and 2 for you too swirly. Hope you can make it out tommorow for some more new stuff and your old favourite.
latest report
gorilla wrote:
I think we're heading for the backside of Mt Fort tomorrow. I want to see if we can get a Superbowl done and maybe one of the couloirs off the petit Mt Fort glacier. Will take the camera.

Sounds like a tough day at the office Cool
latest report
bobinch wrote:,
Quote:

Sounds like a tough day at the office

I'm gonna be on time for work tomoro wink
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Nice photae boys - living the dream.
Thats one of the best Gele chutes - and quite airy at the top.
You can easily avoid the traverse (into Boquetin) by going under - though its a slightly longer hike.
Its a good warm up for the bannana traverse of doom Shocked

Stay safe - dont break yourself like myself and hamish managed to!

Haggis - were you one of the Glencoe 2?

Not knowing you at all, still I immediately thought of you when I heard the news!
snow conditions
[/img] How do you post photos swirly? I have loads of good ones.
latest report
[img]if you have the link to them in a web based album paste it between these[/img]
snow conditions
Right, I've worked it out now. Cheers guys for a great 3 days at the start of the week. Hopefully we can do it again sometime soon.

From Sunday I have no photos, but I did really enjoy the routes; Bouquitan being a real highlight.

So Monday me and swirly started with the thigh deep hike into the Mont de Cion chute. A little crusty but a great line.

And from this photo I just want to point out swirly rushing off to order lunch for us at the Cabane de Mont Fort ...

...but he skied past by accident!

Not to worry, we went on to Rock and Roll with Benjy

and Dylan

Then onto Mont Gele. This is the view from the shoulder looking out over Lac de Vaux

Ross charged down and nearly out of shot, on the front face of Gele

Benjy dropped past

And sped off to catch the next Gele lift

Swirly

That was Monday!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy