Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2009-10 Season Trip Report: Nendaz.

Poster: A snowHead
Hello and greetings from what is currently a very cloudy, yet possibly the only place in the Northern hemisphere where it isn’t snowing, Nendaz. I’ve been out here for about three weeks now so it must be time to start this winter’s trip report. As with last year expect mainly photos with a bit of writing (I don’t write that well and a picture is worth a 1000 words etc.) also forgive me for being a bit more coy about saying where things are: currently there is no official off piste guide to the area (unlike L2A) and understandably locals want it to stay that way so I won’t be giving details on how to access most things hereabouts.
Anyway, on with the show. When I first got here everything was well tracked but then they opened some more lifts so we could get in on the act.

Me under a chair.
Christmas came and went and it snowed so we were back out for the last fresh of 2009.

Scottish Skier with an interesting stance.

gorilla enjoying untracked snow.

Scottish Skier if he had wings then maybe he could fly.

Me putting the first track in a nice little gully.

Early January and it snowed again, to low levels this time as the previous snow had been rain in town, never nice but particularly unwelcome in December when it’s nuking back in the UK. gorilla had gone away for new year and returned with Sam so the three of us headed off to hit L’Eteyegon, an itinerary that ends with a bus ride back to Les Masses. We were the 2nd group up which isn’t too bad when you consider the first group turned the access lift on! We made it down for the half ten bus only to find out the first one was at 11.30, still it was worth it.

Sam

Two planes playing around above us, note this was the first bluebird day in ages.

gorilla

The next day we headed up the hill not knowing what to do, Scottish Skier only had a couple of days left and so far would have had a better winter if he’d stayed at home, at Tortin we decided to hit the backside of Mt Fort.

Scottish Skier powers into the right chimney.

Sam and me in the chimney.
We rode out to Siviez and then headed back up for another lap taking a slightly different (and steeper) route.

Me exiting the steep couloir.
Our return to Siviez was met with the setting sun highlighting the peaks the other side of Sion.

Unfortunately once off the glacier this was a very flat route out and one I’ll be on the splitboard for next time.
Speaking of which Scottish Skier and I decided to have a go at something requiring skin access. This would be the first time I’d ever skinned up anything and to make matters worse shortly after splitting the board I had to go downhill, I’m a pretty shoddy skier at the best of times but on something with a 130 mm waist, free heels and snowboard boots/bindings this was going to be interesting.

No they aren’t the tracks of two skiers behind me, just one scared split boarder doing a snowplough!

Still after that the skinning was easy despite an arduous route choice to minimise avalanche risk.

At the col switching back to downhill mode.

Now we had a massive completely untracked bowl to play with, easily enough reward for the effort

Truly getting away from it all.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Swirly, good to hear from you. enjoy the rest of the season Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice one Swirly, I should really do the same from here too Embarassed .

Quote:

yet possibly the only place in the Northern hemisphere where it isn’t snowing

Look out the window, dont worry I'm not out there Toofy Grin

Down in Le Chable it is snowing now, lightly, but big flakes so hopefully it will keep up and you'll be getting some of the same over night in Nendaz.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Swirly, some great photos there
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swirly, Nice, much prefer to seeing a load of pics like this to an essay!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Swirly, Thanks for the photos ...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swirly, Great photos and thanks as out in Nendaz with family half term week. Never been before but you are selling it well!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swirly, nice, I'm looking forward to being out there on the 24th Jan, snow forecast seems to be good! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swirly, I love your pictures. They make me jealous. B@$!@rd. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swirly, great stuff. Keep on posting your photos!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nice one Chris. I expect many an update to keep me sane at a desk!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swirly, nothing like that feeling of downhill skiing in split mode..... Embarassed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great pictures guys.

Got a free couple of weeks from early next week till half term time (early Feb).

Are there any hostel type places in Nendaz?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gryfon,
There is one in Le Chable. Its not the Nendaz Valley but the Verbier one. It is 29CHF per night. I've heard mixed reviews.
www.le-stop.ch
It is right beside the train and lifts. You could be in Nedaz pretty quickly via a few lifts and Runs.

The snow flakes I mentioned above amounted to Sweet FA it seemed to stop snowing when I pressed submit Sad .
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks RPF

Will take a look.

Just looking for somewhere basic to stay for a couple of weeks.

Not long back from Tignes over Christmas, but got the time and the urge to escape again Toofy Grin
snow report
Swirly, nice work, again.

Love that shot of scottishskier, is he trying out for the next S&R edition wink
latest report
Been pretty ill this week but made it out today to watch the world cup boardercross in Vessonaz, quite impressive to say the least.

is the womens medalists just after they'd passed by me, earlier I got to see our number one uproot the fence just by where I was stood.

Hopefully proper service will be resumed shortly.
latest report
Swirly, get well soon.... wink
latest report
Yesterday I finally met up with RPF and we hit a couple of itineries and had fun searching for some untracked snow which included the diagnoal couloir on Mt Gele. Unfortunately it was pretty overcast so no photos were taken.
Overnight it started snowing and although not much fell it was enough to fill in tracks, especially on leeward slopes. gorilla and I headed up just as it started to clear to pillage what we could.

Greppon Blanc

After a couple of warm up laps we headed off to something near L’Eteyegon, this was very wind loaded but it’s a mellow descent, never over 25 degrees so we were happy to ride it.

Heading down.

Nice work.

On the way back the local hoards had been out hitting everything in sight but there’s always something left if you don’t mind hoping between then rocks.

gorilla making a line.

All in all this was ¾ of a day that did not suck.
latest report
Nope that looks like it didn't suck Very Happy
ski holidays
Swirly, nice work indeed! Be a bit careful on L'Eteygeon. A big slide went from the top a few years back. Here's the link. http://www.welove2ski.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=102&id=133&desc=The+Skiing+-+Advanced+-+Verbier%2C+Switzerland&pageid=1688
latest report
bobinch, indeed, was speaking to some guys about that the last time we did it. Hence the staying below 30 degrees approach to the line, of course that doesn't stop people with no gear following you (as happened I just potato-shopped them out the photo).

Be careful out there kids.
ski holidays
Swirly, sounds like you're getting to know the area. I love that 3rd photo of the 2 tracks. Hopefully I'll get across to Nendaz soon. Would be good to hook up with you and Gorilla. Sounds like we have a similar outlook - it's all about the fresh tracks Very Happy
latest report
bobinch, yeah definitely, got a few lines about here that I'd certainly appreciate some local knowledge for solet us know when you're next in the area.

norris, not 100% fit yet but should be flying about by your visit.
ski holidays
Nice photos....nice area...I'm jeaulous Confused Mad
snow report
Looking good, really looking forward to our trip in a couple of weeks time, but think I will give those runs a miss Very Happy .
latest report
Today was another bluebird day, we decided to start with Stairway.

gorilla at the top of the stairs.

me sliding down the other side.

Then we moved over to Mt Gele for a couple of runs down the frontside couloirs.

dropping in

and on the apron

After a couple of laps we headed down the South face and met up with RPF, then the three of us went over to Barry’s Bowl.

RPF enjoying the powder.

me following suit.

Then to finish off we hit the Highway, finding a bit more fresh.

RPF

gorilla
ski holidays
Ah verbier - keep the pics coming boys.
We used to have a cracking powder day circuit.
Its actually possible to link up the whole 4 valleys without touching a piste wink

Basically Mt Gele to Gentianes -> then Backside Mt Fort -> then L'Ethygeon

On way back can drop directly over back of Etherolla chair - then return off piste back to Siviez, just need to get one t-bar up. Finally, for last run, ski an Attelas Chute / Vallon D'Arby or perhaps Hidden Valley (for Nendaz residents) Very Happy

Great day out - but you will sleep well after it!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swirly, Sweet. What boards has RPF got?
snow conditions
Gsyfreerider, Whitedot Preachers 189.

Swirly, Gorilla, Nice work on the pictures lads. I've take the first two steps and put batteries in my camera and started to read the manual Blush .
latest report
Swirly wrote:

RPF

RPF certainly looks like he means business in this one!
snow conditions
Today it was due to snow so we thought we’d make it short and sweet and head back to catwalk as the approach would put enough people off to ensure some fresh snow would remain. This meant another chance to take out the splitboard.

this is how you carry skis right?

Our guess wasn’t wrong and we were rewarded with plenty of fresh all the way to the lake.

gorilla waits his turn.

and skis on through.

it just kept on coming.

so we kept doing this.

Hamish, FYI we took the skiers left exit from the first bowl, it’s a much better route never below 25 degrees and pitches of up to probably 35 although these are avoidable if need be, that said I think we made the right choice for conditions at the time. It finished with a 5 minute skin up to the lake traverse but was well worth it. Also the skin up now only has one kick turn, by that cornice although the snow is pretty hard in places and it was quite rocky there making it a bit interesting.
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, getting nostalgic? Count the photos as thanks for the info. snowHead
snow report
Swirly, not sure where you were but looks awesome! Snowing down here. You got any yet?
latest report
bobinch, not yet but it's socked in quite heavily so expecting it soon.
snow conditions
Sweet. Thats more like it. Looks like a fair amount of fresh still left. Now get up the Rossablanche! Immensely jealous sitting here at a desk Mad
snow report
bobinch, I don't think we've got all that much. The precip radar suggests that the disturbance passed to the north of us. There is a solitary centimetre sitting on the balcony.

scottishskier, we've got the 1:50,000 ski tour map out right now and are evaluating our options. I don't think we're going to hit it right yet. I think we'll see what the weather brings us over the next couple of days.
snow conditions
Swirly, looking good on the spliter... really looking forward to next week Cool
snow conditions
gorilla, Verbier doesn't seem to have done that well over the last couple of weeks Sad Assuming you guys have a 4 Valleys season pass you might want to think about doing a day or 2 to Chamonix or Courmayeur. I think both are covered on your pass and they've both got more of the recent snow.
snow conditions
Well I had the pleasure of being guided around Verbier last Wednesday by Swirly and gorilla - and what a pleasure it was too! Although it hadn't snowed for over 3 weeks they claimed we still managed to find some freshies. The day went something like Superbowl, Barrys Bowl, Stairway to Heaven and then quite a few beers in the Cactus bar at Nendaz to celebrate gorillas Birthday! Quite a sore head on Thursday morning when I woke up and our big plans for a Tour were stopped by think cloud right down to Sion! Anyway, so pics from the day.
gorilla hiking up to Superbowl

Swirly takes a slash in the Superbowl

gorilla looking stylish

A grand day out in the Valais

Some untracked in Barrys

Shortly after this turn

It was game over for Swirlys board!!!!!

Many thanks guys Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy