Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another World: trip report and Resort Review

Poster: A snowHead
Resort Review:

Resort: Another World
Domain: none
Author: NBT

Date: New year's day, 2010
Our holiday: Day trip to experience lift served real snow skiing in the uk - a proper "mini-break"!
Basics : Another world is about 5 miles north of Halifax on the Keighley road, just near Ogden Water. It's about a 1 hour transfer from Manchester Wink
Lift system : 2 * britonlift portable rope tows. These are currently configured with one on the main slope, and one at the far beginner field, although they can be moved as necessary
The terrain : Not as steep as I would have liked, although great for getting the turns in. The rope tows are about 300 yards long, so you're not going to get a huge distance in. However there is a real variety and since Another World operates primarily as a mountain boarding centre in warmer months, there is a variety of jumps and a 4-cross style course with a hardcore surface that lends itself well to skiing.
The snow : We struck it lucky, with a decent base covered by an inch or two of honest to goodness fresh light fluffy powder! This held up well, with pockets of freshies being available as late as 3pm which is amazing in such a compact area. The lift paths struggled a little with the relatively heavy usage but they were refreshed through the day to stop them being run through to the grass. Andy the owner even brought out the piste basher to give a better surface in the beginner field when it was requested!
Off-piste : There is tree skiing available, although Andy the owner freely points out that the trees are now so big they hold the snow a little too well so you may find the cover patchy! There is the opportunity for free skiing within the ski domain
The resort : The farm is easily accessible as the main road on our visit was prefectly clear, with the 200 yard access road bing snow covered but driveable without snow chains
Food : Andy does a wonderful hot chocolate and other hot drinks. You can also buy bottle of pop or sweets such as Mars and double deckers. For anything more filling you would be recommended to bring a packed lunch, as we did Smile
Accommodation : n/a, day trip.
Costs: £10 for a day's skiing is almost half the price of even the dry slope, never mind the indoor ski places!
Conclusion: Well worth a visit if you are within striking distance and the snow cover is good. Be prepared for sore hands though as grasping the rope tow is hard work after a while!

Trip Report:

So, we'd been desperate to ski the snow since before Christmas. However, as I was stuck in an office until Christmas Eve, we didn't get the chance, as the snow had melted by the time we'd finished the turkey risotto on boxing day. When we heard about Another world a plan was hatched

We got up fairly early for the holidays, being out of bed before 8am and breakfast eaten before 9. We called to check conditions and got the answerphone, but Andy the owner was following our thread on Snowheads and popped up to give us an on the spot report that gave us the green light to go! Skis and boots in the car, packed lunch, ski gear, off we went

We were a little sceptical on the journey over - although a few flakes were falling as we left home (to the point of skidding the car at one point!), the prevailing scene was one of greenery rather than snow. As we climbed the M62 into the Pennines though, things changed

And as we reached Another World, things got better

Traffic is obviously a problem, don't want people losing control and mowing down pedestrians!

The "compact" resort base

and a better look at the facilities and patrons

It was cold when we arrived - -2 centigrade according to the car thermometer. Wind was pretty nippy, so we got ourselves well kitted out

Getting the lift up

And getting in the first turns!

and moving over to the unpisted section to get some fresh tracks

The lift facilities are state of the art!

and the scenery is just great

Before leaving, there was one line I'd been eyeing that I just had to ride. Given that I may not ski again this season, I decide to chance the risk of injury and go for the Ogden Cliff drop. Warning, this video may not be suitable for the faint-hearted. You should not attempt stunts beyond your capabilities unless you are a trained professional, an idiot, drunk, or all 3.

Overall, we had a great day and if time / conditions and money permit, we shall certainly return. I have just finished the traditional post-skiing meal of beans on toast washed down with a pint of Marston's Pedigree. Burp.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excellent!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, great stuff.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Brilliant post --- and pictures. Thanks!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And here's a link to my pics. Although there is no evidence, and some may therefore not believe it wink, I skied the "switchback" rollers that can be seen in a couple of pics and at the end of nbt's video!

Huge fun - can't wait to go back, but I fear the diary may not oblige me with a suitable free day rolling eyes

BTW - am glad I took my own skis as those for hire are a bit thinner & straighter than I am accustomed to snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm kicking myself that I couldn't get a pass out today. How would you rate it compared to Castleford in terms of length of slope? It looks a lot wider.

And a secondary question - how tame was the rope tow, would my 8 yr old cope OK with it do you think .. she copes with pomas OK

Do you think to snow will hold out to Sunday?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stevew, FAR FAR better than Castleford! Not so steep, but tons wider than Cas with a choice of 3 different linked areas, and probably similar length slopes.

The two rope tows were being managed fine by a couple of quite young girls - am sure the 8 year old would be fine. The weather forecast suggests it will hold perhaps for another week or so. Ring Andy before setting out though. His number is on their website http://www.mountainboarding.co.uk/ski/index.htm
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Butterfly, brilliant! Let's all hope the climate continues to change for the better and we can get some proper full time ski resorts set up in the UK!

No more Tartiflette! No more Franglais! No more Airports! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Excellent, I want a ropw tow!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nbt, Butterfly, Good stuff - They could have done with a few more paying customers by the look of it. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, it was quiet (but we weren't complaining!) but yes, they could do with more customers. Apparently a few of those there had found out about it through Google, which had pointed them to the SH thread.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If I was within 100 miles, I'd be there tomorrow. This guy deserves alot of business, what a fantastic set up!! Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great pictures from both, and nice to see evidence of an English ski resort! Though living down south myself this one doesn't come on my radar so its still just the trips abroad as an option for me Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just wondering if our Coastguard cliff winch could double up as a rope tow Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnboy, wouldn't the slope down the cliff be a tad steep? Laughing Hasn't the flying club got access to a glider launch? That could do the job, if maybe a bit enthusiastically Twisted Evil.

BTW It's only 13 miles from Yeadon (Leeds/Bradford) - couldn't you take a little flight ....?
snow conditions
nbt, Butterfly, that is fantastic! I will be paying a visit!
snow report
We had a cracking day! Not skiied castleford, but the slope is only about half the length of the Chill Factor-e slope. Things did get busier as the day went on, we had a quick count on fingers and toes and by our reckoning around 25 to 30 people came and went before while we were there (11.45 till 3.45, roughly). Andy did say that one of his major problems was getting people to believe that they were open for skiing, as believe me there wasn't much snow in halifax!
snow report
Inspirational! Going green

193 miles 3 hours 28 mins hmmm...
ski holidays
nbt,

Could he not try a few slots on local radio?
ski holidays
johnboy, he has been trying to get in touch with local media to see if they'll do interviews but I think paid advertising might be a stretch too far. Still, he's a registered snowhead now, he might read this and take inspiration....
latest report
Looks like a great little place. Have any of you guys skied in the north pennines or the lake district before? There are quote a few club fields up there. Raise (lakes) probably has the skiing with the best gradient and is the highest being off to one side of Helvellyn, but it is a bit of a walk to get to (about 1 hour uphill). Yad Moss in the pennines has less of a gradient (mainly green/blue), but the poma is a 3 minute walk from the road. Have had many great days skiing at both places and they have an atmosphere which is nothing like a normal commercial large scale ski resort.

http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/snowreport.php

http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/

Both have webcams so you can check out what the snow level is like.
ski holidays
skir67, not been to either of those places - would love to but both are a fair way and I hate driving, so when we found this place closer to home I couldn't pass up the chance
snow report
Yeah the drive isn't the best (about 2hrs plus for me to the lakes a bit more to the north pennines) but they are worth a visit and conditions look great at the mo. I'm only holding off as I'm hoping to get to scotland for a day or two next week. Yad Moss you can just pay for a day pass (£10 I think maybe 12?). Raise is a bit different as owing to their insurance companys insistence anyone skiing there has to be a member. So you join and buy a day pass, its still cheaper than a couple of hours in your local fridge though.

Raise I like the best as because you have to walk to the members hut and ski tow, its never that busy, everyone is very friendly and the place kind of feels what I imagine the early days of skiing were like where you had to walk up for each run then ski down. I've only ever been able to ski down as far as the top of the old mine chimney when descending back to the car park before, though at the moment they must be able to nearly get back to the car park with some careful route finding.

Also the descent to Red Tarn off the flank of Helvellyn must be a goer at the moment (its respectably steep).
snow report
skir67, They're too far for me for a day trip. This was 1.5hrs so easily do-able.
latest report
Looks fantastic. Great pictures. snowHead
snow report
skir67, My pals went ski touring on Helvellyn on Sunday just gone, the photos look great

Quote:
The final descent was amazing - light, cold snow for about a 3000m long (not vertical!) descent as the sun was setting.

I was a tad jealous, but now I've got my ski fix Smile
ski holidays
Yeah, need to get back up there, the skiing makes the drive worth it for me. But Scotland (hopefully) first.
snow report
Snowing up here (other side of the hill to Another World) today so he should have some fresh powder too Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CURSES!!

Just back from a new year trip and find I've missed a play out in my own backyard Sad

If anyones thinking about it - I'm pretty sure you could find powder there today; it's been coming down in buckets.

It's a bit embarrasing that I used to live about two miles away and I've never been. In fairness we did used to buy our christmas trees there though.

I think it would be graet to get up there with the kids. I may nip up tomorrow if this weather holds out.
latest report
nbt, nice report - sounds like a fun place..
snow conditions
Come and get it. Conditions here at Another World don't get much better than this. 2" off fressh powdery snow and overnight temps of -6, blue sky, even got an award winning chef from our local hostelry coming to show us how to make hot chocolate.nbt,
snow conditions
Super!! I'll just chow on some brekkie and I'll be on my way!
snow report
Ummmm... 4hrs 56mins Mad That may just be a tad too far Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Michelle, only 23 miles for me! Never knew it existed!
latest report
magic_hat, have a lovely day!
snow report
Michelle, 4hr 56? Have you got a lead foot, or are you planning to get the pilot to drop you at 20,000ft and parachute down?

magic_hat, have a good day - let's hear your feedback on your return

andy smith, If you want to use any of those photos please feel free, let me know if you want bigger versions but what's up there should be fine for a website
ski holidays
After having decided to go in the afternoon, whilst having my morning cycle this morning decided on a change of plan (it was b.freezing and a little to icy for my liking). So a quick change, shower and grab all the gear, me and Hannah set off at just gone 10:20. 30 minutes later we're there, it's sunny and lots of snow compared to home.

We hired ski's for Hannah for 2 hours, but that was plenty time and well before it started getting busy. Overall snow conditions were very good, still a few little bits of powder but in general nice grippy snow. Hannah loved all the jumps and rollers after getting the hang of the rope tows. Runs aren't long but was a lot more satisfying than Castleford especially in the sun and with great views. Plenty of lines to take and lots of good humored folk around.

I tried the woods run to the right of the main tow once after seeing some people do it however it was a little interesting with deep snow on long grass and I got caught in a bunch of grass that took a while to extricate myself from!

We sat down for our lunch in the sun before going and briefly met magic_hat who seemed to be having a good time and seemed happy to chat with Hannah for a while (thanks) whilst I sorted all our gear out.

Would I go back .. absolutely with good snow enough to keep most happy for a day, thanks Andy and your team!
snow report
nbt wrote:
Michelle, 4hr 56? Have you got a lead foot, or are you planning to get the pilot to drop you at 20,000ft and parachute down?

That's wot google maps said Toofy Grin
snow conditions
nbt,

Sounds like you have uncovered a real gem here Very Happy
snow report
johnboy, looks like andy smith might be smiling today, I know a couple of folks from Singletrackworld have been over, as have friends who saw my facebook post - I should charge home for my PR services!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy