Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brecon Beacons Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Yoda, i bailed on saturday - glad I did!!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tuesday 12 January 2010

Blowing a gale here in Aberdare at 10ish.

No snow yet, but the orangey / grey hue that signals its imminent arrival is all around me snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mike Pow, About 20 miles south of you and the forcast of snow has been pushed out to later today with either rain or sleet first (though it can snow in Aberdare in Summer so who knows what you guys will get) wink Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like its getting very near to you on the radar
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
norris, we met two tourers coming back from the summit. I asked if they were Eagles (as I knew an aerie was around somewhere) but they said "No, just mad". Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike Pow, Started snowing about 20 miles south of you Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just started here snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike Pow, Jez Shocked Shocked This is only supposed to be the lgiht snow before teh heavy snow arrives later Shocked Shocked . Its sticking like mad here.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hi, im thinking of coming over to board from storey either tommorow around 11 a.m or thursday i can get there for 9 a.m.... judging by weather / visibil etc .. im thiking thursday better..?? would one agree Puzzled Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thefatcontroller wrote:
Mike Pow, Jez Shocked Shocked This is only supposed to be the lgiht snow before teh heavy snow arrives later Shocked Shocked . Its sticking like mad here.

Same here snowHead

Thursday is looking better by the minute Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:

Same here snowHead

Its absolutely still chucking it down here. We've had a good 10cm minimum and it still falling Shocked Madeye-Smiley Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike Pow wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:

Same here snowHead

Its absolutely still chucking it down here. We've had a good 10cm minimum and it still falling Shocked Madeye-Smiley Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Didn't want to start a new thread seeing as this one's going along nicely and there's some great info and pics on here already.

Please excuse me while I play catch up. Hopefully it will all be in sync by the time I get out again.

TR: Wales - Between a Rock and a Soft Place

"The Brecon Beacons is a Park of consistent character. Imagine, if you can, wave after wave of open mountainside, rising and dipping fluidly across the landscape like some giant, petrified green sea.

Although a mountainous area, these highlands have little in common with their northern counterpart in the Snowdonia National Park, where a lucky dip landscape of boulder-strewn slopes, jagged pinnacles, boggy moors and wooded valleys changes by the mile.

In comparison, the Beacons are reassuringly uncomplicated and homogenous. In topographical terms, this is a Park of few surprises, of highland pure and simple. There is a fundamental simplicity and solidity about the Beacons, qualities underlined by the wide, open spaces and big skies that are such a feature of this part of Wales.

The uniformity displayed by the Brecon Beacons derives from the nature of the underlying rock, Old Red Sandstone, which divides the ancient rocks of central Wales from the south Wales coalfield.

Old Red Sandstone is a sedimentary rock which has weathered to create the smooth, rounded profiles, enlivened by ice-sculpted ridges and escarpments, which characterise much of the Brecon Beacons.

Haughty alpinists may scoff at the moderate height of these mountains. They do so at their peril. The Beacons have a formidable reputation for rewarding complacency by biting back. Gradual, deceptively gentle slopes lead to knife-edge escarpments which plunge suddenly and steeply.

The mountainsides are treeless, affording scant protection from the chilling wind and few reference points for those not handy with a compass. And when mists and rain descend - as they often do - it is all too easy to become disorientated and hypothermic, as demonstrated by the number of victims which the Brecon Beacons continue to claim and the frequency with which the mountain rescue teams are called out.

It is wise not to underestimate the challenges posed by the SAS' favourite training ground."

Roger Thomas
Brecon Beacons : The Official National Park Guide

I first skied in The Brecon Beacons National Park in the spring of 1998, after returning from a 10-day holiday to Stranda, Norway.

An unexpected late March dump had blanketed the slopes around the four main peaks of the Beacons - Corn Du (873m), Pen-y-Fan (886m), Cribyn (795m) and Fan-y-Big (719m) offering exciting and challenging turns.

I was able to ski the NW face of Fan-y-Big but the crown jewels of Corn Du, Pen-y-Fan and Cribyn's steeper slopes eluded me.

We also got enough snow in my town of Aberdare that spring to make turns on the hills above my home. One memorable morning was spent skiing through the opencast mining machinery and slag heaps of Tower Colliery, much to the amazement of the crane drivers.

2004 / 05
Five years ago I juggled 'mannying' for a family of 3 children here in Aberdare with instructing during the UK school holidays in the Dolomites of Italy. I would head up to the Brecon Beacons at every opportunity, and managed to get 18 days in that winter.

I kept this thread going, but unfortunately the pics are not showing up.

Powder in The Brecon Beacons

The steeper slopes of Corn Du, Pen-y-Fan and Cribyn still eluded me, and to my knowledge the NW face of Cribyn and the NE face of Pen-y-Fan are yet to be skied.

This shot was taken from Cribyn looking back to the NE face of Pen-y-Fan

and looking down the NE face of Pen-y-Fan from the summit plateau

2009/10
I was due to spend my fourth winter on the island of Hokkaido when I got the call at the start of September to head home to look after both my parents.

As I was going to be here indefinitely I brought all my gear home with me in the hope of making turns on the hills above my home and in the Beacons.

Sunday 08 November 2009

First trip over the Beacons just to clear the cobwebs, work on the fitness and take some autumn scenics.

Cefn Crew

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Monday 09 November 2009

Back up for more, this time to the top for sunset. The weather changes dramatically in the Beacons. These shots taken about 30 mins apart.

Looking into the Cwm Llwch glacial cirque from the summit of Corn Du

And this time after the mist had cleared. The peak to the right is Pen-y-Fan, and the slopes below it offer some of the most consistent turns in the Beacons.

Cefn Crew from the summit of Corn Du

The clouds rolled in once again and I walked out in a real pea souper.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Friday 27 November 2009

First snow in the Beacons Smile

Cribyn and the Cwm Sere glacial cirque from the summit of Pen-y-Fan

snow conditions
Monday 30 November 2009

Since the first snow had fallen on the Beacons I'd followed the weather forecast on the Met Office site religiously, tuned into Derek Brockway on Wales Today and Radio Wales, and received numerous calls from my Aunty Val updating me on the snow status on Fan Fawr. Fan Fawr is the peak on the other side of the A470 road from Pen-y-Fan, which she can see from her bedroom window. If there's snow on Fan Fawr, then there's normally double on Pen-y-Fan.

Met Office Weather Forecast for the Brecon Beacons

Derek's Blog

So I drove over in the afternoon to chance my arm.

As I was heading up for some sunset shots and turns I received plenty of gentle ribbing from the walkers that were making their way down off the mountain.

It wouldn't be the first time I'd hiked up something with my skis on my back only to hike back down, thank you Yotei Wink

The walk from the 'Toliets' car park to Bwlch Duwynt (the notch between Corn Du and Cefn Crew) takes around 45 mins fully laden, with a further 15 mins to the summit of Pen-y-Fan.

There'd been a pretty good fall of snow and I was loving the light, the views, the clash between autumn and winter, and the thought of actually making turns.

Llyn Cwm Llwch from the summit of Corn Du

The slopes below Pen-y-Fan filling in nicely, with the town of Brecon in the distance

Pen-y-Fan from the summit of Corn Du

Rhiw yr Ysgyfarnog and Corn Du

Corn Du and Llyn Cwm Llwch

And then it was time to make the first turns of the season Smile

Cefn Crew from the summit of Corn Du. I skied below the rocks in the foreground and then traversed over to the slope top left. Hiked to the top of the ridge and dropped in. 5 to 10cm of frozen granules. Fast and furious. Fabulous.

Corn Du from below Cefn Crew

The goods Wink

snow conditions
more more - we want more!!! dont leave us in suspense Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Mike Pow, Wow!
snow conditions
i suggest Mike Pow may already be on his way out for s ski, big dump here (Swansea) over night, biggest so far this year Very Happy now I am really going to get up and down all those hills in my car to head in to the city center ? Shocked

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 13-01-10 9:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
rayscoops, Very heavy wasn't it, gave up walking near the house this morning the snow was so deep Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
Thanks all.

Tuesday 01 December to Monday 21 December 2009

Commitments at home and the return of the normal precipitation for this part of Wales kept me from the Beacons for the first three weeks of December.

But I did manage to catch a few sunrises from the top of the Graig in Aberdare and up Dare Valley Country Park.

Sunrise over Mountain Ash

Looking over Cwmdare and on to Fan Fawr in the Beacons

The top lake at sunrise, Dare Valley Country Park

And then on Monday 21 December the heavens opened and we got our first snow of the winter in the garden Smile

Looking out to Merthyr mountain

snow conditions
Mike Pow, spectacular ophotos mate
ski holidays
fantastic!

Can't wait for the rest. Hope you got one of Swansea Bay glistening
ski holidays
Amazing photos - thanks Mike Pow snowHead
snow conditions
Fair play...you can take a good photo!!
ski holidays
Thanks all.

Thursday 24 December 2009

The snow continued off and on, more off than on if truth be told, through to Christmas Eve. But the temperatures had plummeted, so what had fallen was hanging around.

The run up to Christmas had been a pretty difficult one, so the opportunity to escape for a couple of hours was most welcome.

The previous days' snow had transformed the Beacons with almost top to bottom coverage.

The mists were rolling in and out and Brecon was hidden beneath the clouds. It was fabulous to be out in the wide open spaces again.

Cwm Sere glacial cirque from the summit of Pen-y-Fan

Cwm Llwch glacial cirque from the summit of Pen-y-Fan

Skied one packed powder run into the Cwm Llwch cirque below Pen-y-Fan and when I got back up on top I met a guy who was spending the night on Pen-y-Fan under canvas. Lucky Fitzwilliam.

Lucky because he was going to wake up on Christmas Day on 'top of the world', and because the last time I'd spent the night under canvas in the Park I woke to find that the snow had disappeared overnight in the drizzle and I had to walk 10 miles in my ski boots to get back to civilisation.

This snow wasn't going anywhere Smile

Corn Du and the Cwm Llwch glacial cirque

Sunset over The Black Mountain

Skied back around to Cefn Crew and made some fast turns on crunchy snow a good way down to the car park. Had to walk the last 500m or so.
snow conditions
Thursday 31 December 2009

Christmas came and went and the rain returned to the Valleys washing all the goodness away Sad

Went up this afternon and skied from the top of Corn Du half way back to the car park. Then hiked back up to the Cefn Crew ridge line and skied to within about 500m of the river.

Bolierplate, dust on crust, dry packed powder on a solid base, breakable crust and frozen tussocks. It was FAST.

The snow wasn't as good as the pre-Christmas falls, but more extensive.

But no visibility, hence no pics.
latest report
Mike Pow, thanks mate, I've never seen my home looking quite so wonderful. Top photos! Looking forward to the next lot. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow, Can't wait for the next installment. Very Happy
snow report
Thanks guys.

NEWSFLASH

Today was all time.

Beg, steal or borrow time off tomorrow and get out there before the thaw and the throng trash it.

Will continue the installments anon Smile
snow conditions
damm - i saw on the webcam it looked sunny.....forecast was was low cloud all day.
ski holidays
indeed today was awesome!! i left reading at 7.30 and was there by 9.15, it was beautiful! perfect weather and snow. climbed corn du from storey and did one quick drop down there, took couple of pics of some others doing the same :-

then dropped down along side getting little drop off corn du towards pen y fan

then from pen y fan i did a nice little gullie off north side just down from summit on mikes pic its entrance is abour 45degree down to right from writing corn du... great 4/5 feet drop in , steep n deep then long hard hike back to summit pen y fan up route marked warm up run on mikes pic..then down n back up corn du then corn du down to car park...prob one of the best 4 hours hiking /boarding ever done! back in reading for 4pm...seems like been on holiday! :0)

the drop in:-

half way down

looking back up from bottom having just done it

latest report
some other pics from day:-

snow report
Just missed you. Saw you walking back up. Thanks for putting the bootpack in. Made my life a lot easier.

That was a great line.

Did you hit anything?
ski holidays
couple of little scrapes on rocks but some nice drops and then on run out some nice little gully hops/lips.. Smile it was some work getting those boots in , very glad i brought my ice axe, was using it all the way up...just holding head in my hand and using the saw and the spiky handle to give purchase to pull up! was awesome day tho... on par with any day ive had in europe, nz,etc.. and better as 2 hours from home!... home this global cooling keeps up!
ski holidays
Excellent.

Sent you a PM
ski holidays
cheers! all replied too... bath now then got to play 5 a side in couple of hours....think ill not be running around too much!
snow conditions
OMG - seething with jealousy.......
ski holidays
sninhosa you lucky guy Going green - fantastic pics & superb weather, considering how grey &miserable it was here in Brizzle.

Mike Pow at the risk of being a bit boring Toofy Grin what camera/lens are you using for the panoramic shots in your reports : very professional
ski holidays
geoffers wrote:
Mike Pow at the risk of being a bit boring Toofy Grin what camera/lens are you using for the panoramic shots in your reports : very professional

Canon 7D with a 28-135mm kit lens

All the 'landscape' panorama shots are shot 'portrait' and stitched together in Photoshop. At least 4 shots, sometimes as many as 12.

The 'portrait' panorama shots are shot 'landscape' then as above.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy