Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time to offer my boot services...

Poster: A snowHead
OK, guys there's a few questions on here from people interested in buying boots.
What I'd like to do is offer my services (not as an expert, but as someone with a bit of knowledge).
If you're looking at getting new boots, or want to check that yours are set up well, let me know.
If I can, I'll try to help. About 10 mins of examination, can make a lot of difference.

PM me, or post if you'd like to know more.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
WTFH, Can you give me your thoughts or advice as I am looking at new boots.

Normal shoe size 3-4 depending on style and make. My foot/ankle are very narrow. My ski boots are size 4 with footbeds in the at the moment. I tried Technica Rival x7 last week still felt too big with footbeds and an extra insole in them (I didnt think it was good having two insoles in new boots). The only boot that I have seen mention a narrow fitting was Head FR9.5 Cross Heat Fit Lady. What is an adjustable rear spoiler? This is in the boot discription (I thought that was the thing sticking out the back of my car!). It is classified for advanced to expert, I would put myself as a 6 (S&R grading) prefer a bit of style/control to maximum speed. I plan to ski quite a bit from Dec-April inclusive next season so hope to improve further.
Have you any thoughts on this, or do you know of any other boots recomended for little feet? Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have similar problems Lindsay, Rossignol always seem to fit, and I've been told Lange are good for narrower feet.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Helen, I will try to have a look at those makes.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
WTFH - nice offer...
In order to potentially take you up on it... where are you based? thats a very cryptic location you have - am assuming its an IP address?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mountain mad, yeah, that's the IP of my router/firewall thing at home.
I'm in Burton On Trent (near Derby) through the week, and not far from Aylesbury (or Milton Keynes) at the weekends. (apart from next weekend, when I shall be in Austria)

Lindsay, yes Rossignol boots would be a good option for narrow feet, but, given your foot size, you may be better to look at junior boots - I know of several ladies with smaller feet who use junior boots, just as good as adult ones, but smaller, and less expensive.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not local to me - but if I happen to meet you on a snowheads 'meet at milton keynes - may ask you to take a look at my set up!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
no problem
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tell you what would be useful - an explanation (with diagrams) of what boot fitters do to ski boots (shell punches, inserts, footbeds etc) for the layman. Anybody got a link to something like this?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, if you can get me an old ski boot and a saw, I could do a few cutaway diagrams...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For those of you with boot fitting problems I did a webpage with some info that may help ( at least on the fitting side) go and have a look at
Ski Boot Fitting
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
D G Orf, very helpful. BTW how tight should we be buckling up, or is that just a personal thing?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marc gledhill, based on DG's photo, the only buckles that matter are 2 & 3.
The toe buckle should be done up, but not tight, likewise the calf buckle should be tight enough to hold you in place, but not to clamp you in.
buckles 2 & 3 hold your heel in place, so they are the important ones, but what I would emphasise is: do not do them up too tight, cause this will give you cold feet.

One thing that will help: Put the power strap UNDER the shell, i.e. around the liner. You'll find that most boots allow you to do this by having cutaways in the shell. This will help you stay snugly fitted in the liner.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, Who are you? HWy do you know all my secrets? BV hot tubs and power strap wihtin the boot?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Now, the power strap idea didn't come from you, and I think I may have been in the hot tub before you...
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
mountain mad, yeah, that's the IP of my router/firewall thing at home.

Of course, it's the inside of the router, so it has the same address as almost every home router on the planet! (That's the default address of most of the Linksys and other small routers.) Wink
ski holidays
ssh, yeah, including Dlink.
Do you *really* think I'd give out my real IP Address with the bunch of psychotic misfits that hang around here? snowHead
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Do you think we care? Do you think we've got nothing better to do than pester you?

Or does this prove that I am not a psychotic misfit?
ski holidays
Laughing Twisted Evil

None of us could do anything with your real IP address, could we, WTFH? rolling eyes Wink
latest report
maggi, have you anything better to do?
snow report
ssh, if you think you can't, then you're probably right. Wink
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Yes, checking snow reports, buying stuff, and generally getting ready for La Plagne on Saturday. Woohoo Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
maggi, please let us know what you thought of it when you get back.

I love a good fret before I go anywhere!

Enjoy. Smile

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 8-03-04 18:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Interesting about overtightening buckle and boot deformity. I have had to move the buckles on my 16 week old Salomon performas due to lining pack, and although they are still comfortable the buckles are getting close to the middle of the ladder. I found that they are more forgiving of my sloppy powder technique but don't give as crisp a feel on piste. Nice warm feet still though. Sounds like I should be making an investment before next winter?

Not sure about the psychotic misfit slur though WTFH!
snow report
Chris Bish, I will let you know. When are you going?
ski holidays
I had a great boot fitting experience in St Anton last week - tried loads of pairs in the shop on the first day, eventually finding one with a narrow enough heel; shop let me have them on approval; every night took them back for adjustments and blowing out; by the last day I had a perfect fitting pair of boots and the boot fitter had a sale. Very Happy He was priding himeself on being able to get them to fit, and if he hadn't succeded I wouldn't have had to pay a penny. Is this common?

Can't believe how much easier it is to ski when your heel and ankle aren't getting thrown all over the place. Shock Very Happy

Should we have a 'Boot Fitters of the World' forum for people to recommend bootfitters in resorts and in the UK? I'm sure there are many snowheads who would find that useful. Could also include DG's excellent boot fitting instructions (which I took with me to the boot shop incidentally!)
latest report
WTFh-like Lindsay I have very small narrow feet, and currently ski in Rossignol boots, I bought a few years ago, and they are now getting a bit loose. I'm thinking about getting some new ones whan I go at Easter, end of season reductions etc. Anyone know of a good boot fitter in Serre Chevalier. ?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 9-03-04 16:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Dave Burt,
Which shop was it in St Anton?

Some other info on boot fitting .......

http://www.thebootdoctor.com/Pages/HOW.htm

http://www.bootfitters.com/

http://www.bootfitters.com/female_boots.htm

http://www.bootfitters.com/10_tips.htm

http://www.footloosesports.com/index.shtml

http://www.epicski.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000533

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 9-03-04 16:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, it was Alber, as recommended by your good self on another thread! The fitter's name was Noosi - very patient and polite, with excellent English (like all the Austrians I met come to think of it!)
ski holidays
Dave - Glad to hear it. snowHead

Alber
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy