Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do i need suncream

Poster: A snowHead
As some of you will know from my other daft questions I am a newbie. But the questions are simple. Going skiing in La Plagne 1800 on Boxing Day so do I need suncream? What is the recommended factor and brand or will Tesco's factor 30 do?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes. 30 or higher. Don't underestimate the UV at altitude when pretty much everything around you is a near-perfect reflector.

Get a good greasy chapstick for your lips as well. It's as much for the cold and wind as the sun.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, you need sun protection.
What you wear is very much up to you.
I tend not to need much more than factor 15 on my face but need to protect my lips. Good eye protection is a must.
Do you sweat like a pregnant nun? If so, get something waterproof.
Are you going to be spending a long time in goggles? If so, maybe complete sunblock for the rest of your face unless you like the 'panda eyes' look - it save having to brag about going skiing in the office, people will just know.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 22-12-09 9:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike

Yes - Personally I find Prosport works really well for me both on the mountain and on the water, but you won't find it in boots.

If you have a propensity to crisp then go for the better quality stuff, and take a small tube with you on the mountain so you can top up at lunch etc.

Enjoy the trip
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I dont need a 30 - depends on your skin type I suppose. But yes do deffo need it. I get a stick one from Boots - think its factor 25, its good to keep in your pocket as it is small. You can use it on your face and lips - it is specifically for skiing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
it's a personal thing - i don't need suncream at this time of year because the sun is relatively weak but i generally wear it anyway to maintain my youthful looks Cool

later in the season, factor 20+ liberally applied
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Like Higs pointed out though, the 'photographic negative of a domestic abuse victim' look isn't a good one.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike-H, yes you do, even on cloudy days when there's no sign of the sun, what factor you need will generally depend on your skin type. As mentioned you must also always always wear goggles or sun glasses, snow blindness is not fun.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't wear sunscreen at this time of year - but then there is never any exposed skin to put it on.

I am also very strange in that I HATE lip balm - I would rather have chapped lips
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
High altitude + very highly reflective sufrace all around = yes most definitely!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I got sunburnt on Dartmoor in Sunday, so I generally take factor 50 and reapply frequently...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote for factor 50 (and I actually would go higher if I could find any...)- preferred brand would be Piz Buin (they also do a handy stick though not in SPF50)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike-H, you don't really need it in mid-winter unless you get 6 days of cloudless skies. It'll be so cold that you won't have an inch of exposed skin.

Ski in late march and you'll burn to blisters in 3 hours but not now
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27 wrote:

Made a tactical mistake one Easter trip of putting suncream on before taking my hat off, therefore leaving my forehead completely unprotected during a long lunch on S-facing terrace at ~2000m.

Next morning I woke up stuck to the pillow.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 22-12-09 11:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks as always for the tips. I will get some suncream today. Got some lip balm stuff. Got goggles (orange tint) and some half decent sun glasses but if I am honest I make any sunglasses look stupid. I guess I have a weird head or something Puzzled

This time Sunday I will be annoying the hell out of people on the baby slopes. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

Need an early Easter for that. My better half is a teacher so our vacations are dictated by the local council.
snow conditions
Never mind late March, how about early May on the blisteringly sunny top peak at Hintertux.

My mate, who reckoned he was 'hard', looked like the singing detective after about an hour.
ski holidays
and buy enough to last the 6 days. if you have to top up it will be painful - prices for this sort of thing in resort are at least double (in £) what you'd pay in Boots, etc. I go through about 150ml of factor 30+ a week (on the slopes, not generally...).
ski holidays
Yay! A thread we all agree on! I am factor 50 gal,
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
Yay! A thread we all agree on! I am factor 50 gal,

Tesco's 'Value' sunblock, I take it?
Little Angel
latest report
Higs, how dare you? I'd never shop in Tesco, lol! Laughing Laughing
snow report
Boris wrote:
I am also very strange in that I HATE lip balm - I would rather have chapped lips

Your not strange. Me and you are normal, it's everyone else thats strange!

Although the sun is faily weak at this time of year you'll be getting a fail dose of extra rays reflected back from the snow. As said above don't forget your forehead as half an hour in the sun at lunch without a hat and you'll regret it.

I try and wear sunscreen, but at least once in a ski week I'll forget and go out without. Luckily I don't burn easily and the beard also helps.

adrian
ski holidays
Mike-H, 30 or so is what we use and works fine, just remember to keep adding it on and as others have said you get a lot of light reflected back up
snow report
Mike-H, be extra careful of your nipples
snow conditions
I tend not to bother on a cloudy day at moderate altitude near the solstice.
snow report
laundryman, with your nipples, or generally?
ski holidays
red 27, Laughing
snow report
laundryman, Someone wll be around in a bit to say you can get burnt on a cloudy day......
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27 wrote:
Mike-H, you don't really need it in mid-winter unless you get 6 days of cloudless skies. It'll be so cold that you won't have an inch of exposed skin.

And if the sun is out and the temperature is warm, you'll just have stay in the pub. Or if you really want to ski when condition is warmer than expected, pay the princely price in the resort!

In March, you'll burn to blisters in ONE hour!
ski holidays
Mike-H, Careful with the lip balm make sure it is high SPF rather than just a balm. Made that mistake myself one Easter in Cervinia and suffered from severely burnt and painful lips.
snow conditions
Snow reflects up to 90% of UV light. I've been burnt up my nostrils and down ear canals on a clear days skiing. I use a kids spf 45 with a zin c stick over the top. Apply lip balm (with SPF pro) regularly. Burn hurts and UV penetrates clouds quicker that an American rap artist does an out of town underage fan.
ski holidays
I would like to caution some on this thread who seem to think that just because the sky is cloudy, that you won't get burnt!

Its simple really - in sunlight, you can see it, and you can feel the heat of infrared radiation! So you tend to be sensible.

But please don't forget that your eyes can only see a certain spectrum wavelength of light, and what you can't see, the shorter wavelength ultraviolet spectrum, will also burn your skin. So my advice is just because you can't feel heat, nor can you see ultraviolet spectrum of radiation doesn't mean its not there, burning your skin!

If you are in the mountains or anywhere outside with skin exposed to sunlight, use suncream! Its that simple! Human skin is not meant nor made to withstand radiation and subsequent burning without damage! snowHead
snow report
psbbst, Very true... sailors, mountaineers and skiers soon learn that UV penetrates cloud faster than a Jagermeister does a certain Liverpudlians stomach lining Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Charlatanefc Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
psbbst, well said. Often it's cloudy days people get burnt the most, or think it's ok to try and ski withut eye protection, as they can't feel or see the sun's strength!
latest report
Quote:

Human skin is not meant nor made to withstand radiation and subsequent burning without damage!

Minor correction: SOME human whose skin is not meant to do those things.

Others ARE meant to do so. Wink
latest report
Mike-H wrote:
Quote:

Need an early Easter for that. My better half is a teacher so our vacations are dictated by the local council.

The worst sunburn I've ever had happened in Obergurgl on a January day in whiteout conditions! I completely forgot to put on suncream and didn't feel the frazzling going on because it was so cold Sad Sad Sad Next day my face was an enormous blister with a gap in the middle making noises like 'Owww', F*ck' and 'Graaaah'... Second degree burns sorted only by Cortisone cream.
So my advice, ALWAYS put on factor 30 suncream, and ALWAYS wear decent sunglasses (unless snow blindness is your idea of fun that is).

My good friend Ramesh, who hails from India and is of somewhat darker complexion than myself, managed to fry himself on the glacier in Hintertux once, so it's probably good for everyone to heed this advice!
snow report
psbbst, when the sun's not over the horizon and it's mostly overcast, I don't think there's much of an issue with suncream for anyone who's not got the fairest type of skin. Where I go skiing at this time year, there's one spot where the sun peaks over the crags on the horizon for about 5 minutes at 1145. It's usually absolutely freezing, so there's little exposed skin (plus, I usually have a beard!). I haven't even been slightly tanned in these circumstances. I would always wear goggles though - to keep warm and to see properly as much as anything.

But for anyone who's not aware of the factors affecting the intensity of UV radiation, the advice should obviously be "better safe than sorry".
snow report
allanm, I got burnt on a cloudy day... paying stupid amount of euros for suncream in France
snow report
Next question: does suncream go off over time? They don't have best before dates, but I heard a rumour...

I have a high factor suntan lotion for skiing which I bought in 2005 and I'm wondering if I need to update it. Unlucky for me Boots in Cambridge don't seem to think people want to buy small tubes of high factor suncream in the winter... rolling eyes Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy