Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving conditions in France ...

Poster: A snowHead
.... are not good at the moment. Drove from Paris to Moutiers yesterday. Snowing almost all the way, with heavy slush on the motorway in some areas. Snowploughs are out in force , probably saw around 50, but also contributing to traffic queues. 2nd worse road conditions I have seen in 10 years in France! Weather did not let up, journey took 50% longer than usual. Weather looked to be a factor in several accidents that I passed.

If driving through France today, take care, and allow yourself plenty of time
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did you have snow tyres Wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A40 from Geneva is relatively clear!!

But as soon as you get off the Autoroute be prepared to chain up.................... had an awesome drive down this morning..... anyone enver see a LWB Land Rover 110 Defender power slide??? Twisted Evil ................................ (even on full snow tyres!!)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski wrote:
Did you have snow tyres Wink
On my Landcruiser that I leave in the mountains, yes ..... but I wasn't in my Landcruiser Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marcellus, no but I saw a Mercedes M class on its roof yesterday. The car was on the opposite side of the autoroute, but it's luggage was strewn for a quarter of a mile down my side
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The 'best' conditions in France at the moment seem to be here in the Savoie.They have less snow than the rest of France. Off to Chambery airport shortly to met my brother, if his flight made it
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boywonder is sitting in Calais waiting for Ferry, he's been there for 5 hours, expecting ferry at midnight now. Driving conditions are terrible, 6" of snow for most of journey from Tignes, accidents everywhere. Be careful out there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Drove down yesterday, worst snow was in Kent, I guess we were driving down in front of the bad weather as saw lots of snowplough teams driving North. Had to drop the speed and take it steady a few times but on the whole not too bad. But the journey through the jacknifed arctics in Kent yesterday morning added 3 hours to the trip, got here around 4 hours later than normal.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing, French closed the A6 to all HGVs between Paris and Lyon yesterday. Police were at every service station, pulling them off the road. A good idea (unless you're an HGV driver)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I drove down to Flaine on Thursday, not to bad. Had to go to Bourg St Maurice and back last night to pick up my daughter, that was a bit more interesting. I for one think the outlay on snowtyres has been worthwhile over the years.
Spyderman, Boywonder is not alone, daughters Uni friends left Val D at about 9pm last night and 8 coachloads of them are still waiting at Calais and one coach hasn't made it yet as brokendown.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone know how the conditions are meant to be in North part of France for sunday-monday? Surely they've cleared it by now?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gsb, Thank you! Very Happy
We passed that convoy of coaches going the other way as we headed up to Aime, we wondered why so many Brit coaches were heading home at that time of night on a Friday.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We got off the tunnel last night. Long delay getting off as some cars could not make it up the ramp, two in front of us crashed. Spent three or more hours at 10mph not a plough in sight until we reached the first peage miles away, crashes and breakdowns. Dinner with friends was scrubbed as we didnt get to paris until 0230. We left late but although its min 8 there is no new snow yet and roads are dry and well salted.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gsb, Boywonder made it back to UK about an hour ago, looks like things are starting to move again.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gsb, that the Varsity trip? Hopefully it's the Tab bus that's broken down, serve them right for stealing the rugby last week!
snow report
Sideshow_Bob, No, Southampton Uni 389 of them.
latest report
Boywonder just called from Dover, he got off the ferry 2 1/2 hours ago, M20 is closed and it's total gridlock, only made it 1 mile so far.
snow report
The A40 from Geneva was absolutely fine as far as Sallanches, where I turned up, and I got back up to Les Saisies with no chains, though a good 50% were chained. I have brand new snow tyres which performed brilliantly. The news from the country as a whole, though, was bad - lots of delays (Dijon snow, Lyon, Chambery/Albertville etc etc).

I think the worst is over now though - or so they said.
snow conditions
gsb, ouch, good luck to them all getting back safely.
snow conditions
Anybody able to update me on what the motorways are like today between Lyon and Calais?
latest report
I have a bit of an update - roads between Lyon and Chambery are not good but the French are well geared up so probably only temporary.

Still interested in what it's like further North.
latest report
alti - dude, I think you'll be OK further north - there has been snow on the ground for several days, but little substantial snowfall since Wednesday, AFAIK. Most roads seem fairly clear.
ski holidays
alti - dude, unless you have no option I'd avoid the A6 down to Lyon.
latest report
I can report that the gang made Calais without too much concern apart from the Chambery Lyon bit so anybody going the other way should have an OK run down.

All they need to do now is make it thro' Kent and round the M25 . . . . .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy