Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you dump your laptop in the Tesco trolley park?

Poster: A snowHead
I don't. I lock it up safely in the car boot.

Toys'R'Us notionally bans shopping bags, and supports this with a free bag-watching service. But mountain restaurants expect you to leave your skis - as valuable as a your laptop or your Christmas shopping - unattended outside their front door. Should they provide a 'ski cloakroom' service, or let you take your skis inside?

And why don't more skis get nicked? We skiers seem to keep impressively honest company. I wouldn't give a laptop in a trolley park much chance of surviving for 20 minutes, let alone a couple of hours.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jonny Jones, some places do have lockable ski stands, I would normally carry a retractable lock when skiing in Europe.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonny, your logic's a bit faulty. Tesco don't look after either your laptop or your car. Toys R Us watch your bag presumably because they'd prefer you didn't fill it with booty.

Why on earth should a mountain restaurant accept any responsibility for your personal possessions?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I never take the chance. I always have small combination locks with me and usually lock my skis to my other half's with one lock and then lock both to the ski stand. As you say, the replacement cost for both pairs would be about £800 ( 2 pairs Scream 8S), so I simply don't consider it worth the risk. I think the opportunist thief would take other pairs that were not secured before trying to break the locks un-noticed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've never actually had any skis nicked, although I always split them up and put them in separate racks. I'm just amazed by how trusting - and trustworthy - the skiing population is compared with the rest of humanity.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, maybe I didn't choose the best examples. But have you ever been to a theatre or expensive restaurant that didn't offer to look after your coat?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonny Jones, have you ever been to Deer Valley? They get your skis out of the roof box, and carry them to the ticket window for you!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote]And why don't more skis get nicked?[/quote]
Presumably because most people up mountains have a pair with them anyway, and skiing off with more than one set would be somewhat conspicuous, as would picking a pair off a rack and then having to check/adjust the bindings to see if they were the right size before you could ski off.

Lockable ski racks are the norm in BC now - not sure about elsewhere, but it isn't much hassle to carry a retractable coil type lock around anyway, which will secure 2 or three pairs together quite easily.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I suppose I could ask a mountain restaurant to protect me from alien abduction. But seriously, all one needs to do - as Peter suggests - is to lock the precious planks to something immovable. This is not rocket science. If I leave my bike outside a restaurant I lock it to a lampost.
Wear The Fox Hat This is all very impressive, but I doubt if Deer Valley would even accept responsbility for the theft prevention of your deer - let alone your skis. Do people in Deer Valley actually ski, or is it all done by Stein Eriksen as a guest service, while the guests watch from a restaurant window?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Maybe if your laptop was dumped in the Tesco trolley park alongside 200 other laptops it might be there when you get back...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Coin lockers .....another revenue stream, coming to a mountain restaurant near you soon??
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I know of a mountain restaurant which offers a ski minding service, namely La Fruitiere in Val D'Isere. Admittedly they tried to charge us €1.5 for the privilage but we got them to look after them for free on the basis that we were about to spend rather a lot in their establishment. And the food was worth every penny.

As for skis being nicked, it does happen. There was a time when well organised gangs used to drive vans around the Tarantaise and literally scoop up 100's of skis outside bars etc. I haven't heard of this for some years so maybe they got caught or were just fed up of getting rubbish hire skis
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonny Jones, Yes Very Happy Restaurants and lift companies ought to make more effort, ski theft could be wiped out with a little effort.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SimonN, couple of threads on the increase in ski thefts recently...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=70816
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=70888
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry to be completely padantic here but it is a seriously bad idea to leave your laptop in your car boot. I have heard of a device that thieves use which scans for the electrical impulse given out by the computer's internal clock.

Some colleagues of mine were at a conference and some left their laptops in their car boots. When they came out their cars had been broken into and the laptops were gone. None of the other cars were touched.
snow conditions
Quote:
skiing off with more than one set would be somewhat conspicuous

I've often collected my wife's skis and carried them to a more convenient point on the mountain to restart skiing (no comments about being under the thumb, please!) and no-one has ever apprehended me for looking suspicious. I can even remember walking slowly and painfully across Breckenridge with 5 pairs of skis... and no-one uttered a word about my highly irregular behaviour.

Dishonest snowHeads, it's perfectly safe to help yourselves to any skis you fancy. I promise that no-one will disturb you.
ski holidays
PG, you missed out my personal favourite. Have a laugh and reaquaint yourself with the fury of snowHeads in this thread.

I've just found out the French bloke at work is a skiier.........
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy