Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens 10th - 17th April

Poster: A snowHead
PG, this is my first go at Easter ski=ing, so I'll just have to see how it goes - I must admit to likely the deep mid-winter...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ian Hopkinson, and deep winter is what you are going to get!
Snow-forecast.com is allowing non-members to see the full six day forecast today: it is forecasting a total of 47cm snow for Val Thorens by Sunday and temperatures never higher than -5C!
You'll need chains on your chains to get up the mountain.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonpim, I'm confused now - I've just bought sun block and was planning on ski=ing in my t-shirt!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ian, What d'ya mean you're confused? I thought you had organised the weather Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonpim, yeah - I'd forgotten that Embarassed I wonder what happened to that lightning bolt...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ian, possible alternative meeting place: Frog and Roastbeef pub. It is a few doors away from The Lincoln Pub (beneath the Chamois d'Or on the resort map - see Going Out on valthorens.com) and is the meeting place for SCGB Rep David Howarth 6.30-7.30pm.
Anyone else in Val Thorens on Sunday also welcome. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonpim, when are you going out to VT?

Are you suggesting we should use the SCGB rep as a 'meeting point'? That would make life easier and fix problems with identification! I've now fixed the batteries on my mobile, so that should work too.

Okay, so current plan is for the Frog and Roastbeef 6:30 sunday evening...see you soon!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ian Hopkinson, Jonpim, I'll PM a mobile number, don't know for sure how we're fixed for next week, but that trip over to 3V with the Les Arcs snowHeads should be possible with a bit of planning....

Can't make Sunday, so I'd be looking at coming over one morning early next week... either Monday or Tuesday as I'm away all day Wednesday and Thursday's a bit iffy too. Next Friday and possibly Saturday I hope to go and watch the last two days of the Flying K world champs in Les Arcs, conditions permitting...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gosh: so many Senior Snowheads in the 3Valleys: I better make sure I have the right outfit .
Ian, I train out tomorrow and should arrive for petit dejeuner on Friday.
PG, I do hope you can make it, and I trust Hannah is coming too. Rosie and Tom will be most disappointed if not.
I was going to search for all SnowHeads going to 3Vs, PM them my mobile and see what happened (ever hopeful).
PS: guy on tuxedo not me - interesting what you do find if you ask Google for "snowhead.jpg". I wonder if "Search for the Snow Leopard" has been discussed in the Films thread Confused )
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim, Ian Hopkinson, take plenty of cash to the Frog & Roastbeef, it's about 7 quid a pint in there. Make sure you have a vin chaud in the plein sud restaurant (at the top of the plein sud chair), it's the nicest in the whole of the Alps (IMHO)

snowHead snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the tips, Ski Bunny, I assume a simple G&T is equally if not more extortionate
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ian Hopkinson, I assume so, although the F&RB never struck me as a G&T drinkers place. We stayed in a chalet in Val T with a really good crowd, so tended to stay in drinking free wine & supermarket purchases & didn't get to sample many bars, so can't give you any better recommendations I'm afraid.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski Bunny, excellent place, I know it well: last year every time I got on the Plein Sud chair a blizzard would start and we would take refuge in the restaurant. We also liked the restaurant on the blue Dalles run down from Cascades. Very friendly staff and superb "chicken-in-gravy" (probably had fancy French name but that is what we called it).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonpim, our chalet was towards the bottom of the Plein Sud piste, so we always used to go home via the Plein Sud chair & stop for one last vin chaud before the last run down. It's compulsory apparently

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski Bunny, of course it is compulsory. Are you a skier or a boarder ? snowHead
latest report
Skier. This is me. I keep my ears tucked in my hat!

ski bunny
latest report
Ski Bunny, I am very worried about your safety in that outfit. A sensible winter bunny outfit looks like this . Lose the red top. There are nasty people out there.
snow report
I think I prefer this one
ski bunny 2
snow report
Ski Bunny, did you try looking at the other picture there?
Are you related?
snow conditions
Half Past midnight, and what have I been doing for the last few hours?
Puting Iron-on transfers of SnowHeads logo onto T-shirts what got today in local sports shop sale (yes, us gas-passers sure lead fascinating lives). Worked fine on White T-shirt, but decidedly "subtle" on black T-shirt. I will improve in time.
So Val-Thorensing Snowheads: If you see a bearded prat in the Frog & Roastbeef pub on Sunday around 6.30 pm wearing a white T-short with the SnowHeads logo on: that's me. snowHead . Mine's a pint (and if, as ski Bunny says, that is 7 quids: you're paying!)
snow report
Jonpim, Ian et al, It's the Les Arcs Ski Club's giant paella fête on Sunday, so we shan't make it up to VT.... all being well, next week though, hopefully Monday or Tuesday...

If not, have a great time one and all!
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
Ski Bunny, did you try looking at the other picture there?
Are you related?

I think it's Rolf Harris's love child Smile
ski holidays
Ski Bunny, I sure wouldn't want to sit next to him on an aeroplane Shocked
ski holidays
Jonpim, fantastic idea regarding t-shirts. Might have to try that one Wink
latest report
Elizabeth B, but beware: like anything there is a learning curve. Try it out first on an old t-short before ruining your latest favourite purchase (as I did last night Sad )
snow conditions
Jonpim, no, me neither. Have a great time, the Peclet webcam is looking good this morning - nice & sunny
Smile
snow report
Ian Hopkinson, haven't you set off for VT yet !! Wink
snow report
7:30am flight from Manchester to Geneva tomorrow morning!

Looks like you're getting some nice snow at the moment, hope you are using it wisely snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Plenty more to come tonight and tomorrow, so Sunday up at VT should be perfect.
ski holidays
Just had a text fron Jonpim and he is complaining that the snow wont stick together properly to make snowballs. Rotten isn't it!
latest report
He is in VT by the way!
snow report
Farewell to all Snowheads for a week as I am about to get to bed prior to heading for the snows tomorrow.
latest report
We've been meeting people from the internet, and I've (nearly) worked out how to use my mobile...which the various snowHeads found rather 'quaint'

A great pleasure to meet PG, jonpim and NickB (and their various offspring) in Val Thorens - a definite enhancement to the ski=ing experience! snowHead
snow report
Ian Hopkinson, The feeling was mutual! And what excellent conditions for the time of year. The forecasts have been a long way off the mark recently, today is no exception - overcast and snow forecast all day today in Les Arcs, awoke to clear skies, with brilliant sunshine so far. Unfortunately I'm stuck indoors trying to work (somewhat unsucessfully) while Mrs PG and kids are up on the slopes having fun Sad
snow report
Back home now after a great week in Mottaret. Thanks to Ian & Sharon for the various meets and a huge thanks to Jonpim and mini-jonpims for 3 days of great company for Sam & me.
ski holidays
Hi Ian, Sharon (Mrs H), PG, Nick and Sam, thanks for a super time in Val T.
I'm afraid I never managed to get Ian H into the Platier Half Pipe.
PG looks nothing like he posts
Don't leave your skis lying on the piste of you want them to still be there after lunch (my hired Hot Screams stolen)
Don't leave your skis on the balcony overnight if you want them to be there in the morning (Tom's Rissignols stolen)
Always take your goggles with you (right, Nick?)
Standard insurance policies don't cover injured pride caused by son beating you by 50 metres on mogul run in 3 Valleys Challenge.
Frog and Roast Beef pub excellent place, serves proper beer (not lager), good simple food, great music, and not expensive at all.
All weather forecasts are wrong.
latest report
Jonpim, ?!?!?! Twice in one holiday?! OUCH. Sounds as if there's a mini industry in stolen skis in VT. Even your irrepressible good humour must have suffered! (And dare I ask what someone who posts like me is supposed to look like ?! Shocked Wink )
ski holidays
Quote:

Frog and Roast Beef pub excellent place, serves proper beer

What do you mean by 'proper beer'? Surely not English real ale?

I agree about the music (two years ago), was it still a Swedish duo?
snow conditions
PG, you post like this , but look like more like this

Pete Horn, yes, real keg beer brewed locally poured into your glass with a proper hand pump and no fizz. They also did Boddingtons. Music was from CDs. No live band when i was there (and I was there a lot!)
latest report
Jonpim, Well one does try to liven things up a little, even if deep down this would be nearer the mark.... but don't tell anyone Wink....

Despite all the hassles, was the overall experience positive? Would you go back there again? A real bummer not being able to ski together that afternoon... next time, eh?

How was it at the ski rental place, I know you said it took an age to sort out - but were they helpful? critical? unpleasant? And I would especially be interested in the insurance side, if you can bring yourself to talk about it! No small print problems? Due care? And did the overall holiday insurance cover Tom's skis ok?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy