Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens 10th - 17th April

Poster: A snowHead
Mrs H and I will be in VT for the first time in just over a month. It seems there might be a few snowHeads around!

We trundle down red pistes cautiously but can fully appreciate beer, coffee, cake and other local delicacies...if anyone is interested in similar Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Ian. I'll be there with the Rosie and Tom. Will be others too: all ages, all abilities, all keen on eating and drinking as well as skiing.
Recently found a new site for Val Thorens: http://www.natives.co.uk/resorts/vat/.
I know O'Connel's bar: fun drinking good Guiness and watching Ireland trounce Engand.
Failed to find Frog and Roastbeef, though sounds fun.
(Just back from Courmayeur - didn't do Vallee Blanche due to bad weather, but had a great time all the same)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey, Snowheadites, I can't believe no one else is going to Val Thorens at Easter.
So time to bump this up the batting order and see who pops up this time.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I want to go! Right any ideas on where to start looking ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Somebody somewhere posted a load of links to last minute deal sites...now all I have to do is find them. I know www.iglu.com was there...and by the power of the search facility. Here you go:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=96
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
i'm there from 2-10 April - going by train so i get 8 full days...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And theres going to be good snow?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DavidS, I train out on thursday 8th, arriving friday morning (9th). I Know a few other ski-addicts who will be there (not you Ian) and I will have ex-wife (ski-fanatic) and 2 teenagers in tow. Fancy a drink in the Frog and Roastbeef?

Nadenoodlee, definitely!
(well, there will be snow - not sure what you mean by "good snow")
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim - absolutely.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We'll be arriving sometime during Saturday afternoon...not quite sure when...it is in the hands of Inghams - could be as early as 2pm but probably later!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'll be skiing in Meribel a couple of days that week, may be able to make the trip across.....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gosh! All these legendary SnowHeads in the 3 Valleys over Easter. I will have to remember to bring my autograph book. And will get Tom and Rosie into bowing and curtsying lessons immediately.
PG - I would love to meet up. Will happily come down to Meribel if you prefer. We loved the Plattières snowpark (http://www.s3v.com/snowpark/) last year. I'm sure Ian and Mrs H. would enjoy it too.
3 weeks to go....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It looks as though it'll be a 'bit warm'in the Savoie from Sunday 4th on, some suggest 0°C at around 2700m Confused

Before the rise in temperature there could be some snow on Friday 2nd, but a very optimistic 25cms has just been revised down to 15cms. Sad

www.avalanche-net.com

Let's hope they're wildly wrong about the long-term temperatures and radically revise those figures down too!

I'll be in Méribel on Sunday 4th for the slalom competition (British Children's Champs) and on Monday for the Giant Slalom.

If anyone is in the area over those two days, my (French) mobile is
06 82 83 93 43
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonpim,
Quote:

We loved the Plattières snowpark (http://www.s3v.com/snowpark/) last year. I'm sure Ian and Mrs H. would enjoy it too.

If U get Ian on the half pipe I want pictures!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
u brain, we just did the bumps, jumps and "Goodwood Turns". I don't remember there being a half-pipe at Plattieres, probalby coz I hate them. Tried the Bellcote half-pipe (La Plagne). Tom went gleefully shrieking to the top. I was convinced I was going to die as I got about a metre up on the first turn. I'm not good with heights. Never tried again.
snow report
I'm going to be in Les Arcs that week. Perhaps we should arrange a rendezvous for the latter half of the week. Meribel might be easiest for all to get to.....
ski holidays
Could be done, shouldn't be a problem running us (Chris, Austin 7 if he makes it, and anyone else who's around) over from BSM for the day in the 'people carrier'.... you'd need to have got the Paradiski Découverte 6/7 day pass including a day (any day) in 3V.....
latest report
Sounds good. If most people are in Val D maybe we should meet there. How about the Panorama restaurant at the top of La Masse? Suggestions welcomed!
snow report
Anyone in the 3V on April 12th.... how about a snowHeads team for this?! A 'fun' race, starting from each of the 3V resorts....

Three Valleys Mountain Challenge

Still, as the article states that all participants must wear helmets, back protection or a back pack, perhaps we snowHeads aren't up to the task? Wink
ski holidays
Oh merde, just read the rules... click on "Grand Challenge - Easter Monday" at http://www.les3vallees.com/uk/index.php#

Perhaps we'd better forget our back protectors! (Ok you only need one or the other, either a back protector or a well-padded backpack, but I for one do not possess a helmet Embarassed )....

However anyone taking part has to be at least ESF group III level...

In the day each member of each 3 person team has to complete the following which include all resorts, Courchevel, Méribel, Les Menuires, Val Thorens

• 3 derbys :
- Mauduit – Red run, Méribel
- Masse – Black run, Les Menuires
- Slalom stadium Courchevel
• 2 skier-cross :
- Snowpark des Platières – Méribel-Mottaret
- Snowpark – Val Thorens
• 1 flying klilometre:
Slalom stadium – Val Thorens
• 1 freeride:
Pentes de la Saulire – Courchevel Shocked Shocked

Shall we watch intead? Wink
ski holidays
PG, the rules are in French and I am only at the "bieres de ma tant est dans mon oncle" stage. But reading the registration form it does appear anyone can enter, and no mention is made of skiing ability.
Home page states " Open to all skiers - pros, amateurs, adults, kids"
You don't even have to do all the runs:
Registration form "Races are not compulsory, each team can decide according to shape (sic) and ski level, to take part in some or all the races."
So PG, get your helmet and backpack on - I'm registering today! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
from what I recall from reading the flyers, this is open to family teams - my son (Cool was very keen to enter, but his parents not so keen to be roundly humiliated - think I'll watch.
snow conditions
That's a thought! - I'll enter my daughter, and of course we wouldn't be able to take part then as we'd have to be watching from the side of the piste to give the kids moral support! Wink
ski holidays
snow forecast in VT for Friday: "A heavy fall of snow, heaviest during Fri afternoon." Hey!
snow report
Jonpim, If you look at the "Rules", it states:
"Le niveau minimum de ski requis est le niveau classe 3 ESF", which I think means what PG said
Quote:

anyone taking part has to be at least ESF group III level...
snow report
Thanks maggi, so what is ESF group III level?
latest report
DavidS, looking good - n'est pas? Just hope you can make it up the road!
latest report
Ooh. This doesn't look so good... "Very windy, closing most of the lifts. Pistes are very hard in the morning before they softened up. Off piste is wind blown on unprotected slopes."

Unfortunately the SCGB weather forecast is broken and I can only get 3 days on snowforecast - they're forecasting winds of 45mph for Friday, but decreasing after that.

I'm on the train Friday night!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonpim, pretty much summed up by the ability to turn with parallel skis in any snow conditions and on any slope......
snow report
6 day forecast on snow-forecast has winds 5-15kmph from the north over the weekend - so it sounds like it will be fine...
snow report
fantastic. looks like we've a chance of really lucking out...
ski holidays
DavidS, It's been like that for the past three days - very windy, quite warm. A lot of damage to the lower slopes by a strong dry easterly. They've forecast 2 or 3cm of snow tonight, but only above 1900 or so. Friday's forecast has radically changed - two days ago they were saying 25cm above 1600, now it's just 10cm over Friday and Saturday nights, at unpredictable altitudes. Then 0°C varying between 1600m and 2800m until next Tuesday.

In other words, very 'April'.... and they haven't really got a clue about the weather beyond two or three days in these conditions!
latest report
Yeah, but at least it is snowing on and off - and VT's pretty high...
snow report
Just had a look at the BBC's animated maps. It looks to me as if there will be a couple more days of the SE airstream and then the high gets dented a bit and the wind shifts to the North. Snow at the weekend then, assuming that is what happens. These continental highs can be rather more durable than expected.
snow report
Very jealous of you all, sounds like good fun and a chance to put a few faces to names. Wish I was there. Crying or Very sad
latest report
DavidS, Ski Club forecast fixed.
latest report
Yeah it's good to see it back again. My train leaves in almost exactly 24 hours! snowHead
snow report
Ian H and all you other Easter Val Thorennies: my daughter has just texted me from Val Thorens:
"Came back early coz it was snowing so hard and I was frozen".
Lord High Postie Master Ian H showing his new awesome powers already.
I look forward to seeing you in X Men 3....
snow report
Jonpim, yes, and I also held the rain in Manchester off just long enough to get me back to my office!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA......HA! Very Happy

I think I might be preparing some lightning for PG and his rain report Twisted Evil
snow report
Sorry Ian I was a bit premature.... staying nice and cool for U this week.... but as for the week to come if I were you I'd come prepared for anything! Changeable up to Friday, but the front is supposed to be moving across between Sat and Mon, with quite a serious dump above 1500m Sat/Sun, 1700/1800m on Monday. Val Thorens was a good choice, as well as Les Arcs, Tignes... there should be some great conditions at altitude. Could well be pretty damp in Méribel again Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy