Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jet turns

Poster: A snowHead
Interesting article here https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=z1gEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA24&lpg=PA24&dq=skiing+jet+turn&source=bl&ots=TgyKpu_IL1&sig=t_vE6OmJ99iWQJ1cT98F2yiiAQ8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=VkQRVcOXHsWYPLebgZAN&ved=0CDcQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=skiing%20jet%20turn&f=false

So not quite Killy but Vuarnet and Joubert.

I reclla desperately wonering how to master the jet turn reading The Sunday Times book. Looking back, I think I managed to a degree when I started carving.

These days you just need a little speed and a pair of sufficiently rigid slalom skis.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@under a new name,
Quote:

moguls don't need jet turns to form
Obviously not, it was just the particular shape of those in Verbier. Many people spoke about it, I didn't make it up. I hadn't heard of them - I couldn't even ski! - until I was told about them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hurtle, I suspect that the particular shape was for totally different reasons. I'm sure you aren't making it up but reasonably sure what you were being told was ski-urban myth.

I'll be delighted to be told that I'm wrong, and bumps were so much nicer in the 80s (due long skis and relative values of ski skill).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Martin Heckelman, Hello Martin. This man introducted us to carving skis, not quite sure how many years ago but quite a few! Talk about revolutionary, 20cm shorter than anything we were skiing on but held an edge much better and were rather easier to turn! Best wishes from your "old" pupils from Hastings.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi SnowHeads, To answer your question about my new e-book: it is, as the name implies, a ‘Learn to Ski’ book designed for tablets. It’s the latest multi-media project of the 'Ski Tips' series of books, dvd's and apps. What sets this e-book apart from any other ski instruction e-book or book is that it contains 82 video lessons rather than just still photos. This enables readers to see the instruction demonstrated as though they were watching their live instructor. ‘Learn To Ski’ teaches how to ski the modern way, using ‘foot-roll’ and ‘hip lean’, ‘edging’ and ‘pressure’ to carve turns. It is intended for skiers of every age and level who are looking to improve their technique, to consolidate their ski school lessons or for those who are starting out as absolute beginners. Starting with the basics of carrying and putting on skis it covers every skiing skill up to skiing the steepest runs, including how to ski moguls and ice. The eBook is divided into five Sections, each section building on the previous one, so no matter what the Reader’s level of expertise, there’s a place to dive in to pick up some new skills. The e-book is currently available on Apple’s iBook store and will play on any Apple device such as the iPad, Mac Computers or iPhones. It will shortly be available as well on the Google, Nook and Amazon platforms. Anyone wishing to obtain the eBook or download a free Sample can go to: itunes.apple.com/gb/book/isbn9780993167607. I am currently writing and filming a sequel ‘video based’ e-book that teaches how to ski powder, off-piste snow conditions and ski touring as well as a chapter about avalanche awareness. This should be available at the start of next ski season.
Thanks for your interest.
Martin Heckelman
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to revive an old thread again. I thought SHs might like to know that the above mentioned M. Heckelmen has a new ebook out ‘Powder and Off-Piste skiing’. No financial gain on my part although I’m told that if you look very carefully I and Mrs Ski Lots get a credit – fame at last! If you put – “ heckleman powder “ into a well-known search engine you will locate it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jet turns are very useful...if you can do them, particularly in wet snow...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Awesome. Back to the seventies. How many ski schools teach jet turns to kids?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@telford_mike, how many schools feel any need to?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
telford_mike wrote:
Awesome. Back to the seventies. How many ski schools teach jet turns to kids?
I'm not sure that's at all relevant.

I'm no advocate of old school (ha ha) techniques, but if you think ski schools define the sport then you're missing... pretty much everything.

Driving schools are great at teaching "kids" how to drive, but they are completely irrelevant to the limits of what motor sport drivers may achieve.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@philwig, yeah but no but

how many driving schools teach starting handle techniques?

(I have used a starting handle and know how to thank you...)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, grab it, give it a whizz and try not to get your wrist broke ?

Edit: and how many cars with starting handles were produced in the 70s Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@SnoodlesMcFlude, 4 Morris Minors later, including a shootingbrake...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@SnoodlesMcFlude, 4 Morris Minors later, including a shootingbrake...

Yep. 1976 with old moggie ex post van bought from scrap yard for chasing bears Happy Had a starting handle
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good skiers should be able to ski all techniques and not just a one trick pony.
snow conditions
@Peter S, true. But who skis wedeln these days?
snow report
Peter S wrote:
Good skiers should be able to ski all terrain and not just a one trick pony.

Fixed that for you. It's not about technique.
snow report
@telford_mike, hmmm, really good skiers can spoof all techniques, non?
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Peter S, true. But who skis wedeln these days?

Me snowHead
ski holidays
ah jet turns, that is a term I haven't heard in quite a while. When we learned to ski it was long straight skis, and our instructor showed us the jet turn. Not needed now with waisted skis,. I never had to make much use of it once I got rid of my first skis. ( well bought new ones, only got rid of them last year, I had them in the attic and couldn't believe how long and skinny they were when I took them down.)
latest report
@biddpyat, I am astonished anyone resurrected it. Somewhat meaningless, these days. If ever meaningful.
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/g26x5VHvd6M

Here you go. He's actually not very good at it ! It should be a lot smoother than this.
snow report
Lordy that's woeful - this guy is actively promoting that as a useful technique in powder or trees? Maybe if you want to collect your victim's life insurance.
snow report
That's just plain daft.

I don't think that's what the original idea was at all. He's doing some weird hop thing at the start of his turns, that's it. The turn isn't related to the hop, if you see what I mean. It's a ballet trick, not anything functional. Full disrespect intended: da man needs to take some lessons.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy