Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How steep is Triffide 1?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know a good resource that details the steepness of well known routes. And specifically does anyone know the steepness of Triffide 1 (La Grave), the top of the descent from La Grave to St Christophe, and the Electric Couloir (Les Deux Alpes)?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't recall the titles, so this isn't going to be of much help, but there are a series of ski touring books (in French) that probably do. You can get them at Le Vieux Campeur - so you can probably buy online. In fact, here's a link:

http://www.au-vieux-campeur.fr/gp/asp/sous_categories.asp?codctg=585

I only say probably as the one I'm familiar with covers all the routes I'd expect it to which include many that are now pistes.

Sorry I can't be directly useful.

Cheers,

DM
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch wrote:
I can't recall the titles, so this isn't going to be of much help, but there are a series of ski touring books (in French) that probably do. You can get them at Le Vieux Campeur - so you can probably buy online. In fact, here's a link:

http://www.au-vieux-campeur.fr/gp/asp/sous_categories.asp?codctg=585

You are possibly thinking of the Vamos guide by Ginet and Villaret. ISBN: 2-910672-03-4. Facewest in the UK can supply this for 18 quid. It doesn't give the steepness of The Grand Couloir (aka Trifide 1 - note one 'f' in Trifide, we are not talking giant man eating plants). The couloir is aroundf 40 degrees[1] and with the poorish snow of this year may be quite rocky. With advances in skis and boards the Trifide 1 gets a lot more skied these days which can make the snow difficult. Somewhere to go when the snow is good - like this morning.

Here is a link with more information about la Grave

The couloir du fil électrique or electric couloir has a section of 30 degree slope, according to the Vamos guide, this can be icy as the couloir can see a lot of sun. I've never skied it.

David

[1]This was measured from an IGN map not on the terrain so take with a bit of a pinch of salt, if you get more accurate information please post it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The top of the descent form La Grave to St Christophe is the Col de l'ours, if my memory is correct. I'm not sure that it's much over 25 deg, but can get very icy as it's south facing, and at 3,500m ish so when the sun gets to work it turns into boiler plate
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some years ago I skied it (Grand Couloir) once - on hardpack - but it would take an edge. At the time I wished I wasn't there. I was told that the steepest part was 45° . Probably the most frightening run I have done.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick Zotov,

So they don't call it La "Grave" for nothing! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof, I think that's the very one, and thanks also for pointing me in the Facewest direction. Hadn't thoughy they might stock it.

DM
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steve, surprised to hear the Col de L'ours is not much more than 25 deg, it felt a lot steeper when I skied it, but perhaps it's just the size of it that is deceptive.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy