Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiers weight/height vs ability/fitness vs ski's vs ski length

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It's a complex equation. Most skis tested are by aggressive pro's & they are also in the region of 185cms tall. I'm 170cm, 67kg's and I'm looking for some all mountain ski's. I tend to spend around 7-10 hours a week cycling so have strong legs and good fitness. Volkl Mantras get a good write up but are they too stiff, also the shortest size are a 170. Any help and guidance would be gratefully appreciated, so would a massive dump of snow just after Xmas in Flaine Wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
maccaIJ, Best is to test some skis. My all-mountains are 169 (Stokli Rotors) - I'm 60kg and 170cm. Mrs Ski (same weight, a bit taller) has 160cm Apache Recons - which are too short for me. (very) Roughly, short - good on piste, short turns, Long - more surface area, better in powder - longer turns. Soft(er) = easier grip at lower speads - hard(er) = better grip at high speeds.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You don't write about your ability and how aggressivly you ski.

Different skis each ski differently so I tend to look at the range of lengths available for a given model rather than the absolute length. Also be aware that most 'all mountain' skis have twin or semi twin tips which shortens the effective edge length and so a ski like this is often said to 'ski short'.

Read up on reviews of a ski you are interested in and note the weight, height and ability/agressiveness of the reviewer and their comments to decide.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
maccaIJ wrote:
It's a complex equation. Most skis tested are by aggressive pro's & they are also in the region of 185cms tall. I'm 170cm, 67kg's and I'm looking for some all mountain ski's. I tend to spend around 7-10 hours a week cycling so have strong legs and good fitness. Volkl Mantras get a good write up but are they too stiff, also the shortest size are a 170. Any help and guidance would be gratefully appreciated, so would a massive dump of snow just after Xmas in Flaine Wink

Yes lean and mean people like you and I don't need such stiff planks as these fatties Wink

You could try .....

"Volkl Polar Bear" (same dimensions as older Mantra but lighter / less stiff) or new "Volkl Nanuq" http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_48_315_396&products_id=7121

Head Mojo 94 is another possibility similar to the Monster series but without the metal.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maccaIJ, I am a similar height and weight and have a pair of Rossi Bandits (old B2) in my ever expanding quiver.

Had them years now and skied 'lots' of off piste on them. Great on piste too, and felt they were not as hard to work as the heavy K2 Recons and Salomon X Wings which are in the same class.

The new Rossi SC 80 is the new version with a 80mm waist, rather than the 78mm i have on mine. You would want to be looking at a ski length that is above eye level but below top of head. Seems like the 165 length would suit you... or maybe even the 170s if you can handle it.

If you do more 'off piste' then you could try the SC 86. A little less piste orientated but still pretty good.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As narc suggests, any model comes in a range of sizes which cover an appropriate range for the target skier. I suggest you identify where you fit relative to the target skier, and pick the appropriate size in the range (e.g. the longest, the 2nd shortest etc). The most important measure is the amount of force you'd typically put through the ski, which depends on all the variables in the thread title.

I almost always go for one size below the longest (I weight ~80kg and am towards the top end re fitness and aggressiveness, but ski telemark which is why I drop a size). In recent years this has given me skis between 170 and 188cm, so going on absolute length alone really doesn't help
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
maccaIJ, Maybe try the Black Crow navis.. even though it's a bit fatter it handles like a dream. Even found moguls ok with them and I'm 74kg.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have you ever seen ski pros? Some of them are tiny, better for making their hucks look more massive wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy