Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off to Val disere on the 26th any tips highlites

Poster: A snowHead
My wife and I going off next Saturday,any tips for the resort.We are good intermediates on reds and blues never been to this resort before.Tips on lunches,evening meals etc.Also any recomended runs like long cruises.Exscursions any worth doing.Been to L Plange and Larcs.Any help appreciated,thanks in advance.
vinny
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
(1) Val D ski pass cannot be bought with Tignes excluded so prepare to ski both domains as you are paying for both.

(2) Val D isn't well linked but Tignes is pretty good.

(3) The run starting at the top of Grand Motte cable car at 3456m is regarded by many as the most difficult green slope around but should be OK for intermediates.

(4) The chairlift Leissieres in Val D that does not stop at the summit is a good experience for getting scared.

(5) Espace Killy is a nice and big cruising playground, especially the blue runs. Some runs are too flat and require a bit of walking.

(6) The links between Tignes and Val D can be busy and crowded.

Lets see what others have to say.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You asked for highlights, well in my opinion Val D'Isere is one big highlight!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go and enjoy!!!!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is so long ago since I went there I can't remember much but if you love cruising blues and reds Val will suit you very well. This lift system is immense and efficient.

The only thing that I can really recall being not so good was the fact that it is over-populated by Brits.
Otherwise it is all pluses

I think one of the best eating houses was the Perdix but maybe someone more upto date will correct me
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski the blue run down to La Breviere and have lunch on the restaurant over the bridge
Grande Motte is a must for views and skiing
Le Fornet area tends to be quieter
Ski the L piste from solaise to take you back to Val
The band that play at the Folie Douche from 3pm then at Cafe Face in evenings are fabulous - live music on the pistes is great

That is for starters...........
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Aiguille Percee in Tignes is spectacular and tends not to be too busy. The long run back from the Glacier to Le Lac will be ideal for you but do it in the morning when it's not too busy. Save the Face in Val until you've got your confidence up. I don't personally rate the skinng from the Solaise in Val very highly. Better to go up the Bellevarde side!
You WILL have a fantastic time! snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jealous, jealous, jealous - Val D is a fab resort - Love the restaurant at the top of the first half of Face - La Taniere - table service a nice contrast to quite a few self service ones
shopping is great - not just ski wear. My daughter assures me that the night life is excellent - we settled for a few bars!
The free ski bus is one of the best we have found - Never need to worry where you end up coz it is regular and reliable. Oh and the skiing just goes on and on.
Have a great time
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yinkymoka, top cruises have to be the OK and Orange motorways from Bellevarde into La Daille (although IIRC they are often closed for a few hours in the morning for race training), and there's a lovely bar to stop at for a vin chaud at the end of the day just above La Daille. Another vote for the Aiguille Percee area too - a bit less long cruising but a bit more interesting - though as it's the far side of Tignes it's a bit more of a haul to get there, but a lovely expedition. The "red" bump run under the Tommeuses chair-lift is a bit of a challenge - I've been on many less difficult blacks.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yinkymoka,
If your Skiing is up to it the Face (Olympic downhill Black!) in the early part of the day; is challenging but not in my experience (limited!) impossible for confident Red run Skiier. Sense of achievement once made it down a few times is a real boost to confidence. Only do it if conditions permit i.e plenty of snow which hasn't been churned up too much by others. The run over to Tignes is fairly leisurely blues (if I remember corrrectly), theres one part which has a natural forming half pipe down the side of the piste (can someone help me out here with name/run?) I love it!!!!!!! Not a Skiier who can do tricks but bombing down this pipe going up and down the bank is wicked!!!! Little Angel

Sure you will have fantastic time.

Rgds

Rich

2 weeks to go till I'm in Ellmau snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes I remember that half pipe bit type23 but I can't remember its name either!!! It's great fun though
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yinkymoka, congratulations, Val d'Isere is one of the worlds great resorts, with truly world class skiing. A few reccomendations-

Have a crepe at the Grand Marnier bar at the end of the day, they're great. Go careful with their vin chaud though, it's got a real kick from the slug of Grand Marnier that they put in the bottom.

Try a slice of pizza from the lower of the two takaway windows in the resort, it's truly excellent, and very good value. Whilst on the subject the patisserie diagonally opposite on the roundabout is pretty special as well.

Go to Le Fornet on Monday or Tuesday, noone else will be there and it will be deserted. The restaurant half way down the blue run to base station at Le Fornet is excellent.

A really nice way to finish the day is by going down the "piste G" from the Folie Douce down to La Daille. It's a black/red, but is only really steep in one place, but the good thing is that it is normally roped off at the top, with just a small entrance below the restaurant. Most people assume that it's closed, and so it is normally pretty quiet. When you get to the bottom have a vin chaud at the Rosee Blanche.

Hope that this helps.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
isn't that half-pipe run called something like "diabolo".
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oooh yes Kramer, that patisserie is wicked!!!!!!!! We used to get up early and go and get our breakfast from there - consisting of 3 croissants, a pain au choc and one of those round brioche thingys with nuts and red sticky stuff on top!!! (EACH!!!).

Has to be one of the finest patisseries I have ever set foot in.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Their tarte au framboise was pretty special as well Inga.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
"Germain Matthis" down to Le Fornet is a good cruise, starts off relatively flat before dropping down through the trees as a red. As a whole Le Fornet is generally quiet, altho slightly dull compared to other areas.

Overall, a lot of the blues are flattish or go up & down like roller-coasters, so you have to keep your speed up, but if you are good inters that should not be a problem.

In general VDI tend to undergrade their pistes, so be prepared for the unexpected on reds (e.g. sudden drop-offs, narrowing), and (from memory) they only groom the Face black every 3rd night so best have your first run down when it is in tip-top condition.... or you could spend a lot of time sliding down on your bum!

Best bar I found was the Petit Danoise. No need for excursions, VDI has all the skiing & nightlife you need. After all these years, still the best resort I have been to. Enjoy!
latest report
Many thanks for the tips,off in the morning.Will report when I get back.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy