Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

XWave 8 extendable rear spoiler and 3D buckle - What do these do?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just been strutting Laughing round the house in my new boots and was looking at the extending rear spoiler that gives the back of the boot more height - What is this for and how does it affect your skiing?
I was also wondering how the fit of the boot would be altered if the 3D buckle was unbolted and repositioned in the rear threaded hole - Is this intended to prevent heel lift? Would putting this on the back hole help to keep my foot down without having to go mad with this buckle?
Great boots and really looking forward to sliding in them but am just wondering what adjustments may be possible if I find my boots bedding into a fit that I struggle to adjust the boots around.

RR
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rockyrobin, did you have them fitted?

I usually recommend ripping the spoilers out. The most often get the skier in an unbalanced fore/aft position (especially those with larger and/or lower calf muscles). They are intended to give more leverage if you get "back" in the boots (especially for the end of a turn to accelerate the skis). The problem is that you have to be very strong to get back to neutral from that position (this is a key reason why Bode Miller is having difficulty finishing slaloms this season!).

The 3D buckle can be useful for some. It is intended to pull the shell in a different way that may help with snugging the foot in the boot. It's easy to move, so you can try it. I'd suggest skiing on them for part of a day and then moving it. See which you prefer, and then leave it there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ssh, Thanks for the info Smile
When I bought them I had them heat fitted along with a conformable insole to give me arch support as the standard insoles were giving me cramp in the outside edge of my feet after walking around in them for 15 minutes.
After popping the new conformable insoles in they fit like a glove though I cannot use thick socks as they are such a snug fit.
They're a bit of a struggle to get on but I hope are worth it. I've been so used to skiing in sloppy hire boots and can only imagine how much better the leg to ski input should be.
I'm curious about the remving of the spoiler - currently it is in its retracted position. If I was to extend it i'm assuming I will get more bounce out of turns?
Is this a good idea with short, small radius, soft ski's?
The ski's i'm using are Atomic M9's in 157 length and with their 11m turn radius do you reckon the spoilers best left well alone? It would be interesting to see the bahaviour with these ski's and the spoiler extended but an wary of setting myself up for an accident.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rockyrobin, the spoiler, like the buckle, you can play with. Try it both ways and see. As I mentioned, I remove the spoilers in my boots and those of my friends that ask for my help (unless, unusually, they need the "boost" forward). I wouldn't worry too much about the spoiler at first; on those skis, I reckon you'll not have an issue with the spoiler either way, however, I would recommend that you work on skiing those skis without using the rear of the boots at all. You can add that in later as you want some "boost" from the tail of the ski.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ssh, thanks - i'll take it nice and steady and keep forward snowHead
Nothing like having toys on your boots that keeping telling you to play with them Laughing

Cheers,

RR
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rockyrobin, righto. Something to keep in mind: the higher level the boot, the fewer bells-and-whistles it has. Mine have none other than a spoiler (which I took out).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ssh, Thanks for the bootie info. I'll take that as implying my booties as being bang in the middle intermediate.
Thats good as the shop sold them as such so at least they were honest.

Cheers for your help Smile

Now time to go read through the technique forum and see if I can get any tips from there to bring me up to date being a former 80's skidder Embarassed

Warm regards,

RR
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rockyrobin, you should find a lot in there (look for the carving threads). You'll have fun! Enjoy yourself, and the feel!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers, weather permitting next week and it will be chocks away, wheeeee! snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rockyrobin, good pair of boots you've got yourself. I've switched from a pair of Technica Icon X (pretty stiff) that were too large to a perfectly fitting pair of (women's) X Wave 8's. As ssh says, the spoiler is fine if you have a normal calf position, but you should be able to adjust it if not. Since women have lower calves than men, mine is set a bit low for me, but I've yet to adjust it.

I find that the X waves make for very easy, comfortable skiing. They're easy to flex, but still offer enough support when you want to push a bit harder. This makes them great on the bumps, since you should feel that you're able to ride you skis rather than the other way round.

Try playing around with the spoiler and the 3d buckle - what feels best probably works best. Don't be tempted to mess with the canting though, that's just for the boot doctor to adjust! Since you have footbeds already, you should be ready to roll.

Also, thin socks are best - they should actually keep your feet just as warm and you'll have better control too.

Bon ski!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rockyrobin, I've got 'em too: very pleased after 1 week! The spoilers are out, and I haven't messed with the 3D buckle yet. They seem to fit like a glove, so I'm not too bothered.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the info guys.
I tried my boots out last week at Cairngorm and they are indeed a great fit. With the conformable foot bed the boot feels like it was made for my foot.
At first I thought they would be too tight around the ball/ankle but now can see how this keeps foot from lifting and my feet feel great at the end of the day.
Weather wasn't quite up to playing with boots and I was so busy enjoying the excellent conditions for Scotland the last thing on my mind was boot fiddling.
The sight of the Cas curved ridge acting like a snowmaking machine going up the Cas T-Bar was a sight to behold Smile
If I get chance to go snowdoming I may take a looksee at playing with the toys on the boots to see of they help or hinder.
When in the wild its so rare an occurence that I cannot bring myself to waste a moment.
Now all I want is another cold snap for early mid March and one more session in Scotland before the thaw.
Time for giving the weather sites and forums some abuse Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rockyrobin I have XWave 9's, skied 4-5 weeks in them - great boot but not without some adjustments for me.

I've never had too much of a problem with the spoiler but I had cramps down the outside of both feet. I've had them strecthed slightly and wear thin socks which seems to help. I still get the odd problem and it can take a few days skiing for them to settle down. Moving the buckle helped me as it does not clamp onto a bone in my foot anymore.

Anyway they are going to get another hammering in 2 weeks - cant wait
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Simon L, Those cramps you are having down the outside of your feet are exactly the same as when I first got my boots.
I was told it was because I have a good arch on my feet and with the standard footbeds not offering support there, the load was getting transferred to my outer edges of my feet giving me cramps like you within 10 minutes of walking about in the boots in the shop.
One set of conformable foot beds later and my arch is now held up and supported and I get no more cramps Smile

Thanks ofr the info on moving the clamp. With my arches being supported i'm thinking I may benefit also from moving this.

You going anywhere nice? Heh, anywhere with snow and sliding is nice Laughing
I enjoyed myself so much last week I feel another few days treat in the Highlands this week beckons snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy