Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zell am See, Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just about to leave for snowy Austria Very Happy

Plan to ski Kitzsteinhorn, Kaprun; Schmittenhohe, Zell am See; Saalbach-Hinterglemm while we're there Madeye-Smiley

I'll report on conditions when I get back Sad

AW
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have fun snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skanky, thanks, will do!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
AlpineWalker, been there twice and loved both times (had a great couple of days in Saalbach, too whilst there the first time).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AlpineWalker, If you're plannig all those resorts, I am assuming you're pretty competent. I know most of those resorts, so some specific advice for what it's worth. Apologies if you already know the resorts well.

Zell: the reds on the Sonnembahn are really nice tree line runs (although a little blueish). Blacks 13 and 14 are good well-groomed steeps. runs. Black 15 has a nice bar half way down. Great for a couple of beers before skiing down in the dark down the bottom half (it's very wide, but watch out for the roadthat crosses the piste half way down). Obviously Crazy Daisy's in town has to be checked out, although I hear it's moved this year into a different building. Avoid the old cable car up to Schmittenhohe , big queues, either use the City X-press (from middle of town), or the cable that takes you up the Sonnembahn.

Kaprun: not really any challenging skiing, although there's some fun ski-routes marked on the map, that are great when there's been any fresh snow. If you had to miss one out I'd choose that one. Great for late season skiing in April/May or for beginners. But there's lots of T-bars, and it's all pretty flat and although there's some great views, it's above the tree-line. Note that the lift on Kitzsteinhorne doesn't leave from Kaprun (it's a good 5-10 min drive/bus). Allow a good 30 mins from Kaprun to putting your skis on.

Saalbach/Hintgerglemm: Zwolferkogel Nordfahrt (the north face) is by far the hardest run (1km vertical, 3km length, and almost all of gradient is lost in the bottom half which is very steep, narrow and bumpy). The black down the Schattberg is a nice long black. Reds on the Asitz mountains over to Leogang offer great skiing (and nice between the piste stuff). If you're feeling adventurous, try and do a circuit all the way round the valley, taking in Leogang as well. The South face of the Zwolferkogel (top left of the map) has some nice reds, and there are some good tree line runs if you ski back from Leogang into Saalbach. We set ourselves the "impossible" challenge of doing every red and black in the resort in a day, which is just about possible at 100km of skiing.

I don't know Kitz well enough to give any advice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
AlpineWalker,

kamikaze gave an excellent write-up.

Just couple of little extra points as I can do better than kamikaze. The Pist No. 10 (red) in Zell am See has a couple of lunch places with spectacular view of the lake.

When I went in Kitzsteinhorn's top restaurant the piste going down was closed due to the high wind and the blown away snow. We ended up taking a tiny cable car (on rails) back to the main slope top. There were a few skiers and boarders trying to go off piste from the restaurant. Apart from the cable car route there was only one chairlift there. All the other lifts were drag lifts in Kaprun.

In Saalbach you can park inside multistorey car park which is free to the ski pass holders. I found food better in the restaurants in Saalbach than Zell. Hinterglemm had the best night life.

Bad Gastein isn't too far away from Zell am See and is worth a trip because the road is good and fast.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kamikaze, saikee, thanks, just read these tonight, provided some excellent info. Know the area reasonably well from summer trips. Managed to ski Arietbahn, Schmittenhoe, SonnenAlm areas above Zell, Maiskogel and Kitzsteinhorn near Kaprun and the south facing slopes above Hinterglemm.

Enjoyed all the skiing, including taking my son (who started with a basic snowplough on a blue next to the Arietbahn on Sunday morning & was carving turns by the afternoon) down numerous reds and blacks by the end of the week. Oh to be a fit and active 25 year old!

The two bus journey from where we were staying to Hinterglemm was not worth it in my view, 1 hour there and another back. Definitely plan to go back and ski Saalbach-Hinterglemm more extensively but would either take a car or stay in the valley.

AW
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy