Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone used Thrifty Car Hire from Munich Airport

Poster: A snowHead
I've booked a hire car from Munich Airport via the Holiday Autos website. The voucher I have been sent is for Thrifty Car Hire and states that I need to catch a shuttle bus to an off site pick up. I have looked up Thrifty in Munich and the addresss seems to be the other side of the city.

Has anyone used Thrifty in Munich? How long is the transfer and how often are the shuttle buses?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Eek...i've noticed mine says the same. Hope someone can shed some light!

D
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have googled the address on my voucher and it's in Neufahrn Bei Freising which is not on the other side of the city but in fact very close.

I would guess the transfer is just a few minutes - not like having the car in the underground car park but not the other side of the city so hopefully that is helpful.

We usually send the drivers through security first to get the paperwork started so by the time the luggage has come through, we are just about pulling up in arrivals ready to load the cars and get going. I would imagine this will be even more useful if the office is off-airport.

D

ETA - I have just found a couple of 'airport hotels' in Neufahrn and they say 9km which is what 6 miles? It's not very close then, but not across town.

It's kind of a bit annoying as when I booked on Holiday Autos, I don't remember anything telling me that this company had off-airport collection/delivery.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's about 10Km, which is 6 miles! You have direct access to the main motorway into Munich from there, and that takes you directly onto the motorway ring around Munich in the direction of Salzburg/Innsbruck ( which I assume is where you are wanting to get to ), so no problems at all.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ta Steilhang, that's helpful, so you would suggest lugging all of our group (10) plus luggage over there, so we can hit the motorway straight away, rather than the advance party picking up the cars and going back to the airport to collect the people and bags?

D
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Deliaskis, If they take you all in the transfer bus, yes definitely all go over there and then straight on to Austria.

Have fun!
Mike
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Transfer bus is small (7 seater) and there may well be a queue, then the usual long wait to do paperwork. We had a shouting match with driver last year (which i missed having grabbed a single seat to get to the office and start on paperwork). I am determined to avoid this year if i can (but Thrifty are £200 cheaper for a Mercedes 9 seater).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's quite nearby and pretty much highway all the way so only about 10min drive away.

Having come out we waited in the appointed area but didn't see any shuttles so telephoned them. I don't think there was a regular shuttle at the time we went (late April) and I don't think anyone was sent until I phoned rolling eyes

However 2 shiny new black Merc estates swiftly arrived. The drivers were rather unsmiling, solid looking men wearing dark sunglasses. Our luggage was rapidly loaded into the back of one while we were politely but firmly ushered into the back of the other. I remember a fleeting thought concerning whether this was VIP treatment because they hadn't gotten there on time or whether we were in fact about to be given a robust demonstration of how Eastern European money laundering operations dealt with potentially turbulent customers.

Thankfully we arrived safely at their offices quite intact. The gentleman who served us spoke excellent English. It had not escaped my attention as we arrived that there were no Focus/Astra class cars outside, and sure enough we were offered an upgrade - shiny new black Merc estate, supercharged 6 spd auto with satnav Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, been there, got the T shirt and NEVER again. It might only be a few miles away from the terminal, it might be cheaper but there are a few things...
(1) finding the effing shuttle bus... cleverly unmarked
(2) yes, there is a queue when you get there
(3) it'll cost you time
(4) humping your luggage/skis/children/partner ( Madeye-Smiley ) more times than you want to
(5) small vehicle fleet - this robs you of upgrade possibilities. I enjoy unexpected upgrades.
(6) having to allow extra time on return jouirney
(7) having to think about finding the effing industrial estate (actually not that hard but it weighs on your mind)
(eight) once again, humping your luggage/skis/children/partner ( Madeye-Smiley ) more times than you want to
(9) it's meant to be a holiday not a bush tucker trial

I now book with on-airport companies like Avis or Sixt.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller, well I wish I had known before booking that his was who I would get, as I would have chosen something else, but Holiday Autos send the voucher when it is all already confirmed and it was only then that I realised this was going to be a thing.

A bit annoyed really, as we have a really early return flight.

D
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller wrote:
(7) having to think about finding the effing industrial estate (actually not that hard but it weighs on your mind)

This was preprogrammed into the Merc's satnav Toofy Grin All I had to do was change the language.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Used them in June and would use them again
As others have said about 10 to 15 minutes from airport
Nice to see Holiday Autos are giving the correct info re pickup now though but I would have their phone number handy encase there is not a shutle bus waiting for you.
When you are returning the car the nearest petrol station is next to Ikea but they don't take credit cards (CASH ONLY)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Guys, good news and bad news!

Bad news (for me) having waited for the effing shuttle bus, tried phoning, no answer. Took taxi to the address on my voucher (same as place I picked up last time). Office closed. 2 unhelpful staff who reluctantly called me another cab to return to the airport where office is now!

Good news for anyone who has booked: PICKUP IS NOW IN TERMINAL!!

I phoned Holiday Autos on the way back to airport. First spoke to a call centre in (probably) India, then to a UK call centre. They both repeated to me over and over again "Your voucher clearly states that pick up is in the Terminal". I responded each time becoming more testy at each repetition, "no it doesn't, it's in my hand at the moment and it clearly states take the shuttle to (address)." "No Sir, your voucher clearly states....."

I finally lost my temper at this said something rude and told them they'd here later from me. I wouldn't usually lose it with call centre staff, but the repeated suggestion that somehow I was having a visual hallucination of a previous Thrifty address when they quite clearly new I had been sent that voucher was really getting on my t*ts (bit like Paul with Jim, but that's another story for another forum Smile )

Anyway, they get one email, if I don't have £60 in taxi fares refunded with an apology promptly then off to Small Claims again.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I used Thrifty in Munich for my trip to Saalbach last week and also booked through Holiday Autos. Called the number given to organise our pick up at Terminal 1. It came in 15 minutes - quite easy to spot as they told me what colour van to look for. Took around 10 minutes to get there. Waited about 20 minutes while they dealt with someone else who had a booking but no vehicle!! Sorted my vehicle and got upgraded to a Mercedes A class Automatic. Got out of Thrifty straight onto the Motorways in the direction of Salzburg.

I would use them again
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Touchguru, everyone else is reporting that pick up is in-terminal? Sure it was Thrifty?
snow report
andytb, 100%, We were picked up by there van outside Terminal 1 Arrivals (think it was gate C) on Wednesday evening 20th January after calling the number on the voucher sheet and taken to their offices a short drive away.
snow report
Hi all,

Thrifty at Munich are now in the terminal building, just past where all the other car hire desks are. Cars are in multi-storey again with all the other rental cars. They moved around Wed 20th Jan which accounts for the confusion as anyone on Christmas and new year trips will have had to shuttle to the off-site office.

Anyway, good news in the long run, bad news for people like Ghost Dog who have been on a wild goose chase around the region.

D
latest report
It gets worse, Deliaskis, they took an authorisation for 1000Euro deposit and actually put it through, refunding my card on 1 Feb. Lost 60 euro on the drop in value of euro. I've raised a challenge with First Direct Visa as this is the first time they have actually taken the deposit, and it should have been returned on the 27th anyway. Aaargh. Never again.
snow conditions
Ghost Dog, ouch, I will be on the lookout for that then, normally rental companies just say they are going to 'block' the deposit amount, whatever that means.
snow report
That's what Thrifty did last year.

BTW we didn't have winter tyres on the van they supplied, made me sign a waiver that they had explained that I needed them in Austria.

Entering Zillertal the polis were checking, we had to slow down and let another car get stopped so we could sneak by.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy