Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting Fit

Poster: A snowHead
Three months to go (and counting!!!) - any fitness training programmes that anyone can recommend for a 45year old mum of average fitness (but not up to a week's worth of skiing just yet!!!). I do a bit of cycling but that's about it - any specific targets would be great to motivate me!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do a bit more cycling.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
have a look at this recent thread
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=56919

lots of good ideas there - one specific target would be to aim to do a minute on each leg of the "bridge" exercise illustrated.

Otherwise, the usual - squats and lunges, plus a bit of cardio. Cycling is great but the weather isn't!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
to go with a bit more cycling, do some strength/agility circuits 2-3 x per week. Include exercises for your core (eg, planks, side planks, glute bridges) and your legs (1 leg dips/squats, lunges etc), and gradually progress the exercises to more dynamic ones. A good target is to build to doing lateral jumps (jumping side to side in a ski posture), while keeping leg symmetry and a nice strong core, and doing multiple sets of these.
Then, replace a cycling session every week or two with an hour or so of walking up and down hills, with a rucsac on, if you have anything suitable where you live. Uphill is great for cardio fitness, downhill great for ski specific leg strength, especially if you zig zag a bit. If you don't have any hills, just walk up and down a few flights of stairs for 20-30 mins, for a similar effect.
And work your balance constantly - stand on 1 leg to brush your teeth and in the shower, see how long you can stand with your eyes shut, etc.

Theres loads of stuff on the net you can find. heres a few links to get you started: http://www.tdcski.com/about_tdc/other_stuff/fitnessCore.shtml, http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/guides/page.aspx?intGuideID=12 (skicliub members only), http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/ski-biomechanics-physiology/strength-conditioning.htm
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go Skiing every weekend , its great excercise.. and its helpful for your skiing.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Buy a new pair of running shoes and a flourescent yellow jacket, you'll need it with these dark nights. Just go out for a run, start by running as far as you can without stopping, then walk for then same distance then run/walk back. Just keep doing this till you can run non-stop for 20 minutes covering about 2 miles on the way out, then you'll be doing just fine running 4 miles a few times a week.

That's about as fit as you need and you'll be able to ski down most pistes without stopping for breath.

Weightlifting only helps if you need to carry your ski's between lifts. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Brookside, follow Gra's advice. That covers stamina, strength and balance.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

work your balance constantly

Agreed... Get hold of a wobble board. (Your kids will love playing on it too!)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Burnsy wrote:
Buy a new pair of running shoes and a flourescent yellow jacket, you'll need it with these dark nights. Just go out for a run, start by running as far as you can without stopping, then walk for then same distance then run/walk back. Just keep doing this till you can run non-stop for 20 minutes covering about 2 miles on the way out, then you'll be doing just fine running 4 miles a few times a week.

That's about as fit as you need and you'll be able to ski down most pistes without stopping for breath.

Weightlifting only helps if you need to carry your ski's between lifts. Evil or Very Mad

Distance running only helps improve your heart and lung capacity, unless you ski with straight legs. Sprinting is better (Usian Bolts legs v Paula Radcliffe's?) but go cycling and climb lots of stairs to get slope fit.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Drink a bottle of red and eat 4lbs of cheese a night
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A wobble board has helped me a lot. Take care not to do too much repetition of any one specific motion - build up to things. I made the mistake of being overenthusiastic about getting fit and ended up worse off as I got bursitis rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bar shaker wrote:
Distance running only helps improve your heart and lung capacity

Thus improving stamina.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Generally the better your balance the less effort skiing will be, good balance and core strength probably reduce the chance of injury too

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercisegear/a/bosu.htm
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So is this the right kind of balance board?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaddyLouLou, looks like it - mine was cheaper than that, from Decathlon.
ski holidays
Brookside, some of the posters above haven't read the "busy mum" part of your post. Leave the kids to sort themselves out, get a rucksack and get out in them hills!! Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

Weightlifting only helps if you need to carry your ski's between lifts.

...and if you want to reduce injury risk, and improve your skiing performance, your core stability, balance and your agility.

Obviously, going to the gym and doing leg extensions on a machine won't help all these areas above, but doing functional strength training, ie training the movement patterns used in skiing with bodyweight or light dumbells, can massively help all the above. So, lunges, 1 -leg squats, various jumps such as lateral jumps, plus dynamic core work, can be considered as both functional and strength exercises. Once you've got a good base fitness from these, then weight training is an excellent progression, especially exercises like squats, romanian deadlifts & cleans
ski holidays
can you walk to/from school every day (assuming your dropping the kids off....)
snow report
bar shaker wrote:

Ahh, the propogation of the myth that implies cardio exercise doesn't actually build useful muscle for snowsports Smile Aside from weight bearing endurance exercise building muscles that keep doing things right when others are getting tired, it also helps to stop things like leg bones and knee ligaments from snapping when things go wrong. I'll accept however that weight lifting probably helps you to look the part if you are auditioning as an extra in a Frankie goes to Hollywood snowsports fantasy video. Toofy Grin

Burnsy wrote:

I doubt that even. I strap my skis, poles and mountain daypack to my back and happily hike up 1,500 feet or so of vertical to reach the skinning snowline and all while wearing ski boots. I reckon that carrying an extra 10kg of muscle on my arms and shoulders would actually slow me down.
snow report
I had a go on a couple of balance boards in the gym yesterday. One was a big BOSU, the other a little plastic one, much smaller diameter, with bobbles on one side and smooth on the other. More like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Home4physio-35cm-Wobble-Cushion-Pump/dp/B000W0AXFK/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1259058680&sr=8-19&tag=amz07b-21
I'd be interested in any advice on the pros and cons of different varieties. What about the ones with a plank that rolls back and forth on a roller underneath? We used to have something like that as kids.
latest report
Part of my fitness program involves walking up hills backwards pulling my son in a buggy - I've had some very funny looks!! Laughing
snow report
Brookside, Whatever cardio you like doing the best do lots of it. If its cycling then great.
Get a training buddy to motivate you.

pam w, Do theses balance boards actually work?
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:
bar shaker wrote:

Ahh, the propogation of the myth that implies cardio exercise doesn't actually build useful muscle for snowsports Smile Aside from weight bearing endurance exercise building muscles that keep doing things right when others are getting tired, it also helps to stop things like leg bones and knee ligaments from snapping when things go wrong. I'll accept however that weight lifting probably helps you to look the part if you are auditioning as an extra in a Frankie goes to Hollywood snowsports fantasy video. Toofy Grin

Do these look like the legs of a world champion skier?

ski holidays
Burnsy wrote:

Like this weakling

wink
snow report
Go to a circuit training class at your local leisure centre - Generally include a good range of exercies for overall fitness. Good overall fitness should help
snow report
Quote:

Do theses balance boards actually work?

ph, I have no doubt that they improve your balance - I'm less convinced that for someone like me, not aiming for top level performance (to put it mildly) they are more effective than standing on one leg with your eyes closed!

There's a fantastic picture somewhere on snowheads of Chemmy Alcott balancing on top of a big exercise ball. Exceptionally impressive! I don't aspire to that, though Hurtle does the ironing on a wobble board, it seems. wink
snow conditions
pam w, here you go:
snow conditions
hyweljenkins, that's good, but it's a different one!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just started doing spinning classes. With an instructor shouting encouragement at you it keeps you working at a good rate where I know I would have packed up long before.
snow conditions
Since the OP stated she was
Quote:

a 45year old mum of average fitness

and hasn't returned, maybe all the things some people do to train have scared her off? I would suggest (as a 49 year old dad/grandad, who has a 42 year mum/granny as a wife) that what the OP really needs is not ski specific, balance specific, or strength specific, but just to get fitter! Going running will do it, circuit training would be better, spinning would do it - if you are at a low or moderate level of fitness it does not need to be complicated Smile These will also have the side effect of making her look better, and feel better Razz
latest report
hyweljenkins, Chemmy has looked better than in your pic! To say the least. It's more Chavvy Alcott then Chemmy. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Brookside, Along with cycling, walking etc. I use home workout DVD's - my current preference is Davina McCall's Superbody Workout - choice of 2 x 40 minute workouts with the added bonus of an extra 10 minutes of abdominal, legs and upper body exercises. Even for us busy Mums, we can find 40-50 minutes at some point in the day. I have found these DVD's both enjoyable and beneficial. Smile
ski holidays
hyweljenkins, pregnant? or does she look fat in that t-shirt?
latest report
How to build Lindsay Vonn - US World Cup ski champion:

http://youtube.com/v/RkIagSiJv7o
ski holidays
RobinS, exactly the point I was making above, when somebody suggested she should put on a rucksack and go hill walking. It's far easier for us 62 year old grannies to do that than it is for a mother with young children.
snow report
RobinS wrote:
Since the OP stated she was
Quote:

a 45year old mum of average fitness

and hasn't returned, maybe all the things some people do to train have scared her off? I would suggest (as a 49 year old dad/grandad, who has a 42 year mum/granny as a wife) that what the OP really needs is not ski specific, balance specific, or strength specific, but just to get fitter! Going running will do it, circuit training would be better, spinning would do it - if you are at a low or moderate level of fitness it does not need to be complicated Smile These will also have the side effect of making her look better, and feel better Razz

Age has nothing to do with it.

I'm 46 and do approx 10 hours of spin classes (or my own spin sessions) each week, plus other core exercises and I go out on my mountain bike at weekends. My wife is 44 does 6 hours of spinning, 3 hours of kettle bells and 2 hours Nike Training/body pump a week. Two weeks ago she upgraded her road bike to a carbon fibre one, as she wants to get into some serious road racing this summer. We are both much fitter than those friends of ours who are lucky enough to still be in their twenties.

Maybe our posts just haven't inspired the OP. Maybe she is still at the gym or out on her bike.
latest report
bar shaker, I've seen women in Spin classes not even break a sweat after 45 minutes, so the number of hours is irrelevant.
snow report
hyweljenkins, We have those in our classes too. Their make up remains perfect throughout the class Laughing Laughing Laughing

Weigh yourself before and after. If you haven't sweated a net kilo, you haven't worked hard enough!!
snow conditions
bar shaker, but how many small kids do you look after? My daughter in law is struggling to fit in some exercise. She could push the pram up her local hill (possibly backwards) and does, when she can, but that has to be when she isn't also looking after the 3 year old (you try getting a 3 year old to go anywere in a straight line...). So that's two mornings a week, when he is in pre-school. Which is also her main opportunity to try to get some of the jobs like mopping the floor done - much more difficult when he's there with his train sets etc set out in the playroom. My son gets home around 7 pm - maximum exhaustion time of day for a mother of young kids. Usually in time to help with bath time, read stories to one child (whilst she breastfeeds the baby and listens to the 6 year old practice her spellings). After that, when the kids are asleep, and she's exhausted (breastfeeding and still sometimes having to get up in the night) her motivation to go out to some kind of exercise class, a minimum of 7 miles away, especially on a dark night, is pretty low.

It can be done, but it's not easy and takes both iron will and enormous powers of organisation.
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
hyweljenkins, We have those in our classes too. Their make up remains perfect throughout the class Laughing Laughing Laughing

Is he called Alex (Reid)?

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00061/reid280_61773a.jpg
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy