Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Organised ski lift queueing in France!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'll inflame the boarder/skier argument by agreeing with ise - I ski, and yup, if I think a boarder looks wobbly in the queue, I'll try to hang back from getting on the chair with them. I'll hang back from wobbly looking skiers too, tho. It's nothing personal, it's just that I don't like being taken out when getting off chairs. Evil or Very Mad Although I must say that, in my observations, novice skiers appear to have fewer problems getting off than do novice snowboarders. And snowboarders seem to remain worse at getting off chairs for a longer period of their learning processs than do skiers. Mind you the ski-centric design of chairlifts doesn't help boarders. If lift systems were originally designed by boarders for boarders then I wouldn't be surprised if they were exclusively walk-on or gondola types (certainly no drags or T-bars!!!). And we wouldn't be discussing this point ! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
But my point is this - i can confidently say that I have been boarding for long enough that anyone can tell that I know what I'm doing (at least, until i try the half-pipe!). I doubt that anyone would look at me in a lift queue and think "he's a wobbler". I cannot remember the last time I fell over when exiting a chairlift (except once in Jan this year when a skier decided to lean heavily on my back - even then I didn't actually fall, i just had to skip, hop and jump out of their way).

Therefore, when I get people hanging back at the last minute, it must be down to pure prejudice. That is fine by me as I'll be long gone down the run before they get off their chair, but it is not so good for those in the queue behind.

As for ise's comment about boarders getting on the lifts with both feet in the bindings - I agree totally - that is not how you should do it and it creates a potential accident immediately. I have only done it on drag lifts but then you are in single file well in advance and can pull yourself along on the railing without holding anyone up.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Manda, I can't think of a better lift than a chairlift. I can't be doing with taking my board right off and climbing up stairs. Personally I prefer drag lifts to sardine can cable cars.

Tony Lane, could it be the tendency of riders with 0 degree binding angles to have their boards sideways on the chair. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
neilswingler wrote:
Tony Lane, could it be the tendency of riders with 0 degree binding angles to have their boards sideways on the chair. Puzzled

I cannot think of any good reason. No-one has a zero degree front binding but even with a sharply forward pointing front binding the board will sit diagonally under the chair. But is this a problem? No. It is very easy to position the board without clashing with a neighbouring set of skis. Given the willingness of some skiers to stand on boards/skis with their hire skis, I doubt that many would care about a few knocks anyway!

I do understand the desire to avoid beginner boarders and if I see an obvious beginner i would probably ensure that i was on the edge seat and so could get out of the potential crash zone at the other end - but if they are going to crash I would rather be sliding away from them than stuck on the next chair waiting for the liftie to pick up the pieces.

I certainly agree that an efficient chair is much the best way of getting up the mountain.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a tendency to give boarders some space e.g. in a 4 man chair I prefer to have a spare place between me and the boarder if its quiet enough for spaces. Have had too many boarders wipe me out - so i prefer it if they have the outside seat - and I will push myself off the chair as soon as possible to make sure I leave any wipe out behind me.
Will be funny this year when I'm the beginner boarder struggling to get off the chair lift!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I find it helpful that when standing up on exiting the chair to firmly shoulder charge any boarders, this is very effective in clearing the area. They will probably fall over anyway so you may as well clear the are for those following
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tony Lane, I'll happily sit next to you then snowHead
neilswingler - really? Huh. I've just learned something new then. I really need to try boarding if only to find out what it's like as a boarder on the slopes (please skiiers don't shoot me for my disloyalty!!! rolling eyes )
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman NOOOOOOOooooOOO! Inevitably I'll be the patsy on the next chair up who gets to deal with the fallout of your shoulder charge!!! Don't you even dare think about it!!! [glares viciously]
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Manda
Quote:

this is very effective in clearing the area.

, My idea is that if you bump them hard enough they will be well clear of the off ramp, usually giving the lift operator a cuddle in his hut
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
neilswingler wrote:
ise,

Quote:
I have to say when I'm on skis I do look at boarders and try to assess if they're capable of getting off the lift or not without making a fuss

Why don't you worry about that when you are boarding as well Puzzled Surely on skis, it's easier to avoid a lift exit pile up than on a board with back foot out.

I do worry about it when I'm on the board of course Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Manda, don't forget that the vast majority of snowboarders can get off chairlifts without any drama whatsoever.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
neilswingler, very true. I think this falls into the same mythical category as the "boarder who takes out skiers". Maybe I'm blind or too focussed on my own activities, but I rarely see collisions on piste and rarely see people having so much trouble getting off chairlifts that they disrupt others around them.

Most of us (skiers and boarders) are essentially competent and considerate - and it feels bizarre to be avoided by some because of a misplaced prejudice.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skiers should have a go boarding - I did a few hours on a dryslope and then had a day on snow. It really makes you see what the other side is trying to cope with. I hope I am a bit more thoughtful around boarders now - they have a different set of things to consider when manouvering than skiers. I still try to suss out the wobbly ones at chair lifts! Decided it wasn't for me, I had more bruises than I get after a weeks skiing! Blush

Back to the queuing - there was a definite improvement we noticed. The pisters were more proactive in making people fill the chairs and there was generally less aggression as a result because the queue kept moving.... not bad for half term week. The only person who I yelled at for pushing through and stamping all over everyones skis was an English lad of about 12 who thought he'd beat his siblings onto the chair!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't care as long as the queue is progressing nicely. Its when you are waiting more than you should you notice empty chair and know it could be organised better. But when you find ski groups split up where to they wait, yup, at the top right in the way of the one-footed boarders.
I think the Italians are the worst tho', skiing is such a social thing for them
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy