Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs - Car Parking

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just struck me.... where's the best place to park in Arcs 1800?

I noticed there is free parking there. Is it far away from the centre of town? Is it safe to leave the car parked there for the week?

How much is covered parking (Les Villards) for the week?

Any help would be much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone? Please Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
m00958, sorry, only stayed in 2000 and didn't have a car with us.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't think I can help either as I only parked in Bourg St Maurice. The car park for the funicular is free and some cars were there for a long time. It is same throughout the Tarentaise. Many car parks are used by skiers staying the resorts. Paid car parks are expensive as the days can clock up. Apart from Tignes I didn't have to pay for parking in Val D, La Rosiere, BSM, La plagnes, Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thoren and Valmorel. It has crossed my mind may be I should try Arc1800 or Arc2000 but the funicular is pretty good without much walking. Judging from the demand I would expect free parking in Arc1800.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I remember walking through the underground carpark at Arc 1600 and thinking "Am I in the heart of the soaring magnificent Alps, or the back end of Slough?"
I got a similar impression on walking through the subterranean carpark of Belle Plagne.
The 'urbanisation' of these mountain areas is a big mistake.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith wrote:
I remember walking through the underground carpark at Arc 1600 and thinking "Am I in the heart of the soaring magnificent Alps, or the back end of Slough?"
I got a similar impression on walking through the subterranean carpark of Belle Plagne.
The 'urbanisation' of these mountain areas is a big mistake.

putting the car parks underground is clearly a good idea though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Better not to have the damn things there in the first place. Call me Mr Sanctimonious but I've never driven to the Alps in 46 years of skiing (well, admittedly the first 12 years would have been illegal!) and never will.
So car parking is not something terribly dear to my heart!
Nice to see Jean-Claude Killy wanting to ban cars from Val d'Isere, but we need to provide the means to access these resorts without cars at all, rather than building vast carparks on their fringes. The pollution generated by all these vehicles climbing steep roads is phenomenal, for a start.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 19-02-05 9:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith,

I have no statistics to show how many skiers drive to ski in the Alps but I bet most of the continental skiers go there in cars. Their equivalent "Slough" is the subterranean carpark of Belle Plagne. Despite all the cars in the Tarentaise resorts and Tignes/Val D possibly got the most they are still relatively small relative to the number of people skiing there. All the resorts have very limited spaces for cars and the congestion is never a problem until the changeover day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wouldn't drive either, if it wasn't for our 1 year old daugther. The thought of taking her on a plane isn't something I want to think about! And we couldn't easily fit all her equipment in to our luggage for travel on a plane.

I'm not relishing the thought of the parking/traffic in Arcs 1800, but it was either drive or not go.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
m00958, point taken! She might love the snowtrain to Bourg St Maurice when she's older. Our two girls found it a great adventure, taking the Dover-Calais ferry and the overnight couchettes. As we've discussed elsewhere in many threads, there's also the more civilised Waterloo-Paris-Bourg St Maurice connection.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Given that someone decided to build Belle Plagne at all, (to balance the uglier bits of LP perhaps?) I'm very glad they buried 95% of the car parking under the buildings. (Although I agree it's a smelly hole to walk through to access your hotel / apartment. Because service vehicles like dustbin trucks also use it - another consideration.) Most apartment owners and renters in Europe will travel by car because of the volume of kit and provisions they take, for convenience and for economy. If they then park out of sight, out of the weather, and leave the machine there for the entire length of their stay, that's actually a pretty environmentally friendly way of holidaying. Probably better than flying. Better than acres of outdoor asphalted parking, with polluted run off, snow ploughs and blowers digging out buried cars. Much better than taking ski buses to the lifts every day, or the American style of driving to almost every snowsports area.
Since Belle Plagne is mainly S/C apartments there had to be space somewhere for parking. At least after the top turning circle and car park entrance the rest of above ground BP is a pedestrian / skiing / sliding / dog walking zone. Zero traffic. As purpose-built villages go, it's one of the better planned.
Sorry I can't answer your specific questions George but PG probably will.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We were in Les Arcs 1800 a couple of years ago with a car but our apartment had underground parking. However, I'm pretty sure I remember lots of other car parks around. We saw them when we went food shopping in some god forsaken place that looked exactly like I imagine the back end of Slough might look.
Ah ha, I've just found some info on car parks. Apparently (apart from the Bourg parking already mentioned) there are car parms at:
Arc Pierre Blance (1600) - free outdoor parking. Covered parking approx 48 Euros Enquiries 0033 (0) 479074132
Arc 1800: All enquiries to 00 33 (0)4 79 07 14 51, Fax: 00 33 (0)4 79 07 21 48
There is also parking at 2000 but it wouldn't be easy to get back and forth.
Hope that helps
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy