Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Doing the Season

Poster: A snowHead
Hear goes...I always felt I had missed out by not "doing the season" probably because I didn't start skiing until I was 30!! Am now 44 and always assumed that chalet staff were youngsters, never crossed my mind that an "oldie" like me would stand a chance. While on holiday in Courch last week three of the chalet staff in our chalethotel were over 35, one was in her 50's. Talked a lot with her, gave up a very stressful job because she just loved skiing and ski resorts. Has got me thinking, has anyone on this site been an older seasonnaire, or known anyone. I am seriously thinking about giving it a go maybe year 2006/7 but any advice would be useful....even advice from younger ex seasonnaires would be appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know David from Taxvax mentioned that Silver ski often employ older or retired people

have a scout around, there's a thread anout buying / leasing and running a chalet that may have some ideas
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sallyanne, go for it !! I did a season at 32 ... and I also worried everyone would be 18 !! There were people of all ages .. younger and older than me ... and age really didn't matter. Everyone is there for the skiing and the craic.

Tour Operators generally like to employ more mature staff too.

Also its definitely worth checking out the Season Workers website, www.natives.co.uk .. lots of useful advise, and also vacancies are advertised there.

Anyway, it was prob the best 4 months I have ever had !!

Go for it, go for it, for it !! You won't regret it !! More likely you'd regret the fact that you never did go for it !! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sonya - Wow, this is scary now....more comments please....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Im 43 & being doing seasons on & off since I was 18. I started off doing the "work bit" for a few seasons to get through.
Had some good jobs which allowed me to ski everyday. As life has gone on my real job finances the seasons. Didnt do one this year but planning a major one for next Very Happy
From what I see & hear nowadays, if your working its getting more difficult to ski everyday & some jobs your lucky to get on the slopes once a week Confused

I'd say go for it but if you have to work get a job that MAX'sOUT your ski time, after all thats what your there for Smile

Ski Tour Operators look for Mature folk but its bloody hardwork.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We took a chalet hol in Switzerland a few years ago, where the host was in her Fifties. If you're a great cook and know how to look after people I should think you'd be welcomed.

The operator we used was Inghams.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
it's not for me and I don't take chalet holidays, but, if I did I would far, far prefer someone over 30 running things not someone aged 18 taking a year out from their media studies course.

stantons right though, from what I hear & hear most seasonaires ski way, way less than I do so be careful Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sallyanne, A word on Silver Ski. Apparently the Owner, Mr Silver, spends most of the season in La Plagne and skiis most days. i saw him on the slopes and thought he was a tidy skier. The Silver Ski social skier then told me his age which was in 70s or 80-s, cant remember which Shocked . They did not seem understaffed, and ran incentive schemes with the clients eg, anyone that makes there own bed gets a funsize choccy on the pillow, all 15 kids in the chalet made their own beds evry day. my kids forgot one day , so I made them, and ate the goodies!. Try it for a season
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sallyanne, yes it can be hard work, particularly transfer days .. but its still really enjoyable. But I think, like yourself, I had been taking ski holidays for years, and was a bit older, so I didn't expect to ski all day every day, and party all night every night !!

You know yourself from holidays you've been on that the staff did actually have to work !! And I'd guess you have a fair idea of what work is involved. But having said that, the experienced was far better than I could ever have imagined. Absolutely fantastic.

But, apart from w/ends, I got to ski pretty much everyday. Its just a matter of getting yourself organised. And the walk to work has to be one of the best commutes in the world !!

But be prepared ... when I decided to quit my job and go for it .. my friends and family split into two camps .. there's the negative ones who will do everything to stop you going, and the positive ones who will encourage you.

So expect plenty of people telling you every reason under the sun why you shouldn't do it. But you'll probably be pleasantly surprised by some of the people who will actually stand by your decision and encourage you. So once you have made up your mind .. then go for it.

I had wanted to do it for years .. and I firmly believe I would have regretted not doing it. Things have worked out brilliantly for me since I did do it ... and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sallyanne, NOT an "...older seasonnaire" surely a 'mature seasonaire', Go for it! And please post your Chalet destination so that we can come and visit. Make sure they do SnowHead discounts!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all, Sonya - funnily enough, my partner has said I should do it (should I be worried!!!), and that is probably all that matters, but will be interesting. Who did you work for?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sallyanne, I have just pm'ed you with more details !!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You're right Bernard, "mature" is better, and of course I'll keep Snowhead informed. And thanks Sonya, have received your mail and have replied. Maybe will decide on this year and not next.....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sallyanne - I think that there is someone else in this forum ..... Linds? or Lindsay? ..... who has recently done this. Have not followed her threads, but have a look-out for her postings. snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hibernia, yeah, Linds did a part of a season, she's currently sunning herself on a beach somewhere.
latest report
hibernia, Lindsay is currently sunning herself on some beach or other in Gran Canaria, but it returning to reality at the weekend. I am sure that she will advise. I will leave a note for her at the other place.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Are we in a parallel universe?
ski holidays
she is here in the parallel universe otherwise known as the Ski Club ( formerly Ski Club of Great Britain ).

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.asp?intForumID=14&strForumTitle=Non%2Dsnowsports&intDiscussionID=7222&strDiscussionTitle=2005+Nightshift
ski holidays
deperate to do hubby/ wife type run chalet for silverski season, unfortunately youngest is only 8 so a few years to wait!!!! Feeling is could do a better job than 18yr old esprit "chef" we had this year Evil or Very Mad both of us used to public (nurse/ fireman combo) so would cope with work (sigh!!!)
latest report
Not done a season working but went to the Alps last year on a "sabbatical", living in a motorhome for the best part of 5 months. Obviously, this was way more expensive than working the season but I can truly say that I have no regrets whatsoever and it was probably the best decision of my life to go and do it. If you ever get the chance, just do it.
ski holidays
Me and Mr Manda (who's currently a headchef) have been seriously contemplating doing a season - the impression we get is that TOs aren't concerned about age so long as you're not so decrepit that you can't manage all the tasks required. I get the impression that most TOs would prefer so-called older applicants, but the vast proportion of applicants are of the 18yr old gap year "I have no idea what I want to do" types so that's who gets the job). What TOs do like to see is an ability to work independently and accurately to a set of requirements, maintain a cheery attitude in the face of endless annoyances, to work long hours, and to tolerate bvgger all pay. Which is fine if you're there for the experience rather than the money and don't go boozing every free minute.

Anyway most TO clients are of the "older" age bracket, so it actually makes sense that "older" folk should be well suited as staff!
snow report
Just remembered - last week I a met an English bloke on the chairlift up to Contamines who'd just opened up a chalet offering skiing holidays that he and his wife would be operating and they weren't spring chickens either.

It's not age that counts, it's ability.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy