Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne - the future

Poster: A snowHead
I read with interest the posting on Les Arcs - the future. Having just purchased a propertry in Montalbert in la Plagne area I have been trying to find out future plans for this area, in particular lift/piste expansion etc. Does anyone know a good source where I can find out this information. I know that when I was in L'Espace Killy last week there were posters and billboards advertsing the future plans for the next 3 to 4 years. Most resorts must plan ahead so would be interested to get some information.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here's some basic info to start with....

The Bouclets I & III drags (dating back to 1967/1970) are to be replaced December 2005, by a high speed 4 or 6 man chair starting from the lower part of the Hameau la Roche.

The Arpette chair (1986) to be replaced, during 2005, by a 8 man high speed chair following the same route as the current 4 man chair.

The Bellecôte eggs (1978) to be renovated, along the same line as Roche de Mio back in 2002.

New developments:

Other than replacements and modernisations, the la Plagne skiable area is to increase in total size by 20% by somewhere between 2010 and 2015, through the development of currently virgin territory.

- Friolin-Rochu sector

A lift starting from the near the Chalet de Bellecôte chair, arriving on the slopes of the Pointe du Friolin.

- Combe Guerrin sector

A lift linking the Vanoise Express with the Plan Leschaux-Dos Rond sector

- Jarset sector

A lift from the Adrets arriving at the Jarset.

- Combe des Arrières sector

A lift starting from the area of the Rossa, Quillis et Carella chairs, climbing up to the la Tougne massif, giving access to the Combe des Arrières.

- Ecuries de la Chiaupe sector

A chair crossing the Combe des Ecuries (la Chiaupe), parallel to the Chalet de Bellecôte chair...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Here's some basic info to start with....
that'll do for me. I'd hate to see the comprehensive version. wink Thanks again for passing on the local knowledge, PG.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG, Do you think there is any argument for a tow rope or similar for people having to cross Plagne Centre, eg Aime Plagne to the Funiplagne
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, good idea - a magic carpet or two might be nice. Plagne Centre is a notorious trudge and not just for boarders. Even if you attempt to bomb it (if snow conditions permit it) you are going to upset some people and it's not really safe to try to blast through the crowds.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I know it's considered a pain, except by locals who just skate around without a second thought. Trying to picture where it could be located without providing too much of an obstruction...

There is a La Plagne French language forum where this sort of thing is discussed, haven't seen that put forward - I could see what sort of response the idea gets?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PG thanks for this. Are you able to let me have your source (even if it is in french!) for this information Is this a website which details this?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mouth, sure - the best reference is a personal website - Romain regularly sources all his info from the lift company, so it's accurate.

http://romain.guigon.free.fr/

The French language forum 'Paradiski' can be found here. They are not averse to questions being asked in English if your French isn't up to it!

http://thermique74.nuxit.net/phpBB2/index.php
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG - thanks for this - really useful and appreciate it
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Trying to picture where it could be located without providing too much of an obstruction...
That was the only reason not to have one that I could think of. I had visions of peeps being garotted as the bombed down the piste to go to a restaurant for lunch. Could be off putting out on the terraces as the heads would roll quite a distance, probably in through a door and down the stairs into the toillettes, sorry its time for my tablet again.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Needed that wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG, It is because you have passion, but mainly because your are virtually French. You argue like a bloody frenchman. Do you participate in piste blockades etc etc wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spent my formative years in North Yorks, and you know how pigheaded they can be wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Frosty the snowman
Do you think there is any argument for a tow rope or similar for people having to cross Plagne Centre, eg Aime Plagne to the Funiplagne

Frosty that is a fantastic idea. I hate skiing down from Aime 2000 side by the Cristina or the Slalom Stadium, and having to get across to the lift at the bottom of the Green that takes you to the top of Plagne Bellecote. It ain't too bad till you get to by Oxygene, but then it's either pole past Le Vega and the kindergarten, or kick yer skis off and walk round the side of the Grande Rochette Gondola. We now tend to not bother eating in Plagne Centre at lunchtime unless there is someone with us in skischool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
New user posting #1: thought I'd start with something not too controversial - the Yanks (bless) have a travelator across the bottom of the Beaver Creek resort, to prevent having to pole or walk from one section to another (oh, and escalators from shopping mall to piste side, but I think that a tad excessive).

Perhaps something similar would prevent tow-roped heads disturbing diners in La Plagne were it decided that " something must be done" ? Twisted Evil
snow report
JimW, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead. 'Magic carpets' I have come across all seem to travel at one pace ... ie. barely moving! Anyone ever discovered one that reaches something like fast walking speed?
latest report
Anything that saves unneccessary effort is fine by me Very Happy
snow report
Some investment away from the bloody paradiski links would be nice! it seems all LP's cash is being spent getting you out of their area.

How about sorting out Center as discussed and some snow making in 1800 - the runs back bordered on dangerous even just a week after a heavy snowfall and any lift not getting you to Les Arc runs almost backwards they are so slow especially most of the lifts in the excellent Montalbert area
latest report
hobbiteater, Totally agree on 1800. We went 2nd jan and the runs back down were hideous. A couple of times we skied down Boulevarde (under La France building) to take the bridge over the road down to 1800, got to thr run and it was closed. This involved getting from their back up to Aime Plagne at 16.45, or trying to get an infrquent bus.
snow conditions
Yup, skiied down to 1800 at xmas (only 3-4 days after that massive pre xmas dump) and it was nearly bare again then, and then got ripped off in Le Mine in 1800 (40 Euros for 5 pints and 2 mini tubs of pringles!!!!). Shame as well, cos that is a really handy link from Plagne Centre to Aime 2000
snow conditions
We didn't really have a massive dump you know - lots of wind, very cold conditions, powder on a thin base of hard old snow, not ideal when the tourists turn up in numbers, often concentrating in small areas.

Snow making improvements are on the agenda - across in Les Arcs, in another thread, there is mention of 40% of the domain to be covered by artificial snowmaking with 10 years. Improvements at La Plagne too, haven't got time right now to dig out the refs. though...
latest report
we've just some back from Aime 2000 and although it snowed 4 out of 7 days the route through to 1800 just doesn't hold snow. Given the winds and temperature last week it was nicer to "skate" down the link than get battered above Aime2000 and then skate down that massively wide, body strewn slope to the golf lift.

Great to hear that the long drags are being replaced although the runs down to them were lovely and quiet due to all the "dangerous teleski" signs! The arpette though was heavily queued out most of the week, and frustratingly always 2 or 3 occupants on each chair, as was Colossus (is there anyother way of getting back to plagne centre?).

Thoroughly enjoyable time though.
snow conditions
In today's Skipressworld:

Quote:
La Plagne (Ski Press) La Plagne will replace one of it’s quad chairs with a new Leitner eight seater this summer, in order to further improve access to and from the Vanoise Express lift link to Les Arcs and ease circulation around the giant Paradiski domain created by the double-decker cable car.

Other plans for 05-06 include some new runs - detail to be announced - and a move of the resort’s snowpark to the “Capella” slopes.
snow conditions
PG, I think that's the upgrade of the Arpette lift from Plagne Bellecote. It's badly needed as that was the bottleneck on getting back to Les Arcs via the Vanoise. There are also some nice long blues from the top of Arpette back to Belle Plagne and other good runs down towards Mont Chavin and Les Cloches so this doubling of capacity will also benefit those who don't want to use the double-decker.

I think that might be a typo - I know there is a Carella run from Roche de Mio heading over the Champagny side. Not heard of a Capella ??
snow report
Quote:

Not heard of a Capella

it's a form of singing ... wink
snow report
Capella is the very nice blue that goes off left if you get off at the top of the Colorado 6 man chair and goes back down to Plagne centre. From the Colorado It goes under the Funiplagne, the Vega chair, and skirts Plagne Villages before coming back to Centre.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, thanks for the correction. 2 very similarly named runs is not too clever. And there is an Arpette in both LP and LA. How to confuse the billies, French style.
poma, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
kuwait_ian, I only remembered because the kids loved that run, the snow was quite good, and the lift was a fast detachable. Perfect way to end the day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can attest to the delays on the (LP) Arpette chair. It was the only real wait of any sort - and that in the French school holidays. The next nearest was a couple of slow winds onto the Roche de Mio TC. So I'll be very pleased if the work is completed on time for when I go back to LP in April next year! Very Happy
ski holidays
Even in a quite week we also encounterd significant queues on the Colossus chair in Bellcote. Anytime after 3 there would be a big queue of people wanting to go back to Centre, 1800, Aime 2000 etc
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Bellecote can be a bit of a log jam area since there are so many good high slopes accessible from it. If conditions allow, when I'm based in Belle Plagne I very rarely go over by Centre, 1800 and Aime. There is quite enough to keep me happy on the Roche de Mio, Chambery side, and above Mont Chavin. Altho' I have skied that Capella run many times without knowing the name, the trudge across Centre to get the chair lift back up over Villages & Soleil means I don't go down there so often. Still like LP however.
TallTone, Because Arpette is such an important lift for La Plagne & Paradiski I think you are safe to assume it will be done on time. I'm surprised the up-grade wasn't done earlier - it was so obviously one of the weakest links in their system.
snow report
kuwait_ian, I think La Plagne is terrific but with 2 downsides that have been mentioned, the Bellcote bottleneck, and the Centre crossing. Because of the Centre crossing problem, people tend to use the Funiplagne lift to get out of the bowl. Crossing to Aime is easier than the route back and a nice chair from the Bottom of the Aime side up to Capella would sort things out nicely. Suppose it would make the resort even busier
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, I would think that's impossible La Plagne has the greastest visitor numbers of any French resort.
snow report
David@traxvax, What even busier than La Rosiere Shocked wink
An interesting statement. That explains why it has always been busy in La Plagne when we go at start of January
ski holidays
PG wrote:
Sure - the best reference is a personal website - Romain regularly sources all his info from the lift company, so it's accurate.

http://romain.guigon.free.fr/

Thank you very much (I'am Romain GUIGON, the webmaster of PERSo-LA PLAGNE)
I'am sorry that my website be only in French...
Thanks again for your congratulations Wink

I try to have all informations about la Plagne. For example : for the 8 Arpette, the information was on PERSo-LA PLAGNE 4th April 2005 Razz

Quote:
+ Lundi 4 avril 2005

> Leitner retenu pour l'Arpette

Ce ne sera ni Poma ni Doppelmayr, mais Leitner qui construira le TSD8 de l'Arpette, le premier de ce type à la Plagne. [Source : SAP]

RG Smile
snow conditions
RG, Bienveneau a snowheads.
ski holidays
RG, hi Romain, welcome to snowHead snowHeads! snowHead Is your forum not working at the moment? I'm getting php errors today.
latest report
RG, The last time I looked your site was very slow. However i do think that it has some fascinating information on it and is the best independant La Plagne web site in town, well done Very Happy
snow report
Hi all Smile

PG > Yes, the forum has been repared yesterday, all is ok now Smile

Frostly > My website is on a free hebergor (Free.fr) so, it may sometimes be slow... Thanks for your congratulations Smile
ski holidays
To replace the Bouclets skilifs : LEITNER 6 DC for December 2006

> http://romain.guigon.free.fr/Actualites.htm#13_06

RG Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy