Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cold Sores

Poster: A snowHead
peanuthead, what you describe are nothing like what I get and I (and my Dr when I first had them decades ago) call cold sores. Zovirax sorts them as well.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bump.
I read this thread back in October for advice, as I always seem to suffer from cold sores from about day 3 on a ski holiday, whatever the weather.
I’m delighted to say that I came back from a 2 week trip to France at the start of December, where it was sunny everyday, with not one cold sore! Success Very Happy Very Happy

I took the L-Lysine 1x1000mg tablet per day from the start of November and used the Lysine+ lip balm liberally while skiing during the day. And I didn’t even get the warning tingle. Cool
I also bought the recommended zapping machine and Compeed plasters ( I was nothing if not determined!) but I can’t comment on their effectiveness as I never needed to use them!
So thanks to all who recommended L-Lysine , it worked for me and I’m a very happy snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just read this about a new online GP business who do special packs for cold sore sufferers who ski - seemed to work pretty well for this girl! You don't have to book a doctors appointment and just answer the relevant questions over the phone. I think the acyclovir tablets are the best option if the cream just doesn't do the job for you!

https://www.drmortons.co.uk/blog/how-i-avoided-a-cold-sore-while-skiing-harriets-testimonial/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I always used to get these very frequently. Use zovirax as soon as tingling starts, also I take aspirin or paracetamol to help reduce inflammation - not sure if this helps but it helps reduce the other aches and pains of skiing at the same time!. I also use lots of aloe kote sun protector for lips, used very liberally. Hardly a problem any more, but you have my sympathy as I know just what a misery those things can be.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, It is possible to spread it around your own body too, so a good hand cleaning regime is a good idea. It is quite common for people to get a herpes infection on an eyeball.

Be careful out there,
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Use this stuff ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Uvistat-Medicated-Protection-Lipscreen-SPF50/dp/B001D25FBS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456347279&sr=8-1&keywords=uv+lip+protection&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only on SH do people so openly discuss their herpes infection. rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bio propolis cream... works wonders.. no cure but heals quickly. .. worth a try
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First tingle of one coming on and I put some of the boots cheap equivalent of Zovirax on it and 9 out of 10 times it doesn't get past the stage of a little bit of reddening
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So bought the lysine tabs, but would need to be some jaw articulating snake to swallow them whole!! Shocked Even in bits they're tough to chug down, but will be interested to see if they help with the cold sores in general as Zovirax & equivalents don't prevent them for me.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@malarkey99, Lysine also doa lip balm that I used when out recently... RE the tabs, poss not good for you but I taken up to 6/7 a day when I feel a tingle... Quite often this keeps it at bay...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
check out lipsanna.com
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Neat tea tree oil on a bit of tissue dabbed carefully on it works well for me. Nothing else does.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The lysine balm works best for me. Try and get it on early and keep it topped up, sometimes it will kill the cold l sore before it even becomes visible.

Zovirax, aciclovor etc does nothing for me, at all. I don't care what the studies funded by the big pharma say...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What is big pharma. ?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
What is big pharma. ?

Just a generic term relating to the Pharmaceutical industry as a whole.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
What is big pharma. ?

I believe in Ambridge it's Home Farm.... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Someone once advised me to use a chap stick / lip balm as apparently it protects against the effects of cold sores by limiting the amount of oxygen that can get through

I am no scientist but I tried it this winter when the symptoms ie tingling appeared and it stopped cold sores developing, might be worth a try
snow report
@Alastair Pink, Might not be pleasant if it's big pharma Giles. Toofy Grin
snow report
Lysine Balm and tablets (lots of them)... 85% of the time these keep things at bay...
snow conditions
geepee wrote:
@Alastair Pink, Might not be pleasant if it's big pharma Giles. Toofy Grin

That's probably a different thread. Avoid sitting on the snow.
latest report
I use a small dab of deep heat cream as soon as the tingling starts. if caught early enough, can stop the cold sore developing. the heat helps the skin dry and speeds up the healing process. Just resist the temptation to lick the lips before the cream gets absorbed. Smile
ski holidays
Cochrane review, 2015, "We failed to find any evidence of efficacy for lysine"

But, you know, experts, eh?
snow conditions
@under a new name, Mind you lack of evidence of efficacy is not evidence of lack of efficacy. Looking at the summary, there was one inconclusive trial with small numbers and a high chance of bias. (But actually a small suggestion of benefit)
snow report
@T Bar, true... also, as a chronic sufferer and having been on acyclovir for ? 20 years interesting that the effects and benefits not as strong as my experience... sample size=1 of course...
snow report
Bio propolis... awsome
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy