Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowcoach to Valmeinier

Poster: A snowHead
I've finally taken the plunge and booked my first solo ski-trip.

As per the title, I'm off to Valmeinier with Snowcoach on Friday next week (25th). Any words of wisdom on how to cope with the coach travel would be appreciated, as would any inside knowledge of the resort / hotel. The pistemap looks like I should be able to cope with most of the runs (I'm a 3rd-weeker) without scaring myself half to death but if I've misread the map, please leave me comfortably ignorant.

It's a bit out of the way but if anyone's going to be in the area (ie Valmeinier or Valloire) and wants to meet up - even if it's just to watch me falling over rolling eyes - let me know!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take as much of the following as is appropriate for you:

pillow, small blanket, earplugs, portable cd/dvd/ipod players, snacks, drinks, sleeping tablets, books, gameboy.

You should find that it stops a couple of times anyway, but always better to be prepared.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Red Leon, oooh dear god. I pity you. I just go off a coach from St Gervais with Snowcoach and the whole week was a fiasco from start to finish. Customers staying in Val M with Snowcoach said the same things. I wouldn't reccomend Snowcoach to my worst enemy. Which is a pity, as friends had given them a glowing reference, and even return customers who'd loved a previous trip with Snowcoach said that the quality of service and overall holiday experience this time round was appalling.

But you're booked and going....so:

I assume you're joining the coach at Dover? In which case you'll avoid the delay of hanging around in South Mimms service stop while Snowcoach gathers in all its local transfer buses. Ferry's 1.5hrs - get a bit of drinking done on board and a slapup meal to help with the sleeping. Earlier you rush to the ferry foodcourt, the better.

You'll be driven until about 2am, at which point the coach will stop at a service station. And again at 4am. You'll arrive in resort circa 7-8am.

Coach seats "should" have a headrest and blanket, although on my return journey they weren't provided on my coach.

Take as Ray Zorro, suggests, including pillow. As well as eye mask. At Boots I also found tooth-cleaning thingees that fit over your finger and you scrub at your teeth to clean them without water - leaves a nice fresh minty flavour too.

I expected to feel awful upon arrival, but was actually ok and wide awake ready for skiing. Pack all the clothing and equipment you'll need for skiing inso that it's easily accessable - you should be on the slopes by lunchtime on day of arrival.

Also, see whether the resort lets you order and pay for your lift pass on-line and have it delivered to your hotel before your arrival - this will speed you onto the slopes as Snowcoach were shite at arranging lift passes in a timely fashion on the first day.

All I can say is good luck.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Manda,

Gee, thanks - I think!! Madeye-Smiley

Sorry you had such a poor time. Was the skiing OK once you got onto the slopes?

I'll just keep my fingers crossed that my experience is better. Not too long to wait to find out! wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow conditions were fantastic, as was Snowcoach's ski exploring service (and I recomend this aspect of the company even inspite of a guide losing 5 members of a group of 10 for an entire afternoon, on piste in broad daylight....) It's snowing right now, expected to continue into the week, so should be fantastic when you arrive. I'd love to go back to the area. If I could arrange my own travel/accomodation, and still ski with Snowcoach's guides, that'd be perfect.

Hotel facilities were perfectly adequate for a 2* hotel. However the wonderful skiing was marred every day by hotel staff behaviour, and the way in which some hotel services are provided. Much of which, having met the owner, I would put down to astounding cost-cutting policies and an inability to appreciate that the rest of the so-called "budget" TourOps market has improved its game in the last 10 years. I expect and tolerate a few niggles on every package skiing holiday (usually due to airline delays, not hotel problems), but every single day Snowcoach hotel staff threw up a new or existing problem to cast a sour taste on the days events, and they had a uncanny ability to make us feel as if the guests were there for the staff, rather than the other way round. The general feeling amongst a lot of Snowcoach guests was of being on a badly-organised Butlins-on-Snow trip circa 1982.

Suggest you ski lots, enjoy all the snow, and at night drink lots at a near-by bar to block out any problems encountered at the hotel!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Also, see whether the resort lets you order and pay for your lift pass on-line and have it delivered to your hotel before your arrival - this will speed you onto the slopes as Snowcoach were shite at arranging lift passes in a timely fashion on the first day.

It's worth checking if you can buy them online. I could have done this in Puy Saint Vincent (you upload a digital picture for the pass) but left it too late. Of course, then we had the hassle and expense of getting photos.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh dear, Manda, really sorry to hear that you had such a bad time Shocked
Red Leon, Linds and I have also just returned from a snowcoach trip to Val Cenis although we didn't take the bus, we flew. The bus trip out there was delayed at Calais by a couple of hours apparantly, but on the way home by seven... Sad
I wouldn't worry about the hotel though, the one we were in was superb in all respects - food, rooms, staff... even fellow guests Laughing We were very well looked after snowHead I would definatly reccommend. According to others, Valmeinier is just as good - and even closer to the slopes than the 300yds we were wink
Say "hello" to Claire too, she was moving to Valmenier for the rest of the season last Saturday!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 15-02-05 8:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
manda, just wondering if you raised any of these issues with the resort rep while you were out there? If not, should we invite snowcoach over here to have a chat about it? I have a sneaky suspicion that it will be due to the staff rather than the company -although the compaby must take a portion of the blame for not overseeing their staff properly
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you're over 6 foot tall, the coach will be agony. Especially on the way back.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Manda, sorry you had a less than successful time with Snowcoach. How did the solo aspect go? Was your sharer OK?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Manda, I'd really appreciate a bit more info about your problems....we're staying with Snowcoach at St Gervais next week!! Travelling independently as I can't be doing with the cattle market that is TO package travel but have booked into the Terminus Mont Blanc. What's the problem? Anything we can do to be prepared??
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rich Goodliffe,

5 feet 11 and 3 quarters - so I should be fine!! Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
homphomp: where to start:

Serving staff had arguments in front of guests during dinner, and no-one applogised to the guests. Breakfast was often laid out late, one day barely 30mins before the coach departed for the slopes, and then only because a guest got sufficently shirty enough to walk into the kitchen to ask to be fed. At which the serving staff threw dishes down in front of guests in a huff. At one meal, the salad ran out before half the table had served themselves. I asked for more, and was told that that was it, "c'est la vie"!! Another meal, the main arrived a full hour after the entree, and the meat provided was inedible (the servers blamed the kitchen, and the kitchen blamed the servers).

On all occassions bar one the meat was so tough as to be inedible. Mushrooms turned up with alarming regularity, especially for vegetarians, and the only "cake" provided for afternoon tea was a crumbly sponge. My husband's a chef, so I know how exactly what it costs a commercial kitchen can make the meals that we had. Some serious money is being scrimmed off the food budget and kitchen salaries in order to provide money to the owner. It's normal to run kitchens on a tight budget, especially in resorts, but it seems much worse than normal at Hotel Terminus, and it's at the expense of paying guests.

Guests were frequently inconvienently shunted around in order to save on transport costs. On the first day, a group of air arrivals were minibused up to the ticket office post haste without a chance for breakfast or a moment to collect themselves, in order that they could join the rest of us - but there was no need for the rush, and the air arrivals felt uneccesarily pressured, and a few were so rushed they didn't have time to collect all their ski gear and had to purchase replacement clothing on the slopes. On the final return journey to the UK 3 of us were bumped onto a later coach pickup from Val M, but no-one from Snowcoach appologised or even attempted to ease the wait. When we finally boarded the coach, our designated seats were unavailable due to HQ cock-up and the relief drivers proceeded to have a nasty arguement in front of us, objecting to having to move for paying customers. Blame got passed around amongst staff, and no-one seemed to care that we were guests trying to enjoy our holiday.

There were a number of things unrelated to staff that were mildly galling on their own, but which then added to the awfulness. I can only imagine they are due to the owner's enormous cost-skimming measures, even for a 2* hotel: e.g. having to pay extra for clean towels. The one an only apres ski was a trip to Chamonix, but it involved a 30 min trip there and back, with only 1.5 hrs in Cham, as the driver wasn't legally allowed to drive after midnite. The buses could easily be organised to take guests to St Gervais for various evenings during the week, but this never happened. Would cost money and man hours, obviously....

I could go on, but I'm getting bored now.

Short of it is, the ski area, and Snowcoach's ski-exploring is great. The hotel food's tolerable, but get B&B only if you can, and don't expect the staff to be interested in customer service.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sallyanne, actually, one of the few bonuses was that I didn't have to share with anyone! Room to myself snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nbt, don't think it would've made any difference. Blame would've been passed around and I would've been made out as a whingeing annoyance. A letter is in the post to Snowcoach HQ.

Yes, there were outrageous travel delays due to ferrys and M25, but those factors didn't upset me, and they certainly had nothing to do with staff practices.
ski holidays
Manda, Ta VM for the info....good job I like mushrooms!! We picked the hotel because of good experiences with Snowcoach in the past....but even then it was clear there was a bit of a war on between management and staff, I thought it was just a one off and it was never in front of the guests...times have changed by the look of it! Oh well, stuck with the booking now...glad to hear the skiing is going to be great, if the food gets too bad we'll just trot off to the nearest restaurant and chalk it up to experience. Hope your next trip out is so much better...
snow report
Red Leon, as for the coach journey, take a small pillow (or big jumper - rolled up) to make sleeping a possibility.Other than that, couple of beers on the ferry usually helps.
I have done 9 snowcoach trips over the last 4 years, and each one has been very enjoyable.

Val Cenis is the favourite (Going back later in the season), but the other's are all pretty good. Ski Exploring is a very sociable way to meet the other guests.
The choice of skiing in Valloire/Val M is good, plenty of variety,

Let us know what you think on your return

Manda, Shame about your experiences at St Gervais, Personnally I probably won't return to this resort/hotel as did have a few issues in 2004 with the staff. Looks like they haven't changed anything this year, shame. It is the only negative aspect of some really good holidays, and all the staff at the other resorts are first class.
snow report
homphomp, yeah, I'm not quite sure either what's happening between the various levels of management, but from staff attitudes it's obvious that there are serious problems: many hotel staff seemed grumpy, pissed off, and downright uninterested in customer service even first thing in the morning.

While the ski exploring staff were perfectly lovely around guests, there were unsubstantiated rumours going around that they were resentful of the way the resort manager was chosing the resort of the day, assigning guides to groups, and organising the driving. I know that one guide resigned mid week, and that another is off permanently to another employer at end of this season.

But you might strike it lucky and have not enough problems to upset you at the hotel - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and Red Leon snowHead !

srobbo, welcome to snowheads. Perversely I'm glad to hear that I, and the other guests I talked to who thought the service was bad, haven't been unrealistic about our experience with Snowcoach in St G!
ski holidays
srobbo, you seem to be an expert on the Snowcoach resorts. Please could you advise which resort would be best for a novice and which for a 2nd weeker ? Also which ski schools would you recommend (or not, ie. would it be better to spend the money on a few private lessons instead) and any thoughts on merit of taking 5 x full day course or the normal 5 x half day option eg. at Valmeinier where they offer both ?

Would be grateful for advice from other snowheads as well !
latest report
truffaut,

Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead The more the merrier.

I've completed 2 weeks on snow and I've booked to go to Valmeinier - A WEEK TODAY! Laughing Laughing - because the pistemap suggests I will have plenty of terrain to ski without scaring myself half to death! Val Cenis looks similar but there are less km's to practice on.

As for instruction, I wanted to book my lessons at Valmeinier (there doesn't seem to be any alternative to ESF) via the web. I emailed ESF because the website specifies "Language - Francais" on the booking form and I don't want to book specifically French lessons with the hope of changing to an English class when I arrive. Their reply was (and I haven't paraphrased), "Speak English only afternoon"!! Shocked

I much prefer the idea of ski school in the mornings (I'll be too kn@ckered after lunch to learn much at all, I suspect!) so I'm going to wait till I get there and visit the ESF office.
latest report
truffaut, welcome to Snowheads. See my post here about the experience of two novices last week in a group lesson with St Gervais EFS. [Warning: "Mind the gap" between opinions!] White Sensations operate in St G and seem to have been ok for a previous Snowhead.
snow report
truffaut, Quick run down on the snowcoach resorts:

Valmeinier, good allround resort, bit of a sun trap on good days. Certainly good for building confidence for beginners/early skiers. Linked to Valloire so plenty of choice. Good hotel.

Meribel, 3 valleys, queues ! good skiing though.

Mayrhofen, Nightlife !! Very good variety of skiing, bit of a bind getting the gondola up and back to resort. Ski safari allows chance to explore the other resorts in the Ziller valley (Hintertux worth a visit). Chalets ok,

Val Cenis, Small resort (85km, can ski most in 1-2 days if pushed) but you get the chance to ski other resorts (small surharge €20 per day), La Norma,Val Frejus,Bonneval,Termignon, and Orelle - Val Thorens. So plenty to challenge intermediate skiers. Usually get good off-piste that stays untracked, even during busy weeks. Hotel is good, 200m from lift.

St Gervais, see above comments on the hotel etc. Skiing is very varied, only downside for beginners is that you can't usually return to the hotel during the day, as you are bused to different resorts, so once your out that's it till 4pm. But certainly the best skiing for advanced skiers.
ski holidays
srobbo,

Where were you when I needed you?? Puzzled I spent ages poring over the resort pages / pistemaps etc trying to find out what you've just encapsulated!!

Do you have any insights on the ski-school in Valmeinier? As per my post above, I can't find anything on the web about schools except ESF - and they seem only to do English after lunch!! Have you ever used them? I'm worried they may be short of English-speakers
rolling eyes
snow conditions
Red Leon, the last sentence on page 375 (the one on Valmeinier) of Where to Ski & Snowboard 2005: "Don't count on English speaking in the ski school". Apparently the Snowcoach hotel has its own "skiing clinic" in the mornings (so as not to clash with afternoon ski school) but I don't quite know what it does and I got the impression its something you attend only once and is no substitute for ski school.

The official Valmeinier web page advertises a free drag lift for beginners and the possibility of pay-as-you go for 5 chair lifts. This leaves the quandary (for me as a beginner) over whether to pre-order the 6 day lift pass and get it sent to the hotel in time for my arrival or wait and see if I only end up needing eg a pass for the last 3 days. I may need to try and phone or email the ESF there for advice.
ski holidays
truffaut,

Ski school will be a giggle if the instructor’s English is as basic as my French! I guess “bend ze knees and follow me” might have to suffice. Shocked Still, I’m virtually a beginner so I guess I’ll benefit from just doing the miles – sorry, kilometres.

You can buy your liftpass online here but only if there's time for them to post it back to you, apparently. They say 15 days is needed.

I booked my trip late so I mailed them asking whether it was too late (10 days before departure) to buy online and the reply was,

"A ce jour, il est trop tard pour acheter un forfait en ligne, nous ne prenons pas le risque de vous l'envoyer par la poste, le temps restant est trop court. Mais vous pourrez venir le chercher aux caisses"

My French isn't great but the first sentence says it’s too late to buy online as ‘we won’t risk the post’ but the second sentence I translated as, “But you may come to look for it (the pass, presumably) at the kiosks”. This made me wonder whether I could buy online and collect the pass from the kiosk, so I asked for clarification and was told,

"Vous ne pouvez pas acheter un forfait en ligne, il est trop tard. Vous devrez acheter votre forfait aux caisses de Valmeinier le jour de votre arrivée sur la station "

So, I’ll be buying my pass when I get there! rolling eyes
snow conditions
The coach that flipped in Germany at the weekend was Club Cantabrica, which operates the Snowcoach
ski holidays
I thought it was, CC own Snowcoach I believe.... after various comments on this and other threads, especially from Manda, are their "cost cutting exercises" becoming dangerous...
snow conditions
It was alleged, repaeat alleged that the coach was speeding and on the wrong tyres. The company deny this.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I reckon they'll be extra careful when I go this Friday, then!!
ski holidays
Rich Goodliffe, really?!!!!!! Huh.
Yes, CC own Snowcoach. Coaches to the slopes are logoed Club Cantabrica, not Snowcoach, so it must've been the Snowcoach bus from Mayrhofen (they only go to the one Austrian ski resort). Oooo speculation abounds as to the cause. I like speculation Toofy Grin

Just for the record, I'm only speculating the about cost cutting exercises (although I think it's a reasonable conclusion to come to based on the kinds of problems I experienced).

Red Leon I shouldn't worry too much - a company once bitten normally becomes massively obsessed with preventing further bites.
ski holidays
Red Leon, as for lessons in Val M, not personally had any experience, but a few friends have, and their skiing improved quickly over the week. Shouldn't be a problem with lots of English speaking staff. If I remember correctly they did lessons both morning and afternoon (but this was a week with lots of kids - so may not be normal)

Sorry about the delay, but nipped up to Glencoe for skiing on satuday, powder and blue sky in Scotland !
latest report
Manda

"...it must've been the Snowcoach bus from Mayrhofen (they only go to the one Austrian ski resort)..."

They actually fo to Kirchdorf as well and the crash happened on the way to Mayrhofen, I believe
snow conditions
Anyone panicking out there after Manda gave such a bad report of the Club Hotel Terminus at Le Fayet, panic no more. I think she must have hit a bad week but they've got their act together and we've just come back from a fab week! Service couldn't have been better, food was up to standard for a Club Hotel and the wine was more than passable! My only complaint would be that the hotel is set in a tiny little town with absolutely no French charm or anywhere to go except the hotel bar....hic!
latest report
homphomp, really pleased that you had as good a time with snowcoach as Linds and I did! Let's hope that Red Leon comes back with good reviews, too!
ski holidays
homphomp, glad you had a good time! I'm not surprised tho - they could only get better. It IS a pity about the town facilities - would be nice if Snowcoach got their act together and ran their buses up to St G a few evenings, or made more about the thermal spa services. The restaurant we were booked into for the depature dinner tho, was lovely and French - I think a lot of Terminus customers get sent there as it's one of the few in town, and the waiters all knew we were "supposed" to be finished our meal by 9pm for our coach! (altho we were actually delayed by 2.5hrs). And did you make the mandatory shopping trip down to the Quechua outlet? Made my mouth water, all that tasty ski wear at great prices! Very Happy
snow report
Manda, Methinks that your complaining letter may have had something to do with our great holiday...pity someone has to suffer to make them sit up and take notice! Avoided the shopping outlets....I can't resist temptation and I really don't need any more kit! I agree that a couple of trips up to St Gervais in the evening would have been nice...it looked like a good place for a few beers....but then wouldn't the drivers run out of hours again ruining the ski safari???? Can't have everything I suppose.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy