Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ALTITUDE SICKNESS/ALTITUDE BODY COMPLAINTS

Poster: A snowHead
Could all this be the reason I get knackered really quickly or am I just overweight ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Who ate all the pies........
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Adam Holt, Just the sleep (or lack of!) issues in Soldeu? Any other problems?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Paul Mason, How are we, the great SnowHead public to decide if you are overweight? Facts, vital statistics please! It may be that you are just plainly unfit like many of us!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen Beaumont,
If bunged all year ask GP about using said spray all year (I assume it's Flixonase or its ilk) or allerg tests.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fruity, there may be other beneficial side effects as well. wink

Helen Beaumont, slikedges, I'm not sure that a nasal spray or decongestant would help with the sinus irritation that occurs at alttitude, and it may even make nosebleeds worse.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer,
Steroidal might help, "decongestant" won't. But I'm not suggesting use on ski trip per se anyway. Either may make nosebleeds worse as alluded to further up thread. Probably largely effect of physical trauma on administration - not sure.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think that steroids can cause nosebleed independantly of the trauma of administration. I would stick to the old favourite of plenty of fluids, avoid dehydration.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sure. Local atrophy. Not sure if main reason tho, as often poor technique.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Or surreptitious nose picking.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is there another kind? wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Has anyone used a Heat Exchange Balaclava or similar at altitude?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges, there's blatant nose picking, which often occurs in traffic jams.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, but the perpetrators think they're being surreptitious (whilst actually their endeavours make repulsive yet compelling viewing to other road users)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex, I've not used them myself, but friends who have used similar things tell me that they are very good when it gets very cold. I tend to just pull my neck gaiter up over my mouth.

Which also allows me a spot of surreptitious nose picking. wink
snow report
Quote:

Which also allows me a spot of surreptitious nose picking

Nothing wrong in topping up the immune system wink

I wonder.How much of altitude type symptoms may be suggestive,as in sea sickness.Have witnessed one or two odd occurrences involving people who were focused on how they were 'always ill' Puzzled During the day,out on the piste,having a ball,no problems.Evening,back in chalet,calmer(and lower)time to think,feeling moby dick.Now,is the fun bit masking the symptoms,or are the symptoms only appearing when the mind gives them a chance??Whats this to do with sea sickness Confused Well,its well known amongst us part time sea dogs that,if you give someone something to do they are rarely sick.Conversely,there are some who feel sick just stepping on a boat,simply because they 'expect' to be ill.I even knew a chap once who went to sea with his own bucket,and he was always ill(no great surprise)The mind can play very powerful tricks on us all.Obviously this would not apply in cases of severe physical symptoms,or those that assist it with dehydration etc.
Any 'doc' got an opinion on this?
latest report
snowskisnow, the psychosomatic effect is extremely strong, however I think that having some "symptoms" when at alttitude is really quite common. I know a lot of people who have trouble sleeping at alttitude, and generally feel less than %100. As with all these things, when we are busy skiing, we tend to forget about our symptoms, however when we stop skiing and start to focus on our symptoms, they get worse. This is a normal reaction, which is why when you get a minor symptom the best thing that you can do is to take some sort of remedy, and then try and forget about it, usually it will go away, if it doesn't then it may well be worth further investigation.
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:

[b]Helen Beaumont
, slikedges, I'm not sure that a nasal spray or decongestant would help with the sinus irritation that occurs at alttitude, and it may even make nosebleeds worse.

I'm fairly well aware of that which is why I don't use them. The saline nose drops help though, and the damp towels etc. You can buy them fairly cheaply (certainly less than £2) at any friendly local pharmacy that DOESN'T rhyme with SHOOTS.
latest report
It is something to consider when going to the US rockies as their bases can be 9000ft plus.
Jet lag and altitude adjustment means the trip should be a 10 dayer, minimum IMO.

I am lucky I only get the lack of sleep but that is only apparent for me over 2000m.
But since the days of partying all night have long gone maybe a few light pills will help. Funnily enough I have never considered that before, thanks.
A fitness regime and a sleep regime and I should be skiing like a demon..

Best book something for Mar now...!!
latest report
slikedges wrote:
With regard to nose irritation/dryness/dripping/bleeding, it is known that altitude has an effect on nasal mucociliary clearance and on ion transport in the nasal lining Puzzled , both of which would affect the quantity and consistency of secretions. . Very Happy

So. What happens to eyeball tissues?
ski holidays
We stayed in Breckenridge (10,000 ft) a couple of years ago and had a humidifier in the room.
Definately helps with the dry throat, but did not make much difference to ability to sleep.

I usually suffer a loss of appetite for a couple of days, and lots of farting and burping. I tell everyone its just pressure equilisation, but have not managed to convince anyone of this yet! Anyone else get this or am I just weird? Laughing

I find lots of water and a couple of aspirin at night help alot.
latest report
I concur with all of the above and will add a wobbly tummy too - not full blown diahorrea (spelling?) but a definately doggy tummy every day (at least two major visits to the loo a day!). I've tried avoiding too much to drink and too much rich food - neither has made any difference. It usually clears by about lunch time but I always start the day feeling slightly 'under par' when we stay at altitude. I get up asking why do I inflict this on myself voluntarily twice a year Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
Found this which might give some useful tips.
Lorraine Agass, I know what you mean, and I dont usually stay that high. Can remember feeling awful in Belle Plagne though. Crashing out at 9pm then waking at 1pm and couldn't sleep. Then too tired for skiing the next day.
snow conditions
comprex wrote:

Retinal haemorrhage
ski holidays
Bernard Condon, last time in Soldeu I suffered with appalling hhmmmm .... runs! looking back on it, it clearly was food poisoning. A lot of people seem to get some of these symptoms in Andorra perhaps due to poor hygiene standards with all the buffet food.

Dave J, the pressure equalisation .... ah yes indeed, know it well.

Lorraine Agass, me too - see above! very nearly invented a number of brown runs on several occassions! I also wonder why i inflict this upon myself!

I found that when I stayed away from the richer foods this time in Cervinia - (where it was 5 course every night!) such as going a bit easy on the dessert or laying off rich tomatoey sauces etc then I wasn't too bad. If I did stuff myself then not only could I not sleep at night but I also suffered from awful bloating and heartburnyness - terrific fun really - highly recommend it! This then at some point led on to fartyness and burpiness ... and then perhaps the next day runnyness!! ... you see its all linked snowHead
snow conditions
Adam Holt, On a need to know basis - do we really need to know???!!!
Seriously though, the piece I posted on Page 1 of this topic re 'Snow Organisms' is valid. I was amused when I heard of it first, but I believe it now. People are careless when skiing - opening boot clasps, handling skis, etc then straight into a restaurant/bar and then eating is the one major cause of 'Bug Transfer'. It can be prevented!!!
latest report
comprex,

Quote:

Don't know exactly. I know that dry air and UV exposure are issues but the former is only an irritation to most, and the latter is prevented by wearing decent shades (essential to avoid serious damage). Retinal haemorrhage isn't something I'd expect at recreational skier altitudes (<4000m). Why do you ask?

snowskisnow,
I agree with Kramer, mild non-specific symptoms are made worse by psycho-emotional overlay. Of course there is little evidence of an association between neurotic personality and true motion sickness, much less true altitude sickness.
snow report
slikedges, I ask because RK and Lasik-correction has been popular among my friends (one of whom had a spontaneous retinal separation this week, and another has chronic eye dryness).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex,

I remember hearing something about a couple of climbers who'd had Lasik and developed retinal haemorrhages - can't remember where I came across it. But of course one of the complications of Lasik (at sea-level too) is retinal haemorrhage.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy