Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I just bought a pair of Rossignol 177's with Logic marker 5.2 bindings.I am 5' 10" tall,230 lbs,and wear a size 29.5 ski boot. My question is how do I set the bindings? I'm a newbie at the technical end of the sport. Also I would fall under the intermediate skill catagory.Need some advice on this subject.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
finatic, Hope you got a good price on those; you may have to change the bindings to match your size and strength. Which model Rossi did you get?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
finatic, the DIN settings of the bindings are adjusted according to your height, weight, length of boot sole (which influences leverage/force transmitted into the binding units) and 'skier type' (not just your ability - your speed/aggressiveness are factors). Ask a ski shop to show you the adjustment chart, and a technician might help you calculate your setting.

The other critical adjustment is the distance between toe and heel units of the binding. For this you need to know where the forward force indicator is located, and know that when the boot is in the binding, the indicator is showing the correct forward force.

It's only a 5-minute job for a ski shop, so maybe they'd help you out with all this.

A simple return-to-centre test should be performed on the bindings (punching the boot sideways at the toe) to see that it's functioning OK.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
finatic, young Goldsmith is not usually so diplomatic (so you do have a fluffy side after all, David) - I think he is gently telling you that getting bindings right is not a job for beginners. You do this at your peril. Go to a ski shop and get them to do it for you. This is not really advice. It's more an order.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
finatic, it will cost you about $20 to get a shop to do them. That would be my advice.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Whats the normal fore/aft clearance of a boot in a binding and how critical is it?
I've noticed quite a lot of variation over the years.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rich, I am not sure I understand your question properly.

Do you speak of
1) fore/aft clearance between a heel-cup and the rear boot lug when the binding is in the closed (ready to ski) position?
My understanding: There shouldn't be any otherwise your forward-pressure setting is meaningless.

2) fore/aft clearance between the UPPER LIP of the heel cup (not the inside face) and the rear of the boot SHELL (not rear lug) when the binding is in the closed (ready to ski) position?
My understanding: Upper lip depth is a design-dependent issue associated with the nominal setting of the forward pressure spring, its available travel distance and general reliability/response time. As one might know from valve work on cars, springs aren't exactly instantaneous in their response. This is not an adjustment reference.

3) fore/aft clearance between a heel-cup and the rear boot lug when the binding is in the open (ready to step into) position?
My understanding: This depends on the heel cup design, pivot point location, and cam profile, but is utterly meaningless since no one with brains would use this as an adjustment reference (unless they've one of those sad plastic-heel-cup Sollys or Tyrolias of old that would snap bits off).

4) fore/aft clearance between the toe lug of the boot and the contact pad at the toe (or wings).
My understanding: If you see any, have your binding checked.

5) Other clearances (under the toelug, say)?

6) Forward pressure variations?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maybe I'm misunderstanding how the binding works.
From what you're saying with boot in binding both heel and toe peices push towrds each other and there should be no movement possible.
Thats a bit worrying because I've had hire skis that allowed a small amount of for/aft boot movement.

The worst I had was a pair of Fritschi Diamir touring bindings, would these be different?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rich wrote:

Thats a bit worrying because I've had hire skis that allowed a small amount of for/aft boot movement.

Could be badly adjusted; could also just be slip of the toepiece or heel in the demo track. Some older demo/rental bindings just terrify me.

Quote:

The worst I had was a pair of Fritschi Diamir touring bindings, would these be different?

Don't know. I've only used Dynafits, sorry!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
finatic,

Listen to Dr Jonpim,
Either know what you are doing or get a tech to do it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I note finatic's post at the top of this thread was his first. We forgot our manners and failed to welcome him, and no more has been heard from him since. I do hope he didn't fail to take our advice, go off skiing on incorrectly set bindings and is now languishing in some hospital ward waiting for various bones to heal.
finatic, are you OK?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy