Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

perfect resort for april 2006

Poster: A snowHead
I have been asked to start organising a group holiday for easter 2006 ( Not sure of dates yet ) We are a mixed bunch of mainly beginner and intemediate skiers and 4 boarding kids. Some of the women like shops and other attractions apart from full days skiing. We would also like pretty scenery, sunshine and nice eating/drinking holes. ( I know we want it all ! )

I was thinking of small qauint places near large skiing areas. Can anyone offer any thoughts on Vaujany, St Martin De Belleville, Les Gets or indeed any other suggestions.

Many thanks Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depending on dates, the likes of St Martin de Belleville, while quaint, is rather low for April.

I would suggest the likes of Bourg Saint Maurice wink - easy access to the Les Arcs slopes, with the option to reach other snowsure resorts, a short drive away.

Otherwise if you want to be slopeside, the genuinely snowsure resorts in April are hardly "quaint"! La Rosière would be pleasant enough, early in the month, unless you are really unlucky with the weather.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Banff provides what you want, I think (I'm told that the shopping is good, although it is Canada). It's a bit low on quaint, but it has plenty of character. I've skied there for the last 8 Easters and the snow has varied from perfectly OK to excellent.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you go early in April try Flims/Laax/Falera in Switzerland. Reasonably snow sure (last year the upper slopes had >300cm but the lower slopes were quite thin, in April) and Laax is quite nice and Falera very quaint. Flims has all the shops (you could also combine it with a day/night in Zurich enroute there or back). Also Courmayeur though not particularly snow sure can be okay in April (170/35 last April) and is quite nice, and Cervinia and La Thuile are both reachable for a day's skiing as is Aosta for a day's shopping. That's also a good time of year to do the Vallee Blanche as the weather's normally better but there's still enough snow.

I'm sure there are loads more, these are just two that I've been to that fit the bill.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Easter is quite late next year. Easter Sunday is 16th April. If the holiday is related to school holidays, many are now fixing the spring break as the first two weeks of April regardless of where Easter actually falls.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Karen

Can I suggest Seefeld in Austria, a very quaint town with some chic shops and 3 different mixed ability ski areas ( although not loads of skiing)...thre is also a glacier fairly nearby for the more adventurous.

Or Les Gets....may I point you in the direction of a certain website that a friend runs for some excellent chalet options for your group www.snowteam.com

Inga
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
karencannon, Vaujany might be OK for the skiing (links very easily into Alpe d' Huez) but it has no shops, and not much by way of bars or restaurants. It's mainly a chalet holiday place and dominated by Ski Peak. They have a great reputation - 'domination' just means no other T.O. has really bothered with the village.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
karencannon, Zermatt.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
karencannon, I would disagree with PG about La Rosiere, it is very snow sure, check out the Ski Clubs historical records they typically show 2metres of snow in April. In fact the resort doesn't usually shut until 1st May. It has some of the most amazing scenery in the Alps and is still a village, small enough to be friendly yet large enough to be able to offer all the amenities you'd expect to find in a ski-resort. I see you're from Banchory, do you know a family called Pope? Their son John, who is studying Law at Edinburgh, was our ski-host last year, a few family memebers came out to see him, so they'll be able to tell you all about la Rosiere from first hand experience. Altenatively why not do a recce this year, we've still got some spaces available for late April.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 12-02-05 13:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Still think it's a risk to go anywhere later in the month of April these days other than the really high resorts. La Ros was certainly fine last year at the end of April, although we had some good snowdepths mid-season, considerably better than at the moment. Let's hope this weekend's snowfall will improve things.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG wrote:
Otherwise if you want to be slopeside, the genuinely snowsure resorts in April are hardly "quaint"! La Rosière would be pleasant enough, early in the month, unless you are really unlucky with the weather.

Saas Fee and Zermatt would be though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also watch out for resort closing dates !!
A lot of resorts close quite early even when there is still a lot of snow around. Its simply because there are not enough paying customers.
The Monterosa resorts of Gressonay,Champoluc and Alagna being a good example.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Would anyone risk Meribel at the beginning of APril - planning a cheap coach weekend and really not sure about amount of snow?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
helenjane, Méribel, hmm. Was at the British Children's Champs that ran from April 4th to 6th last year, in Méribel. Conditions were horrible. On the morning of the 5th we were all sheltering by the main lift office as the rain deluged down. Absolutely miserable weather. Just a little higher at Mottaret it was sleeting, at the high resorts of Val T/Tignes/Arc 2000 etc they were getting a welcome dump of fresh snow.

It's being held in the same place, same dates in 2005. Can't say I'm looking forward to it!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
helenjane, nope, no, never, not on your nellie.

March last year in Meribel was awful from mid-point station down - snow very slushy from 11am, had to hike every morning over the hill to Val T (highest resort in Alps) or Courchevel (manages to maintain excellent snow cover throughout season). Most people I've spoken to who've been in Meribel in March say the same thing. Does anyone know whether Meribel enjoys good spring snow conditions i.e. late dumps in April?
snow conditions
helenjane, nope, no, never, not on your nellie.

March last year in Meribel was awful from mid-point station down - snow very slushy from 11am, had to hike every morning over the hill to Val T (highest resort in Alps) or Courchevel (manages to maintain excellent snow cover throughout season). Most people I've spoken to who've been in Meribel in March say the same thing. Does anyone know whether Meribel enjoys good spring snow conditions i.e. late dumps in April?
ski holidays
We have had some very good skiing in Les Gets in mid to late March and are going there in late march this year( for sixth time). As Easter is much later next year could be risky with regard to snow conditions but Les Gets certainly meets most of your other requirments. The only time I have been skiing as late as 16th April was on my Honeymoon 20yrs ago when we went to Obergurgl in Austria the snow conditions were excellent and the resort empty. Fantastic skiing but my wife did not appreciate us being in different allday ski schools!
snow conditions
helenjane, as long as you go for Mottaret rather than Meribel, and as long as you don't mind slush (I love it!) then you'll be fine. I must admit though that out of my maybe 10 days ever skiing in rain, 2 or 3 have been in Meribel at Easter (the rest in Scotland). Given the choice I would still go for Tignes, ValT or Zermatt in April.
snow report
Thanks all, limited by pennies and time, will risk meribel as only 3 days 2 of us and no kids so able to hike to the top and be out all day.
snow report
Manda, did you go week of 13th march last year?

i went to mottart then too, it was very warm but very nice...i had a bloody marvellous time, skiing in my shorts on the wednesday!!

Think it was a freaily warm week to be honest, i gather they had pretty good conditions in April following a dump at end of march/early april.

karencannon, Im going to Belle Plagne April this year after much advice form everyone here, so surely a reasonable bet for 2006, especially with a mixed ability group?

That said, if you need shopping i guess Courchevel is surely the place, or any of the posh places in Switzerland, or even Chamonix?!
snow conditions
kevinrhead, please excuse my fellow snowHeads... and welcome snowHead wink
ski holidays
kevinrhead, welcome to snowHeads.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy