Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Maier Retires

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
Vienna - Austrian skiing icon Hermann Maier said Tuesday that he would retire immediately, ending his career as one of the sports most successful athletes. The visibly moved 36-year-old racer announced his decision after having won two Olympic golds, three world titles, four overall World Cup wins and 54 race wins.

In the history of alpine skiing, only Sweden's Ingemar Stenmark was more successful in the World Cup.

Maier made a spectacular comeback after a serious motorcycle accident in 2001, but the long-term effects of his injuries hampered him in recent seasons.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/289946,austrian-skiing-icon-hermann-maier-retires.html
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I shall miss the
big man.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What a legend. I find ski racing a bit boring to watch (sorry Embarassed) but this guy was never boring.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sad news but I guess it was expected. A great skier and a big character.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
REally sad that he is retiring but better to go when you can still perform that the start being a bit of a joke.

Was honoured to meet him in New Zealand in 2003 amazing man.

Andy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shame Crying or Very sad Will miss "Mr Super-G" - He was always good to watch, even if he was obviously not as consistent the last few seasons. Still managed to pull the odd win out though.
A legend.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Seen this coming for a couple of seasons - but it's still very sad to hear.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GOODNIGHT SWEET PRINCE

NEVAR FORGET
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For me the best there ever was, no finer sight than the Herminator tearing down the mountain.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sehr viel dank Hermann, mein Held, Servus! snowHead

I saw this live Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/QZ3jgtLdU6A&feature=PlayList&p=7E676066D45B8A46&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=5
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hermann said he's going on holiday somewhere warm and then coming back to ski the Powder. Must say he didn't do back for a bricklayer. Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
he was pretty cut up about it on the telly. I think I'll watch a bit less skiing from now on - I loved tuning in to see him charge down the hill, nobody came close to his style or excitement to watch for me (mabye Cuche?).

His auto-biography was a great read (maybe will be updated to take in his retirement run-up now), especially around his long recovery from the bike smash - it's amazing that he's even walking about!

On a more depressing note, I'm a year younger than him, which means there's only one year left for me to emulate the Hermannator!!! Laughing Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gutted to say the least as he was the one person lately that I would tune in to watch, apart maybe from Bode Miller nowadays, always pushing it to teh ragged edge.

Must say though some forumers on here speaking like he's dead! No need to be so dramatic!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Absolute legend. Very few characters/personalities left in the sport like him. On upside, may be more chances to spot him on the slopes in Amade. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Hermann Maier did not initially enjoy much success in ski racing. As a 15-year old at the Schladming ski academy, he was sent home after being told he wouldn't succeed because of his slight build, caused by growth impairments. He returned home to his hometown of Flachau and his father's ski school, which remains Maier's home. He took up work as a bricklayer in the summer and a ski instructor in the winter.

Participating in local races, Maier became a multiple regional champion in Salzburg and Tyrol, but still was not able to gain a spot in the strong Austrian World Cup ski team. Putting that behind him, his outstanding talent was recognized for the first time by Austrian coaches on January 6, 1996, when he was timed with the 12th fastest time in a World Cup giant slalom in Flachau, although only starting as a forerunner, not participating in the actual competition.[citation needed] This would become the starting point of his international career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Maier

There was a short interview with Hermann on Austrian TV last night. Basically a knee operation and mountainbike accident meant he couldn't train much for this season. Although his ski trainning at Sölden went well he said it was the first time in a long while he was on skis without having pain. Hermann said in the early years his body was a machine but now he's older the aches, pains along with frequent colds were more frequently there. Last friday while sat at his home he finally decided not to put his body through any more. He was glad to retire with his health, has recently become an uncle and said that having offspring was important.
latest report
There are strong rumours that Maier will be the new head trainner for the Men's Austrian ski team.
snow conditions
Current guy being sacked because of the poor showing in Vancouver?
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Current guy being sacked because of the poor showing in Vancouver?

Yep, he (Anton Giger) knows his days are numbered. Giger had fantastic reults back in the early 2000's with the likes of Maier and Eberharter but Vancover was worse than Man Utd being relegated.
snow conditions
Quote:

worse than Man Utd being relegated

Some of us are old enough to remember Denis Law's back heel (when he was playing for rivals Man City) that put his old club down to the then 2nd division. Happy days.

Maier would be a good choice I reckon. He knows the tracks, knows the gear and, most importantly, how to win.
ski holidays
Quote:

but Vancover was worse than Man Utd being relegated.

Depends on your point of view Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Was speaking to a very wise ski sage last night and he made the point that all the major alpine nations with the big Ski Schools are struggling due to a lack of progression within their own systems?

Now they are still the big dogs in the ski world and in the technical events the Austrians and French still have the best skiers IMHO.

But have they reached a point where the have to asses their entire programmes especially the French as they really seem to be struggling.
ski holidays
Maier is my idol - has been for the past decade; but the attributes that made him such a brilliant and successful skier was his individualistic focus on his success - i'm not sure that's is what's needed. But what do i know.

Similar parallels with Nick Faldo in the Ryder Cup ?
snow conditions
not sure about that sev112, Maier is arguably the best ever, Faldo aint in that league in his sport. though i do get that that aint necessarily the comparison you were making, just saying!
ski holidays
Being best skier (or one of best at least) on World, doesn't guarantee you will be any good of a coach. From all main coaches of any WC team, I don't think anyone of those guys was great skier himself. They were skiers, but noone was in league of Stenmark, Tomba or Meier.
With Austrian base of coaches, and hierarchy in it, it feels extremely unlikely they will pick someone without any experience as Giger's replacement. If Giger will be replaced at all. Skiing in Austria is different then football, where coaches are changed when team loses match or two, so personally I wouldn't be surprised, if Giger will continue his job.
ski holidays
I think it unlikely that Hermann Maier will become a coach - he's too busy making adverts for his bank Laughing And, as primoz says, being able to ski doesn't mean you can get others up to the same level. I too wouldn't be surprised if Toni Giger stays in charge. I would find that fine, for a team that had skiers 4-5-6 and 4-5 in big events, a few hundreths of a second behind the medal winners, and has four skiers in the top 11 in the overall WC rankings, isn't really bad. Austria hasn't done that well in the speed events this year but has been, for example, great in slalom. The disappointing results in the Olympics just gives the press something to write about.

My bet is that Giger will stay in charge, at least till after next year's World Championships.
ski holidays
My guess is Maier will be the figure head on a new team of experienced trainers and Giger will go.
latest report
He's a legend and been a great ambassador for the sport !
snow conditions
How's this for some edge control:

Really did not know this: he was invited to ride first in the prologue (first race) in the Tour de France 2003. Never heard of a non-cyclist doing this before or since:
ski holidays
his book is well worth a read, the story of coming back from his injury is amazing. I loved the atomic publicity poster put out after his crash, it was the x-ray of his destroyed leg, with the words "I'll be back" Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy